Notices

So how do you guys deal with cravings?

Old 09-10-2012, 05:09 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi there,

I am on day 11 and by no means an expert on the long term stuff - I am expert at day one and beginnings as I done that one tens of thousands of times only to fail by the end of the day -- so, I could probably tell you what NOT to do

The first few days this time were super tough for me as I felt so rotten and the voice in my head was really loud. I had a blackout the night before which really scared me (again) - the sadness and shame were pretty overwhelming and drove me here. I found that posting, reading frequently really helped. I read up on AVRT and urge surfing - used that too (especially at 4:30 PM). I also began to drink - this time it was water -- ALOT of it. I had been such a high volume drinker - I needed to continue drinking something, anything. So, water is my choice. It has had the added unintentional benefit of promoting weight loss as well. I sometimes feel like a walking water cooler, however.

Good luck to all - reading the collective wisdom of the SR community is amazing.

Panacea
Old 09-10-2012, 05:58 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

1. I had a snack (lots of times, a craving for me was really hunger)
2. I went to the gym or out for a walk if that wasn't possible
3. I called a friend
4. I grabbed a good book
5. I reminded myself that cravings always pass

Remember: cravings do not last forever and eventually you will stop having them. Seriously: they go away completely after a while. Hang in there!!!!
Old 09-10-2012, 06:45 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Ba**ysMama

I relate to the Great Debate..as I like to call it, all too well.. Those racing thoughts on the way home from somewhere.. do I stop off and get some, do I drive past it and go home.. all that stuff!! I used to give in EVERYTIME..& stop off & buy a bottle of vodka and have it downed by the end of the night.. nowadays, I think about how absolutely deathly ill I felt the next day, (HUGE help when you get a bad craving, & i you're on here, then I know you have some hangover memories to fall back on..) and it truly does get EASIER the longer you go:-) Also, I hit my bottom when I was not working, and now I try to work as much as I can.. (everyone has something like this that re-averts their energies..) and you're more motivated not to slip when you feel productive and like you are working towards a goal..I truly believe that.. try to think of an important goal, or set one, something you really really want/need, & remind yourself each time you crave that every time you don't give in, you are one step closer to reaching that:-) For instance, my fiancee & I need a 2nd vehicle, so everytime I get that urge, I remind myself that I won't get that cute lil sports car I always wanted if I skip out on work to stay home drunk(which I used to do) or if I waste $$ on booze..(an added benefit of stopping is u WILL notice u have more $$..)
Your days off become more valuable as well:-) & this may sound odd, but if these ideas don't really jive w/u..u can always look up pictures/articles on unhealthy livers.. sorry if that is iccky.. ;-) but hey, if that doesn't get ya I don't know what would!! Good luck to u dear:-) I know u will get past them:-)
Old 09-10-2012, 07:59 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

AVRT helps me deal, and slowly suffocate the beast that resides in my head.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:03 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tippingpoint View Post
I disassociate from the craving. I observe the craving without judgement and with curiosity. I don't drink alcohol.
I do this too. I think about scientifically WHY the craving is happening... I get online and read about it. Not only do I find it interesting, but it's a distraction and explanation for what my body is doing.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:08 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BarrysMama View Post
I relate to the Great Debate..as I like to call it, all too well.. Those racing thoughts on the way home from somewhere.. do I stop off and get some, do I drive past it and go home.. all that stuff!! I used to give in EVERYTIME..& stop off & buy a bottle of vodka and have it downed by the end of the night.. nowadays, I think about how absolutely deathly ill I felt the next day, (HUGE help when you get a bad craving, & i you're on here, then I know you have some hangover memories to fall back on..) and it truly does get EASIER the longer you go:-) Also, I hit my bottom when I was not working, and now I try to work as much as I can.. (everyone has something like this that re-averts their energies..) and you're more motivated not to slip when you feel productive and like you are working towards a goal..I truly believe that.. try to think of an important goal, or set one, something you really really want/need, & remind yourself each time you crave that every time you don't give in, you are one step closer to reaching that:-) For instance, my fiancee & I need a 2nd vehicle, so everytime I get that urge, I remind myself that I won't get that cute lil sports car I always wanted if I skip out on work to stay home drunk(which I used to do) or if I waste $$ on booze..(an added benefit of stopping is u WILL notice u have more $$..)
Your days off become more valuable as well:-) & this may sound odd, but if these ideas don't really jive w/u..u can always look up pictures/articles on unhealthy livers.. sorry if that is iccky.. ;-) but hey, if that doesn't get ya I don't know what would!! Good luck to u dear:-) I know u will get past them:-)
I agree, for me thinking about tomorrow is a huge thing. I don't think there is anyone on here that would argue that they feel good the next day after drinking an entire bottle of vodka, a case of beer, or two bottles of wine(my choice.) Truly envision the bad taste in your mouth, the headache, envision your red bloodshot eyes, picture in your mind how you'll be lazy and unproductive, remember how tired you'll be, and anything else that you associate with being hungover.

Now switch gears and envision how you feel when you are not hungover. You'll have a clear head, fresher breath, you'll have more energy, you'll accomplish a lot, have a longer attention span, and not snap at people. You'll be able to love those in your life more, you'll be able to reflect.

Not sure about you, but I'll take the latter every time.