Notices

Kids And Pets

Old 09-12-2012, 09:28 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I love this thread! I'm snuggled in bed with my dogs, back from AA. SFMS-- I do know a cheap flea product but I'm not sure if it's in Canada only. For the life of me I cannot think of the name of it, and I swear I'm sober! Lol. I will get back to you tomorrow on that. I love greyhounds!
Old 09-12-2012, 09:36 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

This is a great thread. My animals are my kids since I don't have children, and at 42...i don't believe it's in the cards. So, for me I have a chocolate lab, a yellow lab, beagles (a daddy and his little girl), and our cat. Long story on the cat. When it's not so late and I have time to type, I'll tell you all. It's heartbreaking, and at the same time, made cat lovers out of us dog people. He is a new one. The first one we had, we had to put down. But, again long story.

And dogs are a riot. We let ours out, and they will do anything to avoid the wet grass after they do their business. They walk the dirt path along the flower bed to come up the back deck. Our Lucy beagle actually tries to lift at least one foot when she "trots" through the yard to keep at least one foot dry.

Every morning, L'il Lucy and our yellow lab get bedtime with me when my hubby gets out of bed. Oh, and Mr Cheerio, the cat, too. I love it.

True definition of unconditional love is a pet. I do enjoy them more when sober...that is for sure.

Just some dog quotes, but it can apply to any pet:

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
- St. Roch

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
-Roger Caras

If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers

Thanks for an enlightening thread.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:27 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Marjoram View Post
If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers

Thanks for an enlightening thread.

I couldn't agree more. I can't imagine life without my dogs. I've got two chocolate labs and I also foster rescue dogs too. Their lives are so much better since I got sober. I have the energy to walk them properly first thing in the morning as I'm not hitting the snooze button on the alarm 20 times.

My holidays no longer revolve round drinking so they come with me now, we're off walking for a week next week in Wales

Every day I am grateful that I got a second chance with my dogs

Thanks for the thread
Old 09-13-2012, 04:41 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I have two dogs and since my kids are grown and gone those dogs are my kids and my life. Since getting sober I take much better care of them and it shows in their healthy happy dispositions.

I also feed and shelter the stray kitties at my house and have one stray who is very friendly to me, unlike the others. If I had the money I'd get him vetted and adopt him as a house cat...
Old 09-13-2012, 07:37 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Great. Stories!!! Our kids and pets make life worth living! So glad I will be all there to share their time now.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:36 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Let go and Let God!

I have four kids and two kittens. All 6 of them are blast to be around and to watch. I couldn't imagine not being there for them and that is what would happen if I pick up again.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:38 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

So true!!!!how old are your kids? Lots of fun.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:41 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Let go and Let God!

My kids are 14, 9, 5, and 3. My kittens are 12 weeks old.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:46 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Aww, super cute
Old 09-13-2012, 08:52 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

SFMS, the product I was trying to think of last night is called Defend. It's a permethrin. (not for kitties! Just dogs.) I don't know if it's available in the US. I'm sure there are similar products. I don't think they work as well as the more $ stuff but it may help. We are lucky up here in Western canada to not have a huge flea problem. I used to live on the east coast -- ticks, fleas, etc. ugh.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:31 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Here in the South, fleas are bad!! It sucks. My home pets are on Comfortis which is the best product I have ever seen. One dose works for four months in the worst conditions. Amazing drug, seriously amazing!! I have never seen a flea in my home since I bought it two years ago, even around infested pets at the park and next door. Incredible. I do my own ivermectin for HW and such, have always had many dogs and done stuff without a vet, but Comfortis is a true gift.

Today my dogs loved me sober... We did tricks!
Old 09-14-2012, 03:53 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Zee

Weeeelllllll, My little Cookie is pregnant. We went for an ultrasound today, cost me a small fortune! The vet said she is over 45 days gone and she has one or more puppies (how helpful!) I saw a tiny heartbeat and shed a tear. Her "husband" isn't pure bred Chihuahua, he is half Jack Russell and smaller than her. It doesn't matter though because I'M GOING TO KEEP THEM ALLLLLLL!!!!!! Mwah ha ha ha!!!
Old 09-14-2012, 04:00 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Getting Healthy

I too was lazy! Uninterested in playing at times. Other times too hungover to play.My toddler helped me decide sobriety over 1.5 liters of wine a day. Boy preferred daddy over mommy. It hurt. I quit. He totally rocks my world and is so much fun. He'll be 3 next month.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:02 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Orbea that's great!!! Zee how cute! One big pup might mean a section for her, good luck!!!
Old 09-14-2012, 04:11 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Zee

Originally Posted by SoberForMySon View Post
Orbea that's great!!! Zee how cute! One big pup might mean a section for her, good luck!!!
Oh gawd $$ ££ $$
Old 09-14-2012, 04:50 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

My present cats are living amends to the cats I ignored when I was active in addiction. I live with my dad and stepmom and we also have a chee-wah-wah, named Tinker. When stepmom is messed up on her pills, Tinker comes and stays with me. I'm grateful to give her a "safe" haven. She and the cats are totally spoiled rotten, and I wouldn't have it any other way!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 09-14-2012, 09:30 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

i have both animals and children. two dogs (one a rescued puppy) and two children, one a toddler boy (as you have! sooo much energy they have hahaha), and a 17 year old daughter. i definitely LOVE being sober now, to have the energy to take my son to the park, play games, throw the ball, to drive my daughter to her friends house and other places...i feel like i'm more present now, i wasn't an angry or mean drunk either like you said, but i too didn't want my kids to only know me with a drink in my hand halfway through the day, and being lazy and tired all the time. not fair to them, or me for that matter.

and the puppy!! i rescued him and he was literally almost dead. he had parvo and with medication and donated hospital time, he survived! now he's a healthy, rambunctious puppy, and i knew if i didn't do something about my drinking finally, that my puppy and son (having them is like having twin boys) they both would not get the best they deserve. why did i rescue him if i couldn't give him a good life? why did i have a baby if i didn't want to give him my all? there are people trying desperately to conceive and i have this gift, i had to get out there and start living and enjoying every second!

kudos to you for wanting to be more for your son, your pets and yourself! isn't it an awesome feeling being PRESENT for all the amazing things they offer??? i couldn't be happier myself big hugs!
Old 09-15-2012, 10:07 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I have a cat called maddy and a dog called maisie... they've helped me through so much and always want more cuddles/love ... i love going for long walks with maisie when i have a clear head and actually really enjoy our daily walks now (i'm 51days sober) ...

it's also nice to spend lots of money on them that i wouldn't have had before! ..