Notices

Stopping constant thoughts

Old 09-11-2012, 09:15 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I can totally relate, justhadenough.....

Mindfulness has helped me a lot. Tolle's books are great (there's also a lot of resources, articles, etc., on the internet). Tolle can be a little intense, so you might want to keep things simple at first. One of my favorite approaches is thinking of my thoughts like clouds passing through the sky. (I like that model because my thoughts always felt so ominous and heavy, and clouds are just the opposite).

Here's a little blurb:
Simply notice any activity arising in your mind - it could be thoughts or memories, distractions or daydreams. Observe without judging this procession of thoughts, images, or memories going through your mind. There is nothing you need to do with these thoughts except bring your attention to them; except watch them. If emotions or physical sensations arise, acknowledge them, let them be, and bring your attention gently back to witnessing the mental flow.

Think of your thoughts as clouds … they just float by. You don’t try to grab them or hold onto them. You merely watch them … one at a time, gently floating along … in and out of your point of view.

We can watch them form, change, move, dissolve. We choose how they effect us, or if they effect us at all.

As the big blue of the sky is always there behind the clouds; notice how the part of you that is able just to watch your thoughts is always there behind the mental impressions.