Notices

So how do you guys deal with cravings?

Old 09-09-2012, 01:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So how do you guys deal with cravings?

I'm back on Day 1 (again!). I asked to leave work early, as I do most Sunday nights. After I left, I realised I only want to leave early so I can start drinking.

Anyway, am at home, having the usual argument about whether I can start again tomorrow when I decided to do something different. I went for a drive and then got some Chinese food which I normally think I can't afford. (funny how I can ALWAYS afford the alcohol!)

So what do you guys do when you're home alone and want to deal with your cravings?
Old 09-09-2012, 01:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
DAB

Donuts
Chocolate
Ice cream
Running
Weight lifting
Yoga
Meditation
Old 09-09-2012, 01:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I have a shower, get in bed and have a bottle of fizzey water, pull the covers over my head and listen to talk radio .

The thoughts usually go after a nights sleep .

I don't realy get alcohol cravings anymore, just boringly repetative flights of fancy by my old alkie brain, a dull performance i have to unfortunately sit through occasionaly .

Bestwishes, M
Old 09-09-2012, 01:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Eli, look into doing something that they call Urge Surfing. The idea is that you can pay attention to the urge as it comes, rather than trying to fight it, and let it sweep by you like a wave as it passes. There are other ideas about urges, and a very powerful one is about learning how to recognize the source of the urges and how to separate yourself from them. This is what I and a bunch of others here use too, and it's called Addictive Voice Recognition Technique (AVRT). For me it has been rock solid, and for over a year. More info in SR's Secular Connections forum and at the AVRT website for Rational Recovery.

Until you get around to looking at these references, just remember that urges are nothing more than thoughts, and we get to choose how we react to thoughts. They do not control our actions, because we aren't powerless. The choice is ours.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think supports important. What kind of support do you have Eli?

Apart from that I used urge surfing too

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

D
Old 09-09-2012, 02:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I would call/reach out for support, read the BigBook, go to a meeting, think about how awful I felt the last time I drank, pray for help.

I remember starting every day on my knees asking God "please don't let me drink today".

All of the above really helped me.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

After spending years debating whether to drink or not on the way home from work (and always coming out on the drinking side) I finally stopped engaging with my AV and accepted that I would never drink again. It seems so logical but I'm not sure I could have figured that one out without AVRT.

Thinking the drink through is a good one too. Stops those last minute decisions and usually by the time you've thought that one drink through to it's logical conclusion the craving has passed
Old 09-09-2012, 03:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

First few days used urge surfing, also when I first got in from work, which is my danger zone, a cup of tea with a small piece of very dark chocolate. Don't know why because I'm not a chocolate person but that bitter very dark chocolate really hit a spot and took the edge of my cravings.

Now using AVRT but not made a big plan yet,

x
Old 09-09-2012, 03:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Just don't drink!

Old 09-09-2012, 03:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Zee

Originally Posted by ACT10Npack View Post
Just don't drink!

Well, you can drink, just not anything alcoholic!
When I was a little kid, I remember someone saying...'I don't drink' I thought...'what, not even orange squash... you must be thirsty!'

Maybe just try to change your routine a bit. Baby steps. x
Old 09-09-2012, 03:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I turn on the old TV/click on Netflix, Amazon and look for some sort of movie/ documentary etc. just to get my mind away from the thought or read/take a walk, eat something yummy, I wrote down a big list to look at when a powerful urge happens. Take care

Old 09-09-2012, 03:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
mother to be

meditation & yoga really helps me. Give it a shot. YouTube some beginner videos. I never believed it could calm your mind, but it does. good luck.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I interact with my dogs and that reminds me how much better I take care of them now that I'm sober. I want to care for them more than anything so drinking is off the menu.

After over two years I rarely get cravings anymore.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zee View Post
When I was a little kid, I remember someone saying...'I don't drink' I thought...'what, not even orange squash... you must be thirsty!'

Maybe just try to change your routine a bit. Baby steps. x

When I was a little, little kid, I always wondered how my Dad managed to keep money in his pocket and not spend it all on sweets and penny chews!!!

I thought he must have had super strong will power!

I still love penny chews too..anglo bubbly, white mice, pink shrimps, aniseed balls

xx
Old 09-09-2012, 05:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zee
Actually, finding something non-alcoholic that I really enjoy drinking was very important for me. Water just doesn't cut it. I very much look forward to my nightly tea now, and it helps a lot just to keep in mind that I will drink something tasty and relaxing tonight... it just won't be beer.

When I get a craving that's more insistant, I need to look for something engaging to do. TV, computer games and such don't work for me. A really good book can work, and working out is stellar. Very hard to think about drinking while doing pushups.

Everyone's different, you'll find something that works for you.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:04 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
~sb

I call someone and ask how they are, then chat and if the craving still existed, I talked to the person about it and it would leave....
Old 09-09-2012, 08:17 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I disassociate from the craving. I observe the craving without judgement and with curiosity. I don't drink alcohol.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:27 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

For the time being I am keeping myself extra busy. I work 5 days a week full time, going to rehab 3 nights a week, reading AA books, go to AA meetings, take care of my parents a couple times a week (whenever I can), come to SR. I guess you could say I'm obsessed with my treatment plan. For now the only thing I concentrate on is doing what I need to do to keep me from taking that first drink. So far it's working.

Good luck, you can do it!
Old 09-09-2012, 08:47 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tippingpoint
I disassociate from the craving. I observe the craving without judgement and with curiosity. I don't drink alcohol.
That's a thought with which I happily associate.

Nice job getting back on your feet, elihoping. When you're using all these good tips, remember that it will get easier. It can seem really daunting at first, but you will get there, and you'll be really glad you stayed the course.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:44 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
I call someone and ask how they are, then chat and if the craving still existed, I talked to the person about it and it would leave....
Actually, this is probably the most important one... I think harbouring secret thoughts about drinking is the most dangerous thing we can do.