Notices

Sanity Restoration

Old 09-10-2012, 08:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sanity Restoration

Today was simply an amazing day. Over the past several years, alcohol has estranged me from my immediate family. The drunk road has been a lonely one. As a mom and now a Grandma, that has been especially difficult. Slowly but surely, the sanity is being restored in my life. I just received a phone call from my son who wrote me off three years ago. We had a wonderful conversation and my grandson sang me a song he learned in preschool. I talked with my brother earlier today, and my daughter this morning. All happy, loving, normal conversations that sober people have with their family members on a daily basis. I am grateful, humble and so very happy. Stick with it everyone. Don't let alcohell rob you of daily happiness and simple pleasures ever again. If I can do this, trust me, you can to. 74 hours away from 8 months of continuous sobriety and it is so worth it. Hang in there - sanity restoration is a glorious, joyful gift and is yours for the asking.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations on all those wonderful things T - you deserve them

D
Old 09-10-2012, 08:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

What a wonderful post! I'm so happy for you

So true that it's a lonely road. I think most people who drink to excess are lonely even in a crowd. We always feel different from others. Stopping brings a normalcy that is refreshing and rewarding.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Awesome. It's so great to see you living life the way it's meant to be.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Bravo! This is what its about. Im very happy for you!
Old 09-10-2012, 11:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Your post is very inspiring, nonblonde! Congrats on being reunited with your son. I share your joy and enthusiasm for the sober life. I don't want to let go of all of the good in my life. Continuing to do what is working seems like the definition of sanity to me.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It is indeed an awesome experience to see the healing and the mending taking place for all on this journey of sobriety. What a blessing!
Old 09-11-2012, 04:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the inspiration. Its early days for me but the hope is to regain sanity through any/all means , do the work needed and heal myself and mend with others I have wronged
Old 09-11-2012, 05:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey, NBC, I'm so happy you've reconnected with your son. That's absolutely wonderful and the best reason to stay sober! Hearing this made my day.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm so happy that you are regaining precious moments that addiction has taken from you. May you continue to be blessed beyond your wildest dreams!!
Old 09-11-2012, 05:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

That's wonderful! A similar thing happened to me when I sobered up. I tried to convince myself it was ok to not be in touch, and I didn't need people who didn't understand what I'd gone through. Then when I began to come out of my fog & talk to them again, I felt lighter than air. It was a huge burden lifted - that I didn't even realize I'd been carrying.

It'll keep getting better! Congratulations on your 8 months!
Old 09-11-2012, 05:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you ladies - we are all in this together, no? I love you both!! And YVRGuy, it doesen't matter if it is day 1 or day 1,000 - just taking the steps to silence the beast, listen to your higher power and know that as our bodies mend our minds do, too. Sanity is a beautiful thing and I am so happy to read that you are working hard to regain your footing without drinking. I'm proud of you - don't stop!