Notices

So hard

Old 09-06-2012, 11:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So hard

Hi all, I have been a heavy drinker for the past 16 years, started with beers every night, then after a year a beer turned into a bottle of scotch every night for 11 years then after so many nights of no memory i turned to wine then noticed one bottle wasnt enough so that became two bottles a night.

I had never drank at home before I met my ex I was a single parent and could never get a babysitter so alcohol was brought into the home by him (I had no idea he had a problem with alcohol) and I guess I liked not having to think and it felt great to have someone i (thought) spoil me I got rid of him too late and I never realised how much time I had lost but when I eventually tried to stop three years ago I was so ill and in so much pain, so I gave in and carried on regardless, I have always worked and held down very good jobs no one ever knew about my drinking or so i thought but I really must've smelt bad maybe people were just being polite who knows! There is a long family history of alcoholism i've lost an aunt and an uncle to it (both late forties, early fifties). I have however just completed 12 days sober but tonight my stress levels are bad after work and I caved and spoilt it all I am feeling so let down and guilty (worse than the guilt trips you have the morning after).

I really thought i could do it this time my drinking behaviour has turned awful I dont care what I say to anyone or how I behave (till the next morning) but I know deep down I need to quit for good suggestions on a beer mat please
Old 09-06-2012, 11:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm sorry you're struggling. Use this as a chance to start fresh. I don't have any great words of wisdom, but know that you're not alone
Old 09-06-2012, 11:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know how you feel. I hope you stop again today. It will just keep getting worse if you keep drinking.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Clearhead x

Please don't try to do this on your own. There is lots of help available out there which should make things easier for you. Have you spoken to your doctor about quitting? It might help you to phone drinkline (0800 917 8282) or AA (0845 769 7555), or y'know... both of them. Glad you're here
Old 09-06-2012, 11:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

Good for you for deciding to live a sober life.

I wonder what changes you made in your life besides stopping drinking? It takes a lot of change in order to recover and learning how to live your life without the numbing of alcohol is not easy. But, we are here to offer support.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR clearhead. You'll find many people here willing to share and advise - it's been an invaluable source of support for me.

Tomorrow is a new day. Don't beat yourself up for this or make yourself feel guilty - those feelings are not productive and make it that much harder for us to stay sober. You CAN be sober. Believe in yourself - that's the most important part. Never let yourself think that you are not in control. Cravings are not commands and you don't have to act upon them.

Wishing you all the best x
Old 09-06-2012, 12:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You have a choice, and by making the right choice and the changes that go with that choice, you can feel better all the way around. You want to do it, you can tell. Just get through 24 hours or an hour at a time...This site offers great support and ideas of those who are in the same boat as you are...row forward!
Old 09-06-2012, 12:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

I can relate clearhead ...

I was a daily drinker for over 20 years.. Its not easy but congrats on 12 days that is awesome...

I am a proud member of AA and those people and the program have helped me really learn how to deal with and live in sobriety. Please take hypochondriacs advice and give a call. You have nothing to lose other than a hangover and everything to gain..

Glad your with us, keep posting
Old 09-07-2012, 10:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thankyou all for your responses each one has been appreciated, I will try to take things one day at a time from now on, I know i've let myself down again by reaching for the bottle because I had a *stressful* day but to be honest I have noticed that just thinking about alcohol causes stress! I'm glad im not alone in this and that many of you have succeeded in giving up this poison and all your words are valuable to me, even not drinking for 12 days I saved alot of money and felt better too (apart from the no sleeping thing and horrible nightmares) guess I need to find a shop that sells willpower and carry on from day one again thanks x with regards to changes I started eating healthier because I no longer had junk food cravings after soaking up the alcohol, I also changed my route home from work (extra 10 mins walk) but this way I didn't bypass a shop so didn't feel the urge to run in and buy a bottle and I felt good about losing 3lbs so that helped x