Notices

Seeing my probation officer on Tuesday

Old 09-02-2012, 02:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Seeing my probation officer on Tuesday

Got busted for a DWI. 3 years probation. I quit drinking for a couple of months but when I found that I could get away with drinking, I went fast downhill. 2 years have passed and I've never gotten caught until last Wednesday when he showed up and I blew positive for alcohol. It was the last straw for me, I need to get sober NOW.

I have a meeting with him this Tuesday to find out if I'm going to jail. It is my first positive test, so I'm hoping he'll have some leniency. I'm an alcoholic through and through, I know this. My anxiety about Tuesday is crippling.

Does anybody have any advice or words of encouragement because I'm scared out of my mind. Has anyone here been in the same position?
Old 09-02-2012, 03:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I looked like that holdin beer

Well, I never got a DUI, but I got a battery on a LEO charge a few years back. That still didn't stop me from drinking. I was on probation for a year, but didn't have to breath test, just drug test, and never failed one.

I don't know what will happen on Tuesday, but whatever happens will happen no matter how much you worry. You will have to face whatever the consequences will be. Such is life. I know it wont kill you, whatever it is.

I am glad that you are making this your last straw

Good luck my friend
Old 09-02-2012, 03:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you
Old 09-02-2012, 03:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

All I can say is your already luckier than I .. I never got a chance. I have had 4 dui's..

Get your arse to a meeting with a piece of paper get it signed and go to as many meeting as you can..

And if you go to jail oh well, it is what it is.. The way I looked at it every time was it was a way to dry out, read, and try to get my sh** together.

You'll be fine if you quit drinking, that is what this stubborn alcoholic needed to do.. AA saved this life, it might save yours and at least it will save someone else without you on the road..

You can be free.. You dont need to go down the road I did, fix it now..
Old 09-02-2012, 03:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

4 days sober and working on it. Thank you
Old 09-02-2012, 03:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

I quit drinking for a couple of months but when I found that I could get away with drinking, I went fast downhill

Thats what we do, we are alcoholic, heavy , binge, emtional, whatever you want to called it .. Label is this I drank to much to often to long... I am a alkie...

4 days sober and working on it. Thank you
What are you doing ? I mean you say your working on it , what do you mean by that.. What actions are you taking to get yourself in a better postion for meeting your PO and then for yourself..
Old 09-02-2012, 03:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What are you doing ? I mean you say your working on it , what do you mean by that.. What actions are you taking to get yourself in a better postion for meeting your PO and then for yourself.
I met up with 2 friends of mine, one is 10+ years sober and the other is 6+. They gave me a list of local meetings and told me if I want to talk anytime call them. We talked for about an hour about the struggle. The guy thats 10+ years sober said it took him 3 years of trying to quit to get 1 full year sobriety.

Basically, I'm taking it one step at a time. I work in a restaurant job where drinking is prevalent and I always have a few drinks after work. Today I didn't.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the site. I've been sober for going on three years now with the help of my counselor and the people on SR. Congrats on your four days sober and may you have many more all in a row.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Goa, know for sure that you don't have to go through any of this again. You can stay sober and change your life. Congrats on 4 days sober!
Old 09-02-2012, 03:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Offer to do an outpatient program maybe? Like an intense one... I did one 5 days/week for 5 weeks.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Goa, know for sure that you don't have to go through any of this again. You can stay sober and change your life. Congrats on 4 days sober!

This post gave me a great feeling thank you
Old 09-02-2012, 04:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Right on I have been in hospitality for 20 plus,, as a chef for 15.. Totally understand the restaurant drinking thing.. Hand in hand.. My pride and joy was working under a Iron Chef till one day I just said no thanks this one drink is more important..

Thats great you are talking to some with good time behind them.. And yes some take several attempts at getting sober, some like a brother here Sapling didnt.. He got it and has not given it up ..

I only ask these questions becasuse I dont want you to have to gone down the same road.. I left cooking for a year to get sober... Now I have my own business small but its mine.. Phenom Catering.. " Come try the phenomean of good craving .."

Thanks all to AA which I am blessed to be in Cleveland for.. and I wish you only the best ..

Restaurant life is a bitch with trying to stay sober..
Old 09-02-2012, 04:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks all to AA which I am blessed to be in Cleveland for.. and I wish you only the best ..

Restaurant life is a bitch with trying to stay sober..
thank you for the post and your well wishes
Old 09-02-2012, 04:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
I looked like that holdin beer

Congrats on your 4 days
Old 09-02-2012, 04:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

4 days is great. Seems like meetings and OP or even rehab could be the ticket for you right now. Good luck, sending good thoughts your way!
Old 09-02-2012, 05:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
One Foot in Front of the Other

Hang in there, GoaStyle. I had a DUI back in 2002, but my probation was informal (summary probation), and I did not have to report to a PO. I did have to go to outpatient rehab, though, but at the time, I didn't take it very seriously.

I know my story isn't entirely relateable. I'll be thinking about you on Tuesday, and hoping your PO doesn't violate you. As others have stated, probably your best course of action is to get serious about this, and take action to demonstrate to your PO that you're serious about this, whether that's meetings or some sort of rehab.

Keep reading and posting. It does help carry you through the struggle. You CAN get through this, and come out the other side a better person!
Old 09-02-2012, 06:13 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

. You CAN get through this, and come out the other side a better person!
thank you very, very much for your support.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:06 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by GoaStyle View Post
The guy thats 10+ years sober said it took him 3 years of trying to quit to get 1 full year sobriety.
I've seen that plenty.....just know though, it doesn't have to be that way. Some ppl are willing to start working the program right away. It was about 6 months before I was willing to surrender to the process......6 months of drinking. I was GOING TO AA meetings but I wasn't "in" AA - I wasn't IN recovery and I wasn't working the one and only recovery program AA offers - I was just up in the stands cheering.

....and btw, 3 DUI's for me. Oh, and #3, it came while there was a bench warrant for my arrest for........guess what? "Failure to appear" in court for DUI #2 -- so I totally get how crippling that fear can be.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:19 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

My dumb butt went to probation drunk about a year and a half ago. I had to stay in jail for 9 days waiting to see the judge but when I did he released me on an alcohol ankle monitor.

Just be honest with the judge. Hopefully he will cut you some slack. There are much worse things you could have done. Make this your wakeup call!!!
Old 09-02-2012, 07:36 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I know you are worrying your butt off, but do go to some meetings and get them to sign a paper for you. Show it to your po and the judge.