Notices

How do I maintain stamina to fight cravings?

Old 09-11-2012, 12:34 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gabriel
Hypo, you used the word lethargic and that's how I feel after staying away from the bottle. It is the appropriate word for me. Oddly enough, I had a lot more motivation when I drank and seemed unstoppable. Now I am having to live life differently and I think your suggestion about doing something positive will aid me in the near future.
Me too... I was a very busy girl when I was drinking, out practically every night of the week, lots of projects. But then my body and mind started to pack up on me. We can only cope with so much.

Originally Posted by Gabriel
Yes, I have started a lot of things and by this point I have an oven with about 100 back burners =) Slowly, as Sugarbear said, I will add more 'details' into my life but I think one of the problems I have had with stamina is trying to do too much at once.
^^ I'm just like this too. I always have too many jobs on the go, my mind flits from one thing to another and I find it hard to concentrate. But I do know that I work really well under pressure. Stick a deadline in front of me or an exam to work towards and I'll get the job done. This is why I think structure is really helpful. The addiction counsellor I see writes out tasks for me to do and I know I'll get them done because I'll get told off if I haven't done my homework! In the mean time procrastinating on SR can never be a bad thing Maybe think about how you learn best. If you need more structure then getting a sponsor might provide that.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:45 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I remain very focused and mindful of my last hangover, i try to set aside about 5 mins a day whilst brushing my teeth as my thinking about a hangover time .
This ensures i will never forget how bad that feeling is and how wonderfull the freedom of not drinking is .

How glorious it is being given all the oppertunities of one day of life . How much i can smell, feel, see, laugh, cry, share a smile with someone, hear a baby laugh the laugh of an innocent, ease someones suffering, stroke a cat behind the ears, build some compassion .. How could i waste even a moment in the fog of alcohol when there is so much to love and enjoy . That's my motivation .

Bestwishes, M
Old 09-11-2012, 01:41 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hypo, I can picture you and I working together. We would get along quite well. Just today I thought about how I received my first Masters degree all while drinking. I am about to complete a second but this time, sober. I tend to dream big though when on the booze and then it all goes out the window.

Mecanix, I think your point of, "what would I be doing with this time if I were drunk/hungover" is good for me to think about. I have wasted a lot of time and really, that's all we humans have to make the most of our lives. That's another good thing to think about to keep my stamina up as well as keeping up an exercising routine, or general routine.

Wishing you all the best! ~G.