Notices

Bit of advice needed

Old 09-04-2012, 06:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bit of advice needed

Hi guys
I just have a quick question, I hope someone can help.
I'm 14 days sober of drinking. But I also was/am addicted to codeine, but I've stopped taking that too. I've been waking up with these weird fake hangovers, and I'm wondering whether it would be ok to take paracetamol for my headache. I don't ever want to drink or take codeine again, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed painkillers at all?
If anyone has any ideas/thoughts I'd really appreciate them.
Thanks
Old 09-04-2012, 06:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My first bit of advice would be go to a Doctor and be honest with him as to what you're trying to do.

My second, and this is just a personal opinion as a dual addict, is that I would never go beyond extra strength tylenol, especially in the early recovery days. I get migraines, and will only resort to something more than tylenol in extreme cases. But even then it's with my Doctor's order and he knows all about my addictions and my entire medically related recovery
Old 09-04-2012, 06:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Fred, thanks for that advice. I'll speak to the doctor about it, they know about my alcoholism but not necessarily about all the pills. I'll try and soldier on a bit without painkillers. I'm drinking a lot of water and hoping for the best!
Getting a proper medical opinion seems like the best thing to do. Thanks!
Old 09-04-2012, 07:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You can get withdrawals from codeine - I used to shake and tremble and feel nervous and have headaches.
In the UK we get 8mg codeine/500mg pAracetamol which you clan buy or stronger 30mg/500mg on prescription.
If I were you I would see a doctor about your symptoms and drink lots of fluids as dehydration can cause headaches.
Ibuprofen and paracetamol work good for me.
No high and no addiction either.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you talk to your dr about this, too.

I don't think we should suffer through extreme pain because we are addicts, but try other options first.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have been avoiding taking painkillers too Ruby, but then I had pretty consistent headaches for months after stopping drinking so it was bound to get excessive. I discovered tiger balm seems to work miracles on tension headaches for me. Maybe look at some natural alternatives x
Old 09-04-2012, 01:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

There is a huge difference between 'prescription painkillers', opiates like codeine, oxycodone, hydromorphone, fentanyl and other extremely addictive medications, and other painkillers with zero addiction potential like aspirin, acetaminophen, or ibuprofen. There is no possible impact to your sobriety by taking any of those, so please do not suffer needlessly from pain or inflammation. But, there are possible health impacts from taking these, acetaminophen/paracetamol in particular, if your liver is compromised.

I agree with FredG here. Please talk with your Doctor and get his recommendations.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Freshstart is right. Do not suffer when ibuprofen can help with headaches.
Opiates were my demon and the tricks they play on your body while detoxing can be brutal.
Stick with it...its worth it!

Blessings and hugs.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
I looked like that holdin beer

I don't see the issue in taking an over the counter pain reliever for headaches
Isn't paracetamol the same as acetaminophen? Why would you be scared to take a Tylenol? Unless you have liver damage.

But what the hec do I know?

Go to your doc.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks guys! i really appreciate this. I will talk to the doctor as I have a bit of (temporary) liver damage from my previous drinking/painkiller taking.
I managed without today, but will stick to ibuprofen if I need it in the next couple of days.
I will defo check out herbal remedies too, now I'm 'clean' I want to be as clean as possible, so I'm definitely receptive to alternative therapies.
Thanks everyone! Glad I'm not the only person who has experienced this! x
Old 09-04-2012, 03:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

Are you drinking enough water?
Old 09-04-2012, 03:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Probably not, every time I get a headache I remember, but that's usually too late. I just need to get in the habit of looking after myself, getting enough food and water. It's hard re-training myself. I go back to work on Thursday which is good, cos I always drink loads of water at work because I have a big bottle by my desk.
I did have painkillers tonight in the end. I figured once wouldn't hurt and they don't contain anything I'm addicted to. So I'll just ask the doctors advice on the liver situation.
Good point!