Notices

Sobered do you keep old habits?

Old 09-05-2012, 07:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sobered do you keep old habits?

Yesterday I realized I was still driving back roads through town, keeping breath mints, panicking if i saw a cop car, wondering if people were wondering about me. It's pretty weird but kind of funny. Today I'll try to drive a main road and see what that's like. Stil couldn't pass a field sobriety test because of inner ear issues but I could tell the officer to blow me but that wouldn't sound right. I would do a zero.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Your post made me laugh. I've been sober for a long time, and I still have those moments where I'll flash back to something like that. For instance, if I am at a work event, and say something stupid or jumble a sentence, I immediately think "oh no, they'll think I'm drunk", even though I haven't had a drink in years.

I'm not sure it ever leaves us
Old 09-05-2012, 07:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Resident Alien

Similar thing here, although my DOC was rx painkillers... every time I see a cop I instinctively feel my watch pocket (where I always kept them) to do a quick swallow if needed, even though I haven't had any in years.

Ditto to the jumbled word/sentence thing... I'll do that and immediately think "will they realize I'm slurring my words?" even though, ya know, I'm 100% sober.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I used to drive out in the country, just enjoying the views, the rolling hills and drinking a beer.

A couple days ago I did it again, with a 7UP, and I think I enjoyed it more than ever before. Really able to see everything, not having to look out for anyone to see me drinking, much more relaxing.

I don't think I'll ever get over that feeling of seeing a cop car. Makes me anxious for a second, no matter what.