Notices

Day 6 not so easy.

Old 09-04-2012, 03:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 6 not so easy.

Today I'm getting whomped by my desire to drink. It's awful. I'm holding the thought in my mind of what I'll feel like when I wake up tomorrow if I cave in tonight. How crappy I'll feel. How disappointed in myself and lost. How sick I'll feel. How disgusted I'll be with myself. Remembering all that is the only way I can get through this without giving in.

This seemed to be going along so smoothly.

I think part of it is that I'm 6 days sober and the residual sugars are probably out of my body. So I'm beginning to crave sweets. My body has always gotten its fill of sugar from alcohol. So instead of craving actual sweets I'm craving a very specific, very sweet pumpkin ale. Which, strangely, I haven't been that crazy about because of the sweetness of it. But I also know I'm missing the atmosphere I was so used to.

I'm leaving work in five minutes to go straight home and open up an ice cream sandwich.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I dunno about you Backbeat but I drank for 20 years - it's going to take a little while for this lifestyle change to settle in.

Recovery's not a straight line...there's all kinds of bumps and double backs and good days and not so good days...but life's like that too

It will get easier though - stick with it!

D
Old 09-04-2012, 03:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
One Foot in Front of the Other

How's the weather out in north Jersey right now? Can you get out on that Sporty, maybe blast some of those bad feelings away?
Old 09-04-2012, 03:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's a good idea to keep hard candies around for that very reason. I'm at 107 days sober and it's not as needed as much as it was in the very beginning. I started with hard candy and then I got addicted to gummy bears.. Ice cream sounds great..

I work the AA program and that's what helps me the most. If I have a bad day-I run to meetings, I call my sponsor (more than the 1 time each day) and I will call other AA members for help..
Old 09-04-2012, 03:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Eat as many sweets as you want. Your body misses the sugar, as you stated. Eat a whole box of ice cream sandwiches if you have to, just don't drink. You'll feel better in the morning.

At 6 days, you need to treat yourself with kid gloves and do what you need to do to stay sober. I would eat a whole angel food cake in one sitting, or a pint of ice cream. I never woke up hung over or not knowing what I did the night before from it!
Old 09-04-2012, 04:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

Sweets are completely normal to crave in the beginning! It's better that you have sweets than alcohol! You can do it!
Old 09-04-2012, 05:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I agree..I'm on day 6 also, and this time I have given myself permission to eat what I want, when I want, as long as I don't drink. For the first few days, I definately overate, but it's funny because now I seem to not have that much of an appetite. Anyway, some days are just hard, some craving stronger than others. LIke you said, just think of tomorrow morning, how you want to feel physically and psychologically. Often, that gets me through it. That, and, yes, eating! Whatever it takes at that this point.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Someone once told me that urges really only last for a very short time, like minutes. Get thru the minutes. Eat a sweet, heck eat two, or ten. I know I certainly did. You can do this!
Old 09-05-2012, 11:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the encouragement. It worked. Now day 7! And the cravings are gone for now. Thanks again.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I would have loved to! But it's been pouring here off and on for a few days. Definitely a great outlet once it all clears up though Thanks.

Originally Posted by WantToHeal View Post
How's the weather out in north Jersey right now? Can you get out on that Sporty, maybe blast some of those bad feelings away?
Old 09-05-2012, 12:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pipparina View Post
Eat as many sweets as you want. Your body misses the sugar, as you stated. Eat a whole box of ice cream sandwiches if you have to, just don't drink. You'll feel better in the morning.

At 6 days, you need to treat yourself with kid gloves and do what you need to do to stay sober. I would eat a whole angel food cake in one sitting, or a pint of ice cream. I never woke up hung over or not knowing what I did the night before from it!
Please be a little careful with this advice. Quite a few alcoholics wind up with type 2 diabetes and sugar consumption (any carbs actually) can be quite detrimental.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

I am with everyone and dont expect to much.. It takes time to learn a new life..
Old 09-05-2012, 12:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I know what you mean. I always have a jar of jelly beans in my kitchen for this reason
Old 09-05-2012, 12:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

When alcohol cravings kick in for me, I have recognized that I haven't eaten in awhile. I'll sit down to a wholesome dinner or lunch and feel 100% better. I won't allow myself to go to many hours without food. I'm not talking sugar. So......are these cravings when you are hungry?
Old 09-05-2012, 12:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

So happy you made it through the cravings I'm sure you feel great today. I also do the same thing I talk myself out of drinking by telling myself how awful I'll feel in the morning.

Prayers for you One day at a time!