Notices

What do you do during football season?

Old 09-10-2012, 04:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What do you do during football season?

I love the football (NFL), and play in 3 fantasy leagues. But, I am used to drinking beer all Sunday, usually alone. What do you replace the beer with or how do you deal with it? Thanks friends.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This was one of the biggest fears I had when I quit drinking.....Kind of crazy...This stuff is ruining my life and killing me and I'm worried about that....But I did. I got sober July 1st of 2011...Right before pre season started....I use AA and I met a lot of recovered alcoholics that liked football...Last year we had BBQ's and went to Pizza parlors to watch games and I came to find out....Beer wasn't the reason I liked football...I actually liked it better without it. Wednesday night I went to an AA friends house who is a Giants fan...He made a nice dinner...And his team didn't do to good...But we had fun...Sober. Yesterday was raining so I stayed home and watched my Redskins kick ass...Next week...Doubleheader BBQ with a group of people....I guess what I'm saying is...There is a nice life out there without alcohol.....Take an honest look at what it's doing for you right now.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Baseball posed a similar dilemma for me. I used to drink a lot at baseball games, and I wondered if I'd enjoy the game as much without beer. Didn't help when one of my favorite teams built a new stadium that's a giant shrine to alcohol. Sober, I'm probably less tolerant of bad baseball than I would be if not in recovery. In a blowout of a game, I'm probably more likely to leave early these days and get on with other facets of my life. There are beer sales all around me at games, and it really doesn't bother me. Most of my friends don't drink much anymore, so that helps, too. Flabbergasts me now to see people paying $7.50 to $9.50 for a beer at a game. For what I used to spend on a few games per year, plus all the booze and other accoutrements, I've bought into season tix with some buddies, ride my bike to games (no parking fees), and smuggle in a few water bottles. Healthier, cheaper, and I have great seats.