Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Eight days ago I got so drunk, and a week ago I decided to be sober

Notices

Eight days ago I got so drunk, and a week ago I decided to be sober

Old 09-02-2012, 10:45 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

This one of the myths I hear a lot here....beer is some kind of gentler alternative...

Beer nearly killed me. Alcohol is alcohol.

There is no difference between beer and tequila meso - not really.

D
Old 09-02-2012, 10:55 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

My BF used to give me possible outs when I first quit drinking. I realize it's partially because he didn't know all what went on in my head. No such talks now, I'm plenty happy not drinking now. He keeps a little wine and beer in the house, but I don't touch it. I don't want to go back to the mental gymnastics of controlling or moderating drinking. Too much wasted mental space for me. I still miss beer, sure. But I miss lots of things when they are gone, that's just life moving forward.

Take care of that tum! I gave myself gastritis from a combo of drinking and stomach infection. I battled stomach pain and black vomit. It takes care and time to heal, and booze is bad news for it. Might want to try probiotics, and switch to easy diet, worked well for me.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:00 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
This one of the myths I hear a lot here....beer is some kind of gentler alternative...

Beer nearly killed me. Alcohol is alcohol.

There is no difference between beer and tequila meso - not really.

D
I disagree with that. Comparing one cup of tequila to one cup of strong beer, is not the same in alcohol content.

If dranked in excessive, beer will have the same effects as tequila. But if you have two people one drinking one cup of beer, and the other one cup of tequila I am almost certain the one how is drinking tequila will hit the floor first. I was drinking cups of tequila for a while, maybe 3 or 4, and a shot or two, and five to seven beers or more... I don't even know what I drank that night, but I know it was a lot of tequila, and me and liquor never, ever mixed well.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:10 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah I kinda figured you'd disagree.

You have an implicit assumption there that one kind of alcohol is not as bad for you...that is simply not true...

and it's a 'back door' way of thinking that could lead to you inviting alcohol back into your life, meso.

D
Old 09-02-2012, 11:21 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Not at all. Alcohol is a poison, I have always known this. What I was disagreeing with is that I do believe beer is a gentler poison than tequila. I am fully aware that beer is also poison, but its one I have shown restraint with, and I do enjoy the taste; hence I brew my own beer and have done so for the past three years.

I am in the middle right now as most newcomers are I assume. So it is tough for me to say, "you know what everyone I am saying tonight, I am done with alcohol forever". I feel I am more open to failure this way. I appreciate the concern but this is how I feel the best way for me to handle my situation.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:58 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

I am fully aware that beer is also poison, but its one I have shown restraint with
What I was disagreeing with is that I do believe beer is a gentler poison than tequila
I don't expect to change your mind at all Meso - but I'd be doing others a disservice if I didn't point out this is exactly that back door thinking I was talking about.

If beer is gentler, if you've shown restraint before, if your GF is ok with you drinking beer, if you brew your own beer, if you keep the same social circle and keep doing the same social things in your life...

if you're not sure about forever and want to drink again some day....

can you see how that's likely to end?

Do it your own way by all means - but please think on this

9, 10 days you were in fear of your life.
You came here and asked for help and support - and now you're disagreeing with it all.

I get it. Had I arrived here @ SR any earlier than I did, I would have been the same way.

I was an intelligent forward thinking guy who was going to beat this - my way. Noone else was like me.

The only problem in my life was my drinking.

I wanted simply not to drink - and change nothing else....

That may prove possible for you, but it wasn't for me.

I had a will of steel. The problem was a large part of that will still wanted to drink....

You might be different.
Maybe I'm projecting.
I may not be worth listening to.

I'm ok with that

But my advice is to listen to what other people here, people who have been there before you, are telling you.

D

Last edited by Dee74; 09-03-2012 at 01:53 AM.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:11 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I don't expect to change your mind at all Meso - but I'd be doing others a disservice if I didn't point out this is exactly that back door thinking I was talking about.

Do it your own way by all means - but please think on this

9, 10 days you were in fear of your life.
You came here and asked for help and support - and now you're disagreeing with it all.

I get it. Had I arrived here any earlier than I did I would have be the same way.

I was an intelligent forward thinking guy who was going to beat this - my way. Noone else was like me.

The only problem in my life was my drinking.

I wanted simply not to drink - and change nothing else.

That may prove possible for you, but it wasn't for me.

I had a will of steel. The problem was a large part of that will still wanted to to drink.

You might be different.
Maybe I'm projecting.
I may not be worth listening to.

I'm ok with that

But my advice is to listen to what other people here, people who have been there before you, are telling you.

D
Everyone is worth listening to. I don't get mad, I appreciate every single one of you, because you know what, just a second ago I was thinking: you know, maybe I should just give it all up... Its like you guys are my good conscious working against me, my bad conscious lol

I know where I was 9 days ago. I know where I was I forget what day I was so upset at new bad stuff I found out about that night. WantToHeal was there for me, and so were you. I appreciated that more than you can imagine. Yes I am being stubborn, I realize this. Maybe there is at least one of you that is exactly the way I am, and maybe that guy is not here because he was able to be a normal drinker.

Either way, I don't want anyone to think I am not thinking about what you are telling me. Each one is a cut through my thought process and I love to think. If your rationale is better than mine, I will except your rationale as my truth only after I have carefully thought about it for days, weeks, months, or two years.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:17 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hi Meso

I understand your logic and have tried to quit for extended periods myself. Even if I lasted month etc I would tell myself I didn't have a problem and I could obviously control it. The problem was,for me at least, was that no matter how much I thought I could control it or how much I had changed my mindset, as soon as I drank again all other thoughts went out of the window-nothing had changed at all.

I've just read something on another thread which really hit me and made total sense- there comes a point when we move from wanting to be a normal drinker-to wanting to be a non drinker.wishing you all the best
Old 09-03-2012, 12:27 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

congratulations buddy!
Old 09-03-2012, 04:17 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Meso if you enjoy brewing stuff as a hobby try brewing Kombucha instead.. Of course, only after you've been cleared by your doc that your liver functions are okay!