Notices

Young newcomer...

Old 09-04-2012, 09:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Young newcomer...

Well it feels really odd posting here. I never thought I had a problem. I was always the "fun" one of my group of mates, always organising to go out, who never left the party/bar/club until 3am or closing. Hell, I'm not even 30 yet.

I've wrecked relationships, nearly lost a few jobs, called in sick at work hungover so many times, cheated on girlfriends, driven home drunk, made an ass of myself countless times over.

I used to go cycling/running (my bike is dusty in the garage, hasnt been used in over 2 years), rock climbing, used to have a weekend cruiser, pretty much my weekends now are finishing work and going out and getting wasted and trying to recover before work on monday. Rinse, repeat.

A few drinks with some guys from a new job turned in a 12 hour session of beer and scotch that took me 2 days to recover from. I couldn't leave the couch or eat. I knew finally enough was enough and I've decided I need to quit. Wish me luck.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Just to say Hi, seeing as we signed up within minutes of each other.
Activity here seems to tail off rapidly in what I experience as late afternoon. Guess they've got to sleep sometime......
Old 09-04-2012, 11:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, zeg. Welcome to SR.

Your story is incredibly familiar to me. Canguy's right, it's a bit slow at the moment, but trust me, you'll be amazed how many people have a similar story.

I knew finally enough was enough and I've decided I need to quit.
Believe it or not, that's the happy ending. Or at least the beginning of the happy ending. I know it seems really tough right now. It was hard for me to imagine life without alcohol. But you know what? That was just an illusion created by addiction. Once I got clear of the booze, it was amazing how much better everything became. Even bad days are easier to handle now. Who knew?

Glad you found us.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! You'll find a lot of encouragement in these forums. Best wishes to you!
Old 09-04-2012, 11:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Its great you're deciding to stop. I had a crazy weekend, and really realized its time to quit. You're definitely not too young, I'm 27 and there are a lot of people younger than us doing the same thing.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome thezeg!

Great to have you with us!
Old 09-04-2012, 11:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've had breaks before, but this time is for good.

I somehow have managed to maintain my lifestyle on the absolute borderline without it going off the rails. I've always managed to hide it well and none of my friends have been wiser that I might be drinking too much. But if it went any further I'd end up losing my license, my job, my girlfriend and my friends.

I have 2 uncles who I rarely see who are full blown alcoholics. They literally live in their local pub/friends house/their own couch all day every day. Maybe comparing myself to them I've thought in comparison I don't have a problem?
Old 09-04-2012, 11:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome thezeg
I definitely had people in my life I used to convince myself I wasn't that bad.

If you're sick of your drinking, then you've found a great community to join - welcome

D
Old 09-05-2012, 02:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I just read this

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-functioning_alcoholic

and was upset for a while after. This page may as well just have a picture of me on it. I am every single dot point.

I need to make sure I dont drink again. What exactly do I do from here? I would feel silly going to a support group. I dont have to drink every day and have some control over that, but once Ive had 1, I cant stop until the house or bar is dry.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! I gave up drinking over two years ago and haven't been this happy in my life in a long time. Give it up for a while and see how you like it.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome. You'll find lots of great support here.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I too, am new to this site. I’m really glad I found this. I’m only 10 days in. Withdrawals are absolutely horrible!
Old 03-12-2018, 03:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yes, withdrawals are definitely horrible, but they are the first thing to go on the road to sobriety. This is a great place to hang onto it and have one day turn into one month, one year, and on down the line. Keep it going and congrats on 10 days!!
Old 03-12-2018, 03:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soloblueflyer1 View Post
I too, am new to this site. I’m really glad I found this. I’m only 10 days in. Withdrawals are absolutely horrible!
Welcome to SR, Soloblueflyer. Very nice to meet you. Congrats on 10 sober days.

This is a very old thread. You may want to introduce yourself to the wider community/this forum by starting a new thread.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thezeg View Post
I've had breaks before, but this time is for good.

I somehow have managed to maintain my lifestyle on the absolute borderline without it going off the rails. I've always managed to hide it well and none of my friends have been wiser that I might be drinking too much. But if it went any further I'd end up losing my license, my job, my girlfriend and my friends.
Hi Zeg,
I'm only new here too, 7 days off the booze so far. I can identify with pretty much everything you said above, maintaining this lifestyle whilst trying to make sure people are none the wiser is some kind of effort, only I did lose my license and ended up with an alcohol interlock for 12 months. Not fun, and definitely not cheap!
I've found everyone here is supportive and helpful.
Best of luck to you on your journey!
Old 03-12-2018, 04:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hey there! It's awesome to see young people here too, I'm not even 21 and I'm trying to get sober. 4 days sober actually. SR is a really awesome place with lots of support and nice people. It helps a lot
Old 03-12-2018, 08:49 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Hi Zeg, I got sober at 22, Lots of alcoholics recover in their 20s. Good luck.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:07 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
MrBrad

Best of luck, buddy.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:25 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome soloblueflyer and waterboy.

TheZeg, the original poster, is from 2012 guys

D