Notices

Amino Acid Therapy

Old 09-05-2012, 08:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Talking Amino Acid Therapy

So I'm dedicated to recovery and a big part of that is in nutrition. Abusing alcohol really robs our body's of vital nutrients so it's safe to say that alcoholics are deficient in a number of important nutrients. I decided to start amino acid therapy and today was my first session. It involves being given intravenous amino acids from a trained professional. This is design to help re-balance brain chemistry, and it has a high success rate in alcoholics.

We know that some amino acids act as neurotransmitters in the brain. Some are excitatory amino acids and others are inhibitory amino acids. When people quit drinking they typically experience insomnia and anxiety among other things and it has been shown that saturating the brain with inhibitory amino acid neurotransmitters greatly improves these symptoms. Alcohol abuse causes changes in brain chemistry and an imbalance between inhibitory and excitatory amino acids.

I had my first session today and I haven't felt this good since before I started drinking! I never fathomed that you could feel this good from nutrients.

Is anyone else doing nutrient therapy? And what are your experiences with it? I'm also going to try mineral therapy as it is supposed to go with the amino acids therapy.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

I wish you well!

I haven't heard of this therapy yet, is it experimental?
Old 09-06-2012, 03:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'd just eat a lot of fish if I wanted amino acids etc.
So would sugarbear I think.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Where does one go--what type of trained professional does this?

I'm interested!
Old 09-06-2012, 05:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm definitely intrigued too!
Old 09-06-2012, 01:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RevivingOphelia View Post
Where does one go--what type of trained professional does this?

I'm interested!
I think it's considered orthomolecular medicine, so it's best to see a physician in that area. Your GP can give you a referral too. It is considered an "alternative" treatment for alcoholism so check that your insurance will cover it. There is quite a bit of scientific evidence to support its use. It seems logical that re-balancing brain chemistry plays an important role in long-term recovery and preventing relapse and it has a very high success rate. When it comes to alcoholism I think of it as a war. Why go into a war (sobriety) without the proper weapons? Or worse, yet, no weapons at all. Alcoholism is chemical, and psychological, it's much more than just "toughing it out" and "will power" or habit.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by canguy View Post
I'd just eat a lot of fish if I wanted amino acids etc.
So would sugarbear I think.
That might cut it once your brain is balanced.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Interesting, will have to research it.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have been taking amino acid gel caps since I became sober. Dr. Andrew Weil, a top nutrionist/homeopathic doctor in the U.S., has said that if you are depressed to definitely take amino acid. It has helped me, just taking it in that form. Keep us updated....I find it interesting. Take care.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

From what I read of this, it's not something to fly solo on.

Like any supplements, I recommend you speak with your Dr or someone qualified - whats worked for someone else may not work or may not be suitable for you

D
Old 09-06-2012, 02:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

I still think time is important. Nothing will change the brain much faster than it can heal, although something may help it along, but time needs time....

I'm researching it soon!

Thanks for the info!!!

p.s. I just read one site, seems this therapy is only a small part of an entire life-style change...about to read more....
Old 09-06-2012, 03:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

Most sites don't provide enough information on this therapy.

Many sites are money making schemes (rehabs, alternative docs, supplements to purchase, etc)

National Institutes of Health has many articles and studies on this topic. We still don't have this in the news as The Therapy for Alcoholism.

From what I've read so far.....this is my opinion....

-start with a doctor and a full physical
-see a nutritionist as what you eat will also effect those IV amino acids
-each person is very different, too many variables for a one size fits all approach to supplementing one's healing/recovery from alcoholism
-other medications can interfere with this therapy
-there are sites that say there are about 23 amino acids, another says 25, I haven't read enough to know how many there really are
-some of the amino acids inhibit others, some accelerate others

Bottom line, eat well. Heal your insides so you can absorb B vitamins (taking a supplement is nice, but if a body is damaged, only so much can really be absorbed anyway, which is why the IV Therapy is considered)--IV is due to the damage done, but again, TOO MANY VARIABLES exist from one person to the next!!!!!!!

Unless there is a lot of time to FULLY assess the individual and a LOT of money involved, this therapy is just more money making for others

Eat well, give time time, you will heal in that time!

Did you read about how they are now identifying more sections of DNA to find things they thought didn't exist?? That some of the "dead space" in DNA is not dead and that it really does stuff??

Medical science has yet to find the exact alcoholism mechanism....but they are still seeking it!

Again, thanks for letting us know this is something that is being considered...

Do some research for yourself!! I've bookmarked a few searches so far....
Old 11-15-2012, 03:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi. How is your treatment going? I recently had the brain restoration /amino acid treatment. 35 days ago. It is amazing. I had a lot of addictions. And now, ZERO.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

If anyone has any questions about it, feel free to ask me. I can only tell you of my experience. I'm new to this site..
Old 11-15-2012, 03:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

Brain restoration hey, I need a transplant!!
Old 11-15-2012, 04:40 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RecoRenee View Post
So I'm dedicated to recovery and a big part of that is in nutrition. Abusing alcohol really robs our body's of vital nutrients so it's safe to say that alcoholics are deficient in a number of important nutrients. I decided to start amino acid therapy and today was my first session. It involves being given intravenous amino acids from a trained professional. This is design to help re-balance brain chemistry, and it has a high success rate in alcoholics.

We know that some amino acids act as neurotransmitters in the brain. Some are excitatory amino acids and others are inhibitory amino acids. When people quit drinking they typically experience insomnia and anxiety among other things and it has been shown that saturating the brain with inhibitory amino acid neurotransmitters greatly improves these symptoms. Alcohol abuse causes changes in brain chemistry and an imbalance between inhibitory and excitatory amino acids.

I had my first session today and I haven't felt this good since before I started drinking! I never fathomed that you could feel this good from nutrients.

Is anyone else doing nutrient therapy? And what are your experiences with it? I'm also going to try mineral therapy as it is supposed to go with the amino acids therapy.
Interesting. I hope you keep us posted.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:06 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Spam ?
Old 11-15-2012, 06:09 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
Spam ?
Hmmm. Color me guillable. Maybe.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:08 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lionhearted1 View Post
Brain restoration hey, I need a transplant!!
I think I am with you on the transplant, maybe a brain that will allow me to remember where I put my keys and sunglasses!