Notices

Can limiting bring more success???

Old 09-06-2012, 11:21 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Canguy,

Yes most people can and do drink moderately. You are't going to find a lot of those folk here. Give moderation a try. It might work for you. Me, I find it too much of a hasstle. It is easier for me to be a non-drinker.

I don't like the way alcohol affects my life so I banished it. And my life is so much better. But to a point of your question: I think that moderate drinking is certainly better than binge drinking. I think Harm Reduction strategies are helpful to many. Better is better.

I made the decision to remove alcohol from my life a ways back and I've never regretted it (well perhaps for the odd thought here or there). Many previous times I drank and regretted that decision. I hope you find what works for you.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:32 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

People who are capable of moderating do moderate, usually long before they arrive at SR.

Clinging to the idea of moderation after repeated failures—or imagining how you can drink for a while longer, gradually cutting back, easing into abstinence—are hallmarks of active addiction.

Drinking feeds the addiction. The amount is irrelevant. In fact I'd submit that even the thought of one day drinking again—in a year, maybe two, maybe 10—feeds the addiction.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:43 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Thank you to everyone who has shared in this post. Ehhh I proved to myself again last night that I cant moderate...I feel crappy today....

Means a lot to be able to come here and read other peoples stories.....thank you
Old 09-07-2012, 08:57 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Argonaut

Copperfield, I wrote a post why alcoholics can't moderate: it's here.

Short summary, due to the progressive nature of alcoholism and the effects of kindling and tolerance, your body has changed. It doesn't process alcohol the way it did when you started drinking, there is no will involved. Kindling and tolerance are not a myth, but medical conditions that have been well studied.

It's a mistake to make it a mental battle, something I did for years. A diabetic will always have to take insulin and a person with peanut allergy can't eat peanuts, ever. We alcoholics can't drink alcohol, ever again. If we do, the progressive nature of our disease will take us further into the abyss.

Today is a perfect day for day 1! Go for it!
Old 09-07-2012, 09:16 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

thanks Geralt - just read your blog - thank you for the link
Old 09-07-2012, 10:48 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

The answer is no, you cannot moderate, it will never work.

Decide to stay sober and put your foot down, tell yourself that you will never drink again and observe the thoughts that come up. Anything that strays from the original plan is the addictive voice trying to get you back. Learn to recognize the difference between that voice and your own.