Notices

Beware Of Cleaning Out Storage Rooms

Old 09-02-2012, 03:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Beware Of Cleaning Out Storage Rooms

I did mine and found a grocery sack of empty vodka bottles. Why the heck would I have put them in storage? The drunkers mind is something. Today I put them in in recyling. I also went to the store today, filled with folks buying ribs and booze for the holiday I got so distracted I ran my cart into an elderly lady. She wasn't injured. I bought Odwalla Superfood. I will not put them in storage.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

I clung to a lot of empties because it was easier than facing the shame of getting rid of them. Never went so far as to move them to permanent storage, though!
Old 09-02-2012, 06:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

((Fitz)) - When I emptied a friend's storage shed for her, her daughter and I came upon a meth pipe. I was NOT expecting that, said "oh ****!" and dropped it at which time it shattered.

SO glad you're keeping your sense of humor

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 09-02-2012, 06:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My sense of humor is the only sense I have. It bothered me though like photos of an old relationship. I see the good and the bad though the bad wasn't good it could seem that way. But its ok I get on SR and its all understanding. Next time i'll just tourch my storage.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
I clung to a lot of empties because it was easier than facing the shame of getting rid of them. Never went so far as to move them to permanent storage, though!
Same thing for me Ranger. Heck, I lived alone and used to hide empty half-gallon bottles in dog food bags and in half-full trash bags so the garbage men wouldn't know (I guess......) how much I was drinking.
:rotfxko

Originally Posted by MycoolFitz View Post
Next time i'll just tourch my storage.
Nah....... I think it's healthy to face that stuff. It's not always fun, but it helps in the healing process to see just what we're capable of - especially those of us who cling to the idea that we were, what's that phrase..... "functioning alcoholics." I wasn't nearly as functioning as I believed......
Old 09-02-2012, 07:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Who knows what we were thinking back then Fitz...glad they're gone anyway

Try not to run into anymore old ladies tho, ok?

D
Old 09-02-2012, 07:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It feels good not to be sneaky and secretive, doesn't it?
Old 09-02-2012, 08:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by katrinka View Post
It certainly does, Katrinka!
Old 09-02-2012, 08:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

haha I was cleaning out my closet the other day, and came across a plastic storage bin filled with random clothes. I took the clothes out and found a wine cork at the bottom. Apparently I was hiding wine in a bin and threw a bunch of clothes on top of it lol. I showed the cork to my husband right away so he wouldn't find it and think I was drinking again! I also found full beer cans under the seats of my car, and empties in my office. I had the crap everywhere!
Old 09-02-2012, 09:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

either i was part squirrel when i was drinking or squirrels are alcoholics because i "collected" bottle caps, empty bottles, cans and such in the strangest of places. i even found some stashed in a couple of cat carriers! i did everything i could to hid my drinking from my husband. it's so nice now that i've moved and been through all my stuff to know that there isn't a single bottle in the place.

when we moved to our new place, there were empty bottles in the basement. i drug my husband downstairs to show him so he knew they weren't mine!
Old 09-03-2012, 01:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

I used t hide mine under the sink lol, amongst all the cleaning parafanalia, behind the sofa, right in the back of cupboards and pray that I wouldn't forget where I hid them in case hubby would inadvertently find them first! In the laundry. Sometimes in my knitting boxes.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post
Same thing for me Ranger. Heck, I lived alone and used to hide empty half-gallon bottles in dog food bags and in half-full trash bags so the garbage men wouldn't know (I guess......) how much I was drinking.
:rotfxko

Nah....... I think it's healthy to face that stuff. It's not always fun, but it helps in the healing process to see just what we're capable of - especially those of us who cling to the idea that we were, what's that phrase..... "functioning alcoholics." I wasn't nearly as functioning as I believed......
I sincerely don't know how I "functioned", I'm so relieved I never ever have to have that life back. Please God.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by katrinka View Post
At the time it sure did!! .......as it was adding to the insanity and killing me piece by piece along the way!

-- proof positive that often what feels good isn't necessarily good for me. <-- and that's a helluva lesson to learn in recovery.

heh.....5 yrs into this deal and yanno what, it still "feels good" to be sneaky, controlling, to get one over on ppl, or to exercise some misguided sense of power or superiority over others. In contrast, forgiving others, making amends, not doing what I want to even though I think I'll miss out on something I think I need and instead doing what I DON'T want to do but doing it anyway because it'll help someone else....... none of that stuff feels good at the time. It almost always feels like I'm being a sucker....like I'm rolling over and just taking it.....like I'm being a pushover......or weak-willed. Let some time pass though and look at the longer term results and it's pretty obvious - doing what feels good at the time almost always leads to more pain for me and doing the unselfish things almost always leads to me feeling whole.....or better....in the bigger picture.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I still worry about what the garbage men and recycle man think of me.....
man, this is the crazy cat lady! Lookat all this dirty cat litter.
5million k cups!
500cans of washed friskie cans! Lol