Notices

New to recovery - I've failed already.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:27 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Welcome Mike,

You've taken some awesome steps so far!! Come join us in the September class thread. Amazing support there day and night and we'd be happy to have you! Day 2 for me so I'm very fresh to recovery like you. It's the hardest thing I've done but I know it's worth it.

You can do it!
Old 09-12-2012, 11:29 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

hey Mike. if your hands are shaking and your heart is racing you're experiencing the physical symptoms of withdrawal and should probably see a doctor if you can. as far as the cravings go, it's really roch the first week or two but it gets better quick. you seem like a determined guy. listening to how you made it through school so well and got a job shows that you can work hard. so ask yourself the Mike: can i work as hard at sobriety? i think you can. sobriety doesn't just happen. cravings don't just go away because you admit you're an alcoholic. admitting you're an alcoholic only has meaning if you start doing something about it and you have. treat this like a class at school. set goals. start coming up with tools to keep you sober. "when i start craving at night, i'll read a book until the craving passes." "if i crave in the afternoon, i'll drink a coke and eat a snack to help the craving pass." "when i have a craving, i'll pay attention to it and do something about it instead of ignoring it. i will acknowledge my cravings." tools are key. a plan is key. don't wander around blindly in sobriety 'cause you'll lose your way. set a path and walk it. we're here for advice and support. you can do this! believe in yourself as others believe in you. i believe if i can do it anyone can. you've got this.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:31 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. Glad you're here.