Notices

Got a new job....sort of

Old 09-01-2012, 05:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Got a new job....sort of

Well this is going to take a while to explain, hopefully someone can provide some insight to ease my mind.

I recently applied to work at a bank, and went through the assessment, phone interview, and finally the in person interview. They checked the reference at my current job and the one I said I held before that. Went back to work at while still there got a call the same day that I had gotten the job, awesome!

The problem is however, is that they are doing a background check, and what this will entail I will not fully know until it is over I guess. The one job reference that they checked is in fact a real job, but the reference I gave was a family friend who pretty much told them great things about my employment there. I am worried that when they do the check they will see that I was never employed there, and start to question if I was lying and then take back the job offer.

I know lying is not good, especially not in recovery. This is more of a effort by me to get a good job, and I don't have a great list of job experience to put down on a resume, besides my current job, and my degree.

I was so happy to get it and now I am just constantly worrying about this. Sorry to ramble on, just needed to get this off my chest.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Did you let them know that was a personal reference?

Pray for the best! Something may happen!!!

I wish you that new job!

p.s. If they already told you that you had the new job, what are you concerned about? The background check is usually about criminal records, not employment.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well the reference was actually the manager at that job I listed. I mean I have worked there on occasion, just nothing that would show up on the books so to speak. And yes I even got a start date of September 10th, so maybe you are right about it just being a criminal background check. I worry about everything, it's starting to get old.

Thanks very much for your reply
Old 09-01-2012, 05:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This is finally the career path I wanted, and not just another dead end job, so this really means a lot to me.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I think Sugarbear's right about it being a criminal background check. Please let us know what happens, Prodigy. We're in your corner (fellow New Yorker ).
Old 09-01-2012, 05:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

In all my expierance in this situation .. I used to freak out about these things. But never had a problem after getting the job.

And if you got it , youre fine . Like they said usually its just criminal, but now a lot of companies pay for the credit rating and tax backround on you.. Very rare will a company hire you without everything done.

Many here will tell you to come clean ,, I personally say leave it alone. What is going to happen will, dont give them any more reasons. Do a great job and you will make up for how you got it..

Enjoy your new job and no more lies and youre good to go.
Stay sober
Old 09-01-2012, 05:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeah since it is at a bank I am sure they will do a credit check. I hope all goes well and I will hopefully be starting shortly.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

the anxiety and worry is normal for us in early recovery or those of us with untreated alcoholism.

the steps of AA helped me immensely! no more anxiety (ok, I'm working on habits of behavior, so I can create anxiety and I am learning how not to!)

Breathe, relax, and prepare for work!
Old 09-01-2012, 08:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Try and let it go until you hear something from them. I think you are going to be fine! Rooting for you, Prodigy!
Old 09-01-2012, 09:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

As long as you don't lie about your history then it should not be problem. Most of the time, they do a criminal background check and anything that you got in trouble with money will be a red flag that you will not get hire for the job. DUIs and traffic laws are less just as long you don't have to drive commercial. You should be okay.

Good luck on your new job. Just don't slip and use drugs/alcohol off or more so on the job.

Also about the credit check is going to be a lesser issue with a lot of people having bad credit in the US. Same goes with me too but because you're working for bank it could be an issue.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well I did lie on the app and resume in regards to the one previous job. Although I have worked there before, it wasn't any long term employment like I put on the resume. I have nothing to worry about in regards to criminal background, and as far as credit goes I have never missed a payment in the 6 years I have had my card (18-24) although I do owe a decent amount on it. I just hope I am over-analyzing it, they got two great recommendations from both jobs and offered me the job, I just hope it all works out.

Thanks everyone who answered.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I think you are over-analyzing it, but I understand. They have already checked your work references - now they are going to check your criminal background. It is a formality. Knock 'em dead!