Notices

Driver Alcohol Education Class as part of OUI probation

Old 09-05-2012, 01:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Driver Alcohol Education Class as part of OUI probation

I'm off to my weekly class. Every Wednesday night, for 16 weeks, I am required to attend a class as part of my probation. The purpose of this class is supposed to be to educate people of the dangers of drinking and driving. It is NOT what I expected.
First off, this is week 5. I have learned nothing. The first half of the class, we go around the room, talk about our weeks, and are required to talk about how much we drank. So... I (the only one there who is in recovery) get to sit and listen to these people (mostly 20somethings) yap about the bars downtown they went to, how many shots they had... how FUN it was... blah blah blah. They glamorize it bigtime and IMO it is very inappropriate and insensitive to people like me. It doesn't trigger me, but it pisses me off out of principle. These people are learning nothing, their extreme drinking is being condoned, and this could easily trigger someone else. Last week some 21 year old bragged he drank "20 beers and was hammered... had so much fun". WTF?? And the instructor just giggled!! Anyway, am I over reacting? We meet with the instructor 1 on 1 in a few weeks and I fully intend to give her my opinions on this.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I try to not judge other people.

We are all on our own journeys and it's not up to me to say whether or not another person is in the right place.

It's unfortunate that the class you're taking because of your DUI isn't worthwhile, but you know that you never have to go through it again. Use the experience to help reinforce your recovery.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's too bad that they aren't learning, which probably means that they are doomed to repeating history. But what they are learning, or not, has no bearing on what you learn. You have no control over them or the course. You can voice your opinion on how you feel, if you think it will do any good but what will you personally get from that. The instructor may or may not take offense, depending on how you put it, and fail you, which would mean you'd have to take it again.

As Anna said, if you've learned from your experience, you shouldn't have to repeat this course. So in the scheme of things, does it matter?

That being said it might be a far better idea to find out who is responsible for the funding of these courses and document the content covered in a more or less professional manner and give it to them. This would stand a better chance of getting the course modified