Notices

Have you had a piece of "humble pie" lately?

Old 09-11-2012, 05:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Have you had a piece of "humble pie" lately?

Two things I've learned in this life...Do not judge other's, and don't take yourself to seriously. It'll come back and bite you in the butt. Friday night at Rehab a young outpatient related to the group about her problems with driving. She decided not to drive because she can not help but speed and get tickets. She said it is just the way she is. (as if she can't change) Of course everyone in the group gave their advice and of course I had to put my 2 cents worth in.

I told of how several years ago after getting 3 tickets in one month, I decided I'd had enough, I consciously made the effort not to speed etc, etc...
It can be done...if I can do, it you can do it, blah, blah, blah.

Well I ate a little "humble pie" on the way home that night.

It's a one hour trek for me each way, 3 nights a week for 6 weeks and this is after working an 8 hour shift...these 3 days each week are gonna be long ones and I still have 5 weeks and 1 day left. Anyway's on my way home Friday night you can guess what happened.

I was 5 minutes from home...All was well until I hit the highway's ON ramp. I revved the engine kicked it in gear, picking up speed, l was lost in "La La" land (recapping the evening), when I happened to look down at my speedometer. Yep, you got it, I was doing 75 in a 65 speed zone. I quickly corrected my speed, but not quick enough.

Lights were flashing behind me...I was a bit dumbfounded, afterall it was me the one who hasn't gotten a ticket in years because I finally got that part of my life under control.

So, the officer comes to my window explaining why he pulled me over (speeding). He asked, Where are you coming from? I said, "Wichita".
"What were you doing in Wichita?" I told him relunctantly, "Rehab". "Why are you going to rehab, drugs, alcohol?" I said "alcohol". He continues, "Did you get in trouble, is that why you are going?" I said, "No, I admitted myself, knowing I need extra help to recover" He commended me asked for my license and insurance, went to his car checked me out, came back and said...

"Laura, I'm happy for you that you are taking the action necessary for your recovery and I wish you luck. This time I am only going to issue you a warning, just remember don't speed! and good luck with your recovery."

Whew! Wow!, I thanked him profusely. And of course I had to humble myself to the class last night. They all laughed.

I learned a few lessons from this experience.

1. From time to time we are all gonna slip in life. (it's okay as long as we learn from it and pick ourselves back up)
2. Don't brag!
3. Don't take yourself too seriously.
4. Be honest! (I think that is what got me off the hook.)

My HP must have wanted me to learn something from this experience and I did. I found out that I can still be humbled! and appreciate it!

Anyone else eat some humble pie of late?

Thanks SR, Laura
Old 09-11-2012, 05:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's awesome!