Notices

Recovery is great!

Old 09-05-2012, 05:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recovery is great!

Hello everyone,

I never knew there were such established forums on addiction until now. I wished I had joined this forum during my early recovery as it would have been a great help.

I have been clean for 10 years now. I was addicted to sleeping pills due to my Osteoarthritis (OA) pain. As a result of the pain, I could not sleep and so started taking sleeping pills and in a matter of time, became addicted to it. At the peak of my active addiction, I could swallow 90 pills and still could not sleep. Any normal people would have died of OD. That was how high my tolerance level was.

I tried giving up twice when I started having all the side effects. Each time I quit, I immediately had a seizure which was actually the withdrawal symptom. So I was rushed to the hospital. I almost died twice. Eventually, my family members intervened and arranged for me to attend a treatment centre for 28 days based on NA 12 steps program. It was the best thing that ever happened for me.

I chose the path to recovery as I do not want to lose all the things that are important to me. My addiction experience was a blessing for me as I had learned to appreciate a lot of things. I appreciate being alive. I appreciate the simple things in life. I appreciate my exercise program which helped me to manage my pain from OA. And most of all, I appreciate having a much richer life and being able to share my life story in the hope that I could inspire others battling the same problem.

About 17 months ago, I went through a successful bilateral total knee replacement as my OA had reached a severe stage. This was also one of the best thing that I ever did. I have two pain free knees now and am still able to lead an active lifestyle.

Elsie Yan
Old 09-05-2012, 05:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR LKYAN....Those steps saved my life too.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR LKYAN x
Old 09-05-2012, 03:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR - great to have you here LKYAN

D