Notices

Almost drank

Old 09-10-2012, 02:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Almost drank

Literally 30 minutes ago. I knew for the past two weeks that I had four warm beers in the pantry, but successfully ignored them. Today, got home from work at 4:30 and decided, tonight's the night. I just need to take the edge off and make the night a little more interesting (ridiculous I know). I took two and put them way back in the freezer to get cold. In the meantime, I ate dinner, had iced tea and cleaned up the kitchen. Almost in a split second, the craving passed, and I decided I'd rather have a cup of tea. I took the beers out (I KNOW I should dump them, but I haven't yet) and put them back in the pantry to get warm again.

Hunger, for me, has ALOT to do with it. Once I ate, I felt the craving lift. There are just certain times during the day when the idea of not drinking at night seems totally incomprehensible. I can't wait for that to go away!

Tomorrow will be 2 weeks, I can't even imagine how miserable I would be if I blew it.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by forabetterlife View Post
Tomorrow will be 2 weeks, I can't even imagine how miserable I would be if I blew it.
But you DIDN'T blow it. Aren't you proud of yourself??? Nice work!
Old 09-10-2012, 02:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Earth Child

Pour them down the sink ... you don't want this to happen again ...why keep them? just pour them away
Old 09-10-2012, 02:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree, pour them out!!!
Old 09-10-2012, 02:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree...Dump them....What is you plan for recovery?
Old 09-10-2012, 03:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Dear forabetter life.

Well done you, and I know what you mean about eating - makes you feel more relaxed, calm doesn't it (says she sitting up in bed with a mug of hot milk and chocolate biscuits :>)

Some people feel even stronger when they have drink in the house but can manage to leave it alone,

I am sure you know what you have to do if you feel tempted again.

Take care
Old 09-10-2012, 03:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well done for dodging that bullet forabetterlife...
now finish the job - dump those beers

D
Old 09-10-2012, 03:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
AA member

Have you a plan for your recovery.

Please tip the Alcohol out.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I read something really helpful here the other day about a list to run through when you have a craving (is it AA? not sure). Anyway, it's HALT - Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired? I usually find my craving falls under at least one of those headings, if not all!
Old 09-10-2012, 04:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats on resisting the urge, well done!!! The funny thing is I had 2 "emergency" beers for when I was going through the first few days of detox, One was in the car, the other on the kitchen counter. I kept both of them hot & told myself if I needed to drink them I sure would not enjoy it!!Today I NEEDED to dump them out & did so in the presence of my teen daughter. I was so scared that if I opened them when I was alone I would have dumped them down my throat instead of the sink. It is one week for me, I am praying to one day have the strength to talk myself down like you did today!!! Way to go I am so proud of you!
Old 09-10-2012, 04:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I know how you feel...I was thinking the same thing. I was mad at DH and thought that would make everything ok. I had lunch and a chocolate dessert and was alot better afterwards. I think that HALT thing works.
Hugs, Myjourney4me
Old 09-10-2012, 04:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Proud of you for dealing with those cravings! I had many close calls the first few months I was sober. Thankfully, that challenging time went away - and now I rarely have alcohol cross my mind. I finally get it that nothing will be made better if I pick up.

Good job
Old 09-10-2012, 06:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It's so awesome to know that I am not alone in this struggle! And yes, I am proud of myself..and the HALT thing is absolutely true. I will dump them, I will, I will..I'm not sure why I like having them here, they are like a security blanket. I know many of you dont agree, and I have to agree it makes no logical sense. I'll dump them eventually. For now, they are warm and yucky and I have no interest
Old 09-10-2012, 07:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Michelle76 View Post
It is one week for me, I am praying to one day have the strength to talk myself down like you did today!!! Way to go I am so proud of you!
You will, Michelle. Perhaps you already do. Congrats on a week--well done!
Old 09-10-2012, 07:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good for you! Please dump those beers.... please!
I know what you mean about eating. My psychiatrist specifically told me that a meal or snack high in protein especially helps with cravings and/or anxiety.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:04 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Oh don't ever go hungry, it is a death sentence with cravings. I also read not to go thirsty or the cravings will go berzerk. Keep the belly full and satiated and don't get dehydrated. When I tried moderating I intentionally would drink two giant waters before a drinking night because otherwise you tend to drink faster when you are thirsty. I still drank too much that way but at least out of the gate I never went all out. I made a mental note of it and figured out that I will always eat a big dinner at 5-6 or so and drink a huge water on the way home from the office. That is my plan along with a scoop of L-Glutamine to stop the cravings after dinner. In fact, it is time for one right now!
Old 09-10-2012, 08:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

The warmness would not be a barrier for me. I would just tell myself I was drinking "European style" and down the hatch. I would dump them.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:52 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

I think no good will come from keeping them around. Just my opinion. Pat yourself on the back for getting through another day.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:57 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm glad to read that you didn't drink those beers! If having them around is going to make it harder for you to resist, I hope you will dispose of them. Why make it tougher on yourself?

I have read that drinking on an empty stomach is a really bad idea, yet that's what I would normally do. I've also noticed that drinkers I know will pour drinks all night before eating a (very) late dinner. Only then will they not desire the alcohol and get to sleep. It's such a destructive cycle that I've thankfully said goodbye to!