Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Still new to sober living, what do you all do for fun at night?

Notices

Old 09-01-2012, 01:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Naturally, I easily stay awake at night no matter how many times I try to wake up early the next day. I am listening to Frank Ocean Pyramids and Kanye West Flashing Lights. The night scene is what I identify with; I actually plan/planned on owning various bars/nightclubs at some point. I love the night.

I have a friend that was a former alcoholic who says he goes out to bars with his friends who all drink. He just drinks his water. He tells me he gets a lot of play from females because he doesn't drink; I am sure it doesn't hurt that he is a stud. He is like, "they try to make me drink, they find it weird that I don't drink, they say they like it because its not normal to find a guy like that." He stopped for good reasons, but I guess the side effects of his stoppage wasn't bad either, haha.

I got my girl so we could go out dancing. But I am curious to know what you guys do during the nights? I have been watching movies... I don't watch movies, so this is not normal and weird to me. My philosophy on life is to live it and not through the tube. I like to making things happen so I have stories to tell; unfortunately I have bad stories mixed in with some good stories. I like to work, but I also like to have fun. I take my intellectual side as serious as I did my party side. But I am killing that party guy, he's a jerk that deserves to die; so no more booze for him.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I went to dinner and to hear a band last night. I drank red bulls do unfortunately I stayed up entirely too late. I am now a caffeine fiend.

Other than that, read, movies, camping, and hang out with AA friends.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

I guess it comes down to the individual. I needed to do away with any sort of thoughts of bar hopping\clubbing. It's not much 'fun', but I know from lots of experience what that type fun generally does for me. Sometimes when I'm up late, I'll read up on my hobbies, come here , go for a drive. I'm a loner sort of guy, so I don't feel that need to 'get out and socialize' at night.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Maybe it's time to identify with something new .

I always prefer to be making something happen than being a follower, which is why i like to make and perform music. It's a lot of work but fun .

One of the first sober people i ever met ran a pub here in the uk so i guess anything is possible, although i'd think getting a few years of sobriety before entering that game would be a good idea .

Is the running of a nightclub / bar about the party lifestyle ? as in my personal experience it's a very hard graft to make a sucessful one . Have you worked behind a bar, tried to walk the narrow line between organized crime and the police that can happen in that line of work ..

These days i have no plans for the future as this drunk was unable to meet his own self inflated ego of expectations and did'nt i just hate myself for not being good enough. Now i'm a sucess if i go to bed sober and wake up without a hangover .

Bestwishes, M
Old 09-01-2012, 02:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

You still have to live life and have fun...

I personally do a lot of active night things with AA's here. We always have something going on . And I am sure they do down there also..

Its learning how to live without drinking , and while doing so learning to just live as a human being..

Old 09-01-2012, 03:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I love to read, work, teach myself something but it takes time to study. I love the nature walks, exercise, beach, etc. But most of all I am a social fiend! I love interacting with others as I need the interaction to feel content with myself.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Fall is approaching. Pumpkin patches and corn mazes and stuff. And haunted houses, if you're into that.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

One word - sleep
Old 09-01-2012, 04:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
One Foot in Front of the Other

I'm learning how to ride motorcycles. Secured my permit in April and purchased two bikes in May. While drinking, I never had the guts to take them out much because the alcohol killed my confidence and my motor skills. Self-preservation, I guess, but I knew if I kept drinking I would never get to enjoy the bikes, I'd end up killing myself on them.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I do the same things I used to do when drinking, but now I do them sober... and better!
Old 09-01-2012, 04:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I watch reruns of "Everybody Loves Raymond":P
Old 09-01-2012, 10:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nonblondechef View Post
One word - sleep
I will sleep when I die!... lol my motto/former motto. I am trying to sleep more, but I work better at night so its easier to stay up than wake up. I am getting about five hours, trying to go for 7 max; working out helps me sleep but I had injuries that needed recuperating, and one reoccurring I have to work around.

@ WTH Motorcycles, I used to want to ride them, but not anymore. Every now and then I think about them but will see.

@choublack, I never gave those a try, why the hell not start now... I have to get my mind off Oktoberfest
Old 09-01-2012, 11:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

My husband and I triked out our Road King
and have taken a few memorable trips so
far. In fact we just returned from Sturgis
recently where I went to the Central office
to get my 22 yrs. AA chip. Now that will
definitely be a sobriety anniversary that I
will remember for yrs to come.

I remember the nights out and driving
under the enfluence of alcohol, enjoying
the nite life, clubs, music, lights, dancing,
men, living on the edge, infedelity and
keeping the secret to not hurt another,
remorse, dishonesty, a horrble accident,
then attempted to end my misery.

That was 22 yrs ago and when I began
living in my recovery, I began to appreciate
the gifts in life I didnt loose. I also appreciate
my bed more than I ever knew I could. Yep,
my bed.

My safe, comfortable, cozy bed. To lay my
head down on my soft pillow and to know
im not running the roads or being in an
alcohol numbness. To know I dont have to
lie, cheat, sneak around anymore.

To know that after 22 yrs sober, the night
life with alcohol hasnt changed and that it
is still alive and kicking big time.

Today, at 50 ish, im retired and living a
happy, comfortable stable life in recovery,
enjoying my new marriage after a 25 yr.
marriage ended. I enjoy my backyard with
my spouse as we watch many little hummingbirds
that have come our way since Hurricane Isaac
passed thru our state.

There is soooooo much available in life to enjoy
without having poison to destroy it. Each day sober
is a gift to be treasured and the world around you
to admire.

Enjoy it because its yours for the taking.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

i think this really depends on what type of person you are..whether you are a social extrovert type or introverted type..if you are introverted, then going out to bars and clubs is not going to be fun unless you are drinking/drugging, at least it isnt for me..after a half hour there sober im usually wondering 'umm, how is this fun?'..then again im not a social butterfly..so, i find myself reading much more, watching tv shows, wakling dogs, sports but do i feel the boredom occasionally..YES, no doubt about it..i guess thats just the way things are meant to be, no perfect way to live..

like its friday night, my sober self is tired from working today and instead of getting amped up to go drinking or drugging im basically sitting here watching tv..urrggh, its ok i guess..