Notices

Did Bill W ask for a drink on his death bed?

Old 09-05-2012, 05:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Did Bill W ask for a drink on his death bed?

Someone told me this and I was wondering if anyone knew the source. If it is true, it is very frightening. Will we always secretly want to drink no matter how many years of sobriety we have? Is that why in the friends and family of alcoholics section it seems that every loved one is somewhat suspicious of relapse forever?
Old 09-05-2012, 06:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't know if he did or not. I don't think you are ever cured from this....If I'm on my death bed sober I don't really care what I ask for....Because I feel like I've already been on my death bed in the height of my alcoholism.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You know what's funny... I sometimes think about this. I have never heard about Bill W's story and didn't know that there is a rumour that he asked for alcohol on his death bed. But sometimes I catch myself thinking "what if I found out I had 2 weeks to live (or whatever time period) would I drink again?"

I always end up at the same answer - that's my ADDICTION talking, not me. I don't want a drink, now or ever, and the only reason I have that thought is because my AV wants to keep the option of drinking open at some/any point in the future.

No way! I'm giving it no hope.

Try not think about or entertain any idea of ever drinking again, no matter what... it's not good for your sobriety.

Wishing you all the best x
Old 09-05-2012, 06:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by effortjoy View Post
Someone told me this and I was wondering if anyone knew the source. If it is true, it is very frightening. Will we always secretly want to drink no matter how many years of sobriety we have? Is that why in the friends and family of alcoholics section it seems that every loved one is somewhat suspicious of relapse forever?
I know folks with 5-10-20-30 years who have gone back out and picked right up where they left off.... and things got worse.

What we have is a "daily reprieve".

I wouldn't say that we "secretly" want to drink but perhaps it's more like "subconsciously" we are inclined to drink.

Please Google and read AA's "How It Works" and "The Doctors Opinion". Don't put too much faith in "someone told me".

All the best.

Bob R
Old 09-05-2012, 08:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Kza

Someone told me this and I was wondering if anyone knew the source. If it is true, it is very frightening. Wi
ll we always secretly want to drink no matter how many years of sobriety we have? Is that why in the friends and family of alcoholics section it seems that every loved one is somewhat suspicious of relapse forever?
Yes
Old 09-05-2012, 09:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
former walking pharmacy

I believe it's entirely possible that he died screaming for alcohol, but I do NOT think that simply because he is a co founder of AA that he is a model for all others suffering from addiction (far from it, in fact).

There's always going to be that addiction inside you waiting to be reactivated (through a drink or a drug). It's part of your physiology, but that doesn't mean you have to listen. Ever.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

to my knowledge, it was dr bob. either way, it is a reminder to me how cunning,baffling, powerful, and patient alcoholism is.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

From my readings, listening to old timer from the original group I haven't come across that information. Anything is possible. The reality is HE (Bill) was a human. He had character issues to the end. I don't worship Bill but say thank you for being a founder of AA.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

6yrs in AA and I haven't heard that other than from someone who's kinda new, heard it somewhere and thought they'd ask.

Lets say it was true though. Even if it did happen, so what? So one person asked for a drink on his/her deathbed. I know a whooooooole lot more who died sober and didn't. Look at the majority of the people who get into AA, work the program, and stick with it - they die sober by and large.

My experience is that you absolutely CAN and WILL get free from the urge to drink. Matter of fact, it's one of the "promises" in AA - that you can get free from that urge.

If one of my friends or someone in my family is constantly worried about me relapsing, it's probably on them. We humans, some of us anyway, sometimes just like to worry. On the flip side, if everyone around me was worrying about me relapsing, it may be a good indication that I need to take a good hard look at how I'm living my life in sobriety. In my experience, when "everyone's" worried, there's usually something there that I need to look at.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post
6yrs in AA and I haven't heard that other than from someone who's kinda new, heard it somewhere and thought they'd ask.

Lets say it was true though. Even if it did happen, so what? So one person asked for a drink on his/her deathbed. I know a whooooooole lot more who died sober and didn't. Look at the majority of the people who get into AA, work the program, and stick with it - they die sober by and large.

My experience is that you absolutely CAN and WILL get free from the urge to drink. Matter of fact, it's one of the "promises" in AA - that you can get free from that urge.

If one of my friends or someone in my family is constantly worried about me relapsing, it's probably on them. We humans, some of us anyway, sometimes just like to worry. On the flip side, if everyone around me was worrying about me relapsing, it may be a good indication that I need to take a good hard look at how I'm living my life in sobriety. In my experience, when "everyone's" worried, there's usually something there that I need to look at.
One word...
Amen!
Old 09-05-2012, 10:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

There is no gurantee that I will drink today, tomorrow
or yrs. from now. However, if I stay connected to my
AA teachings I have learned over the past 22 yrs. and
each minute of the day, then im pretty much sure I
won't drink. The moment I begin relying on my own
will or my own alcoholic thinking and disconnect from
my recovery life source then there is a greater possibility
I could drink.

I am responsible for my own recovery and If I want to
remain happy joyous and free from the desire to drink
today then I will continue on my path of recovery
passing on my own experiences, strengths and hopes
of what my life was like before, during and after
alcohol and with gratefullness and humbleness
continue accepting the rewards of the promises
given to us as stated in the Big Book Of AA.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Is that why in the friends and family of alcoholics section it seems that every loved one is somewhat suspicious of relapse forever?
They are familiar with past history that corresponds with a diagnosis of an incurable disease.
On James Dannenberg's log for December 25 -- Bill Wilson's last Christmas Day -- at six-ten in the morning, after a long night, the patient "asked for three shots of whiskey," Dannenberg noted. He also noted that Wilson was quite upset when he couldn't have what he asked for. There was no whiskey at Stepping Stones. A few days later he became belligerent and tried to punch the nurse. ...
On the seventh of January, Nurse Dannenberg noted that Bill had been visited by some family members and that after the visit he and Lois had an angry argument. The next morning Bill again asked him for whiskey. ...
By the fourteenth of January, Bill Wilson, a man who hadn't had a drink in almost thirty-seven years, a man who had discovered what is still the only successful way to treat alcoholism, was asking for whiskey again."
My Name Is Bill: Bill Wilson, His Life and the Creation of Alcoholics Anonymous, Susan Cheever, pages 248-249.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You know, I am not too bothered one way or another about this, what Bill W. did or did not do or say regarding whiskey when he was on his death bed. He was just a man, one who made a difference, but still, he was just a man... as imperfect as any of us. Whatever happened, it does not erase what he helped create.

What happens on my death bed is none of anybody's damn business, unless you are a loved one and by my side... The chances are good I won't be at my best... especially after "a long night".

Susan's book is supposed to be a very good one, I've heard her interviewed... It grew out of her interest in spirituality and her own experience with alcoholism, her father, I think. I should read it.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Dont know,,

I do know I attended a funeral of someone Monday that didnt. He took the 13 th step, and promised to keep a seat warm with the big boy's...

RIP RG.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:35 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
Bill Wilson, a man who hadn't had a drink in almost thirty-seven years
That ain't bad.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:37 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

According to "My Name is Bill" by Susan Cheever, Bill W. did ask for whiskey. More than once. She cited his nurse as having said it. He also did LSD and cheated on Lois in sobriety according to this book.

But, like everyone has said, he was HUMAN. Although he founded the most awesome recovery program ever (in my opinion) he was just like us: alcoholic and human. It is tempting to hold him to a higher standard, but we really shouldn't.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:41 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

That's true Elisabeth....For my sake....He was just an alkie who was in the right place at the right time...And kind enough to write down what was done.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:27 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Here's a hypothetical scenario to ponder......
What if he did ask for alcohol, but what if he didn't actually pass away. Let's imagine that he goes to a meeting or comes onto SR afterwards admitting his struggle and lapse of judgement. How would you receive him? What would you say?
Speaking for myself, I certainly couldn't be casting any stones.
We are all imperfect people. He's done a lot more than me though and certainly helped a lot more people.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:03 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have no idea whether it's true EJ - and I don't care - anymore than I would if I heard the same of the founders of Rational Recovery SMART or Lifering or another programme.

Programmes are not just one person and people are not their programmes.

I'm reading the biography of Warren Zevon right now - he went back to drinking after 20 years sobriety when he learned he was dying.

Personally, I think he made a bad choice, but geez, I understand it.

I'm trusting I'd have the wherewithal to make a better choice in a similar situation tho.

I want to go out this way - the drunken me died in 2007

and...mod hat on...let's not get into points scoring or programme bashing here guys.

D