Notices

New and could use some help and support

Old 09-09-2012, 07:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New and could use some help and support

Hi, I'm brand new here. I have been dealing with a lot of very stressful things lately and have been drinking everyday for about a year now. When I drink I make bad choices and then wake up feeling worse and drink more and the spiral has gotten out of hand. I have always been a drinking but never for a solid year before. I think I need to find a supportive group of understanding people to help with the feelings of embarrassment and self blame that make me want to drink even more. I am pretty hard on myself and I ruminate over all the mistakes I've made causing some pretty intense anxiety. Right now when I think about facing the world and my life sober I get a sick feeling in my stomach and want to run away and disappear. Maybe having an anonymous place to talk to other people will help me. I don't know. I hope so.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
One Foot in Front of the Other

Welcome, garden! I think this may be just the place you're looking for. Lots of people, including myself, with similar stories, and you will find lots of help, hope, and support here! You might want to check out the Class of September 2012 thread, there are many great folks there who are newly committed to a sober life. Keep reading and posting, it helps!
Old 09-09-2012, 07:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Dear Garden,

talking openly about things is a great start. It is very hard to do though isn't it (talking to myself too :>) as it makes things "more real" somehow...and it takes a lot of courage to do so, which you obviously have.

I am sure you will like it here and that it will help you find your way.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR garden. This place is amazing. There are no judgements just help and understanding. I would take time to read other peoples experiences, I find it very helpful.
Good luck and keep posting and let us know how you're getting on x
Old 09-09-2012, 07:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Garden!! I ma kinda new here too, It is an amazing place to be. You will find so much support & encouragement! I read post daily from other people that I could have written myself. It is so nice to know that we are not alone. I am so glad you us!!!
Old 09-09-2012, 07:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!
Old 09-09-2012, 07:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

**Edit** I am so glad you FOUND us!! hehehe
Old 09-09-2012, 07:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR garden you'll find lots of people here who have been where you are and are now sober. You can be sober, too. All those negative feelings you are talking about - I used to feel exactly that way also. I felt so much guilt, shame, embarrassment and hatred towards myself. I got sober five months ago and I haven't been this happy since... well, I can't remember. It seems like a very daunting prospect to you right now I'm sure, but you CAN be sober and I promise you that being sober will make those negative feelings you have towards yourself lessen so much, if not disappear completely. I got that sick sensation when I thought about facing the world sober, too, and I'm sure lots of other people here felt that also. All I can say is that it's really unfounded (I'm not saying it's not a real and intense feeling at the time) because the anxiety that causes this usually fades pretty quickly when we sober up, anyway.

SR is a fantastic place for support and I hope you post here as much as you want - it really does help.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Jules

Originally Posted by MrsKing View Post
Welcome to SR garden you'll find lots of people here who have been where you are and are now sober. You can be sober, too. All those negative feelings you are talking about - I used to feel exactly that way also. I felt so much guilt, shame, embarrassment and hatred towards myself. I got sober five months ago and I haven't been this happy since... well, I can't remember. It seems like a very daunting prospect to you right now I'm sure, but you CAN be sober and I promise you that being sober will make those negative feelings you have towards yourself lessen so much, if not disappear completely. I got that sick sensation when I thought about facing the world sober, too, and I'm sure lots of other people here felt that also. All I can say is that it's really unfounded (I'm not saying it's not a real and intense feeling at the time) because the anxiety that causes this usually fades pretty quickly when we sober up, anyway.

SR is a fantastic place for support and I hope you post here as much as you want - it really does help.
Ditto to your post Mrs King. This disease can make a person feel hopeless and worthless. I think I finally get it and have two weeks sober. I am posting here and attending AA meetings. I feel so good taking these positive steps, I could almost cry tears of joy at the moment. The worst part is to feel like you are the only one with this problem but in reality there are millions of people with the same problem.

Welcome to SR Garden.....you will find a lot of support and understanding here. Keep posting!
Old 09-09-2012, 07:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Garden,

With the guilt and heavy burden you are carrying around...Im asking you to allow yourself to feel something positive...that being, that you have reached out today to SR, to make a change in your life...can you try and do that?

We all need hope...keep reading. We're all here to support you.

You don't have to do this alone.

Big hugs
Old 09-09-2012, 07:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Garden

This place helps keep me grounded and I really believe I couldn't have got sober without it. Having support from other people going through the same thing really does help. Have you made any inroads to quitting before? x
Old 09-09-2012, 07:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR garden
Old 09-09-2012, 01:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Garden,

(love that name) Welcome to SR! SR has been a god-send to me! Keep reading and posting. There is a lot of love, wisdom and understanding from people that understand. Best wishes.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Hey, Garden, you've already received such great advice and support from Mrs.King, drunkyjules, debsam and others, that I can't offer much aside from my support for you and my best wishes for your success. I used to be where you are now, and I really do have a new life, a freshstart if you will. Keep posting, OK?
Old 09-09-2012, 01:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome Garden! I am new here too, and I love it. This is a wonderful place filled with inspiring people in all stages of recovery. You will get no judgement here, only love and support. And yes, check out the class of sept 12. It's for newcomers like us. I am too new to give any real advice on quitting, but I can give encouragement. You can do it! If I did it, you can too. I truly believe it. Keep posting!
Old 09-09-2012, 02:26 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR Garden

D
Old 09-09-2012, 02:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! You'll find a lot of support here.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR garden. This place is very nice
Old 09-10-2012, 09:13 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Wow! Thanks so much for the amazing responses!! :-D Yesterday morning was pretty rough but just chatting here for a little bit somehow did help a lot. I was able to have a good day after all. Although I am not happy to see so many people who struggle with this, it does make me feel a little less bad about myself knowing that I am not a complete freak. Sometimes it feels that way, especially when you find that you've isolated yourself for fear of judgement. But I appreciate the words of support and positive stories! Thanks MrsKing and Sissy007 and everyone else for the replies! :-D