Notices

Here we go again

Old 09-10-2012, 09:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Here we go again

I am a social binge drinker and have been for twenty years. I almost never can have a "moderate" drinking experience. So last night I remotely tailgated the Steeler game with some friends. I found myself pre-drinking some gin at home before we went to the party just to get started (that's new). I followed that up with 8 or 9 craft beers. End result...argument with spouse, hungover, ashamed, miserable. But by Wednesdsay I will really begin believe that I can drink in moderation, just a few beers...tired of the dance! And advice would be appreciated.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Go to AA
Old 09-10-2012, 09:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR..

Been there many times. Advice...Ask yourself are you ready to stop? Have you/ can you go 30 days with drinking?

Read posts here on SR. You will find a great deal of people who did the same dance as you. Some for many years before they got tired enough or lost enough to finally quit. I am just about there. I'm very tired.

How about you?

Jim
Old 09-10-2012, 09:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am tired Jim. But i will convince myself believe it or not in a few days when the haze fades that I can drink moderately knowing that I always say that and can never do it. So illogical...I love craft beer and in two days I will be thinking that I can have two craft beers per social setting...sick stuff!
Old 09-10-2012, 09:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That is the disease talking. Convincing you it is ok to continue. How many times is that working out for you.

Have you tried 30 days. Just to see how you will feel? Join the September group. You have nothing to lose by giving it up for 30 days. (Plus you will save money).

Not saying you have a problem. That is however how I new. I tried 30 days, could not make it 4 days. I'm now on day 6.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Welcome PK! You'll find lots of company and support here at SR!

I found I just couldn't limit myself, no matter how many times I tried. It's been easier to just stop, which may sound strange but once I have a couple I'm off and running which leads straight to miserable the following morning.

I'm at just about 2 months now and found "urge surfing" very helpful. You can read about it here on SR. A lot of drinking is habit, and you can find ways here to help you change your habits. I'm finding I'm really liking waking up clear headed and having more hours to each day. Still miss the rowdy drinking times, but not enough to trade them for feeling and looking better.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am tired Jim. But i will convince myself believe it or not in a few days when the haze fades that I can drink moderately knowing that I always say that and can never do it. So illogical...I love craft beer and in two days I will be thinking that I can have two craft beers per social setting...sick stuff!
Convince yourself NOW that you cannot convince yourself in a few days that you can drink moderately.

Getting sober involves changing the way you think. We have to accept that we cannot drink in moderation, now or ever, and believe in ourselves that we can stop drinking. You can do both of those things. You don't have to drink in the next few days. You can be sober, if you really want to.

Welcome to SR. I hope you find all that I have here - it's a marvellous place for encouragement and support. All the best to you.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

I was the same. Drink too much on the weekend, hate yourself and feel ashamed until wednesday, feel better thursday, and party-time friday....
Old 09-10-2012, 10:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Trust me it gets worse when you do that on the week end. Then your mind begins to convince you, 'its fine to have 1-2 drinks on Wednesday' . For me after about 2 years, I was drinking Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday nights.

It has a way of sneeking up. Until you look at yourself and think 'how did this happen'?
Old 09-10-2012, 03:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Pittzburghkid

But i will convince myself believe it or not in a few days when the haze fades that I can drink moderately knowing that I always say that and can never do it.
I was that way for 20 years - things got worse and worse.
Eventually I got it...I might think it? but it's just not true - I know it...and I don't need to act on those 'I don't have a problem' thoughts.

What I did need to work on was staying sober...you'll find a lot of support and ideas here to do that too PK

D
Old 09-10-2012, 04:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Pittzburghkid!

I know everyone here can relate..... I was always so sure that if I tried just a little harder I could control it - next time would be different. I worked at it a long time and the only thing that happened was that my drinking got worse, not better.

Giving up and getting sober was the best thing I ever did. Glad you've joined us!
Old 09-10-2012, 04:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

What is the September group Jim? Where can I find it?
Old 09-10-2012, 04:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-2-a-5.html

D