Notices

Resentments

Old 09-08-2012, 07:41 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Michelle76 View Post
Being early in this process, I dont know how to deal with resentment... But I do know I am very resentful towards lots of people & circumstances. I am ready to learn a different skill other than being a pack mule, hauling all this resentment around with me, it is so heavy!!
oh, man, do i remember that feeling! when i was drinking and them resentments popped up, i would drink. then whne i got into AA, the steps showed the the cause and effect of em. man, did i have a lot of resentments. i had prolly 6 full pages, with me being on there and a crapload of resentments towards myself. one of my resentments was a city i used to live in. one day i came home from work, fixed a bite to eat and sat down and watched the news. after about 5-10 minutes of news, i went to my list, crossed out the city i lived in and put down " the whole friggin world!"

i learned a lot about what made me tick and how do handle resentments.
i am not a saint. i still get em. it hapens. but today i have a great solution for them.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:42 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I can't change anyone else, but I can change the way I react to things.
I learned to fix the things I can...the rest I had to learn to let go.

Lifes too short - and there's a lot of wonderful things and people who are far worthy worthy of my time and attention

Everyones a work in progress with this stuff JHE...I'm still working on it

I think you're doing great

D
Thanks Dee.It really is true isn't it that stopping drinking is only the start.I will let go today and concentrate on today
Old 09-08-2012, 11:47 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
Resentment is the "number one" offender. It destroys more alcoholics than anything else. From it stem all forms of spiritual disease, for we have been not only mentally and physically ill, we have been spiritually sick. When the spiritual malady is overcome, we straighten out mentally and physically. In dealing with resentments, we set them on paper. We listed people, institutions or principles with whom we were angry. We asked ourselves why we were angry. In most cases it was found that our self-esteem, our pocketbooks, our ambitions, our personal relationships(including sex) were hurt or threatened. So we were sore. We were "burned up."

We went back through our lives. Nothing counted but thoroughness and honesty. When we were finished we considered it carefully. The first thing apparentwas that this world and its people were often quite wrong. To conclude that others were wrong was as far as most of us ever got. The usual outcome was that people continued to wrong us and we stayed sore. Sometimes it was remorse and then we were sore at ourselves. But the more we fought and tried to have our own way, the worse matters got. As in war, the victor only seemed to win. Our moments of triumph were short-lived
It is plain that a life which includes deep resentment leads only to futility and unhappiness. To the precise extent that we permit these, do we squander the hours that might have been worth while. But with the alcoholic, whose hope is the maintenance and growth of a spiritual experience, this business of resentment is infinitely grave. We found that it is fatal. For when harboring such feelings we shut ourselves off from the sunlight of the Spirit. The insanity of alcohol returns and we drink again. And with us, to drink is to die.

read more in the big book of AA. it has worked great for me to see what made me tick.
Thanks Tomsteve. When you write down all your resentments do you find this healing process? By acknowledgment and awareness,does this lead to acceptance and peace. I've read p.552,as recommended above. By forgiving and wishing peace and happiness on people maybe it will lead to inner peace and no more resentments.

Sorry if I'm getting mixed up with it all.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:59 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hey justhadenough....If you are interested...Listen to these two guys (Joe and Charlie) go through step 4 on this site.....They explain it pretty well. That's the inventory step where we deal with resentments...Fear...Sex/Harm done to others....House cleaning....As Tomsteve says....What makes us tick.

Downloads & mp3's from silkworth.net
Old 09-09-2012, 02:48 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MrsKing View Post
I had MANY resentments a few months back. Lots of really bad stuff happened on my wedding day and for a long time I could not forgive the people that caused it and felt as though they had 'destroyed my day'... blah, blah, blah.

It took me a while, but I've finally learned that nothing I can do will change what has happened. Nothing I can do will take back the things that were said and done. I have realised that I can choose to remember the best of certain times or the worst of certain times, and I know that choosing the worst results in anger and resentments, so why bother? It's hard to forgive and forget, but ultimately, that's the only way forward. We can't change the past but we can choose what we hold important in our past.

I hold pretty much no resentment right now towards anyone, and it's probably because I'm at peace with myself for the most part. And I've got to that point by acceptance... so in effect, acceptance of those I resented really came from acceptance of myself. Weird.
Thank you Mrsking.You are right-the only way forward is to actually go forward,not live in the past.sorry to hear about your wedding day problems
Old 09-09-2012, 02:52 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thanks to you all. I started another thread this week about constant thoughts in my head. From reading all your posts it's become clear that the noise/thoughts are resentments/because of resentments-one leads to the other.When I learn to forgive and let go of the past,the thoughts reduce.Being sober lessens them too of course,but re-living/thinking about the past isn't just pointless-it can be pretty destructive too.

Just writing it on here and reading your responses helps immensely-
Old 09-09-2012, 03:54 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by justhadenough View Post
Thanks Tomsteve. When you write down all your resentments do you find this healing process? By acknowledgment and awareness,does this lead to acceptance and peace. I've read p.552,as recommended above. By forgiving and wishing peace and happiness on people maybe it will lead to inner peace and no more resentments.

Sorry if I'm getting mixed up with it all.
dont be sorry. it is great that you want to learn about them and how to handle them. the action i took is layed out in the BB and starts on pg 63, but it worked best for me to start at the beginning, which is step one.
Old 09-09-2012, 03:57 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by justhadenough View Post
Thanks to you all. I started another thread this week about constant thoughts in my head. From reading all your posts it's become clear that the noise/thoughts are resentments/because of resentments-one leads to the other.When I learn to forgive and let go of the past,the thoughts reduce.Being sober lessens them too of course,but re-living/thinking about the past isn't just pointless-it can be pretty destructive too.

Just writing it on here and reading your responses helps immensely-
You're right - it is very destructive. And the only person it is really destructive to is ourselves. The people who caused those resentments (for good reason or not) feel nothing from our anger. I like this Buddha quote - “Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else—you are the one who gets burned.”
Old 09-09-2012, 04:36 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MrsKing View Post
You're right - it is very destructive. And the only person it is really destructive to is ourselves. The people who caused those resentments (for good reason or not) feel nothing from our anger. I like this Buddha quote - “Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else—you are the one who gets burned.”
I like that. I'll remember that when I feel thoughts getting out of control and I need perspective
Old 09-09-2012, 04:53 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I've heard a lot of different ways that a resentment has been described....I always liked this one.

Having a resentment is like burning down your house to kill a mouse.

Have a great day justhadenough!
Old 09-09-2012, 05:23 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
I've heard a lot of different ways that a resentment has been described....I always liked this one.

Having a resentment is like burning down your house to kill a mouse.

Have a great day justhadenough!
Thanks Sapling,you too
Old 09-09-2012, 08:30 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Great thread JHE

Someone said on here once that 'all expectations are seeds for resentment'. That really stuck with me because I think that I kind of expect certain people in my life to behave a certain way. All part of that control freak thing I have going on. Part of not feeling resentful for me is to not expect things in the first place. Not in a bitter way, just to be more self reliant and be more grateful for the things I do have rather than concentrating on the things I don't x