Notices

tick...tock...tick...tock...

Old 09-04-2012, 11:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

tick...tock...tick...tock...

Having one of those days where I have to take it minute by minute. Can they go any slower?! I laid down to take a nap, trying to get my mind off of that glass of wine I seem to want so badly. Only to find that I went right back to the same old thoughts once I woke. So I went for a walk. Felt good, now back at home, same old thoughts. Ugh.

When I wasn't walking or sleeping, I've been on here. Reading as much as possible. Never heard of AVRT until I joined SR. 5 minutes ago, I ordered Jack Trimpey's book. Figured it couldn't hurt.

But, on a good note...so far, I haven't poured that glass.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I found AA meetings to be a life saver during those times in early sobriety when I just didnt know what to do. Have you thought about trying any meetings?
Old 09-04-2012, 11:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It is so hard but keep it up. Sometimes I really think its not one day at a time but one minute at a time.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Jaz, glad you are hanging in there. I found the first weeks went incredibly slowly. I was glad that I had opportunity to take naps and that did help me in lots of ways. Also spent a good bit of time putting healthy meals together when I felt better.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hay jaz06,

If it goes anywhere i hope that drink goes down the sink . For me just waiting it out worked, radio on and blankets over my head. I figured if i could resist it doing nothing then i should be able to get through the toughest of times.

Bestwishes, M
Old 09-04-2012, 11:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Auvers View Post
Jaz, glad you are hanging in there. I found the first weeks went incredibly slowly. I was glad that I had opportunity to take naps and that did help me in lots of ways. Also spent a good bit of time putting healthy meals together when I felt better.
I have found that the time has gone by slowly in these first weeks and I have to wonder if this is why some here have posted that they are "bored" with their new, sober life. I see the longer hours not as extra time but the surplus of hours that are now freed up from not drinking them away! I'm trying to spend as much of that time as I can engaged in healthy activities. Yes, naps and rest are healthy activities!
Old 09-04-2012, 12:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bbthumper View Post
I found AA meetings to be a life saver during those times in early sobriety when I just didnt know what to do. Have you thought about trying any meetings?
Hi bb! I have considered AA meetings, though I've never attended one. I live in a very, very small town. We're talking not even 1 single stop light. Seems everyone knows everyone. I guess what has stopped me is that I don't see how the whole 'anonymous' thing will work. I'm ashamed enough as it is, putting my business out there is scary.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Hi, Jaz, it sounds like you have decided to get serious about this now, and that is a very good sign. While you are waiting for the AVRT book to be delivered, you can look at the condensed version of the book called The Crash Course that is available for free on the Rational Recovery website. It may be just what you are looking for.

If you have any questions or would like to introduce yourself to SR's ' AVRT support group', make a post on the Secular Connections forum. That's where AVRT and the other alternatives to 12 Step recovery are discussed. We will be most delighted to see you there.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hang in there Jaz. Distraction is a perfectly valid coping strategy so keep up the napping and walking I have found that I have had to work really hard on changing those thought patterns though. AVRT will definitely help with that x
Old 09-04-2012, 01:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Jaz--I understand your concern with the small town factor. It's funny, when I starting going to AA (this time around)..I knew quite a few people in the rooms and wasn't ashamed of being found out. There are doctors, lawyers, professionals who all admitted their alcoholism and admitting it is a big step to surrendering. I could not have made it through the last 18 months without AA. It gets easier with time of course. Checking out a meeting would be a good start if you feel up to it. You can just observe & decide. You will find a welcoming group of people who understand what you are going through.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

minute by minute ...i sure can relate to that but if i did it you can to im on day 96 and i promise that it gets better hang in there and keep posting
Old 09-04-2012, 02:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some days can be like that Jaz - are you doing better now?

D
Old 09-04-2012, 03:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jaz06 View Post
Hi bb! I have considered AA meetings, though I've never attended one. I live in a very, very small town. We're talking not even 1 single stop light. Seems everyone knows everyone. I guess what has stopped me is that I don't see how the whole 'anonymous' thing will work. I'm ashamed enough as it is, putting my business out there is scary.
I can understand your concern. Maybe you can look at meetings in other towns? Sobriety is worth whatever it takes. Best wishes!
Old 09-05-2012, 05:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Some days can be like that Jaz - are you doing better now?

D
I am...thx Dee. Yesterday was a tough one. But I can say I am now on day 2. Haven't been able to say that in a looooong time. I wake up every morning saying "this is the day...". Only to find myself posting, "day 1....AGAIN". I find it embarrassing putting that on here...after reading all the success people are having (don't get me wrong...love, love, LOVE hearing those stories & am very happy for those who are succeeding). But I have to make myself accountable. I'm definitely realizing just how many changes I have to make. Some sad, but necessary.