Notices

Odules?

Old 08-31-2012, 05:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Odules?

what is someones thoughts on non alcoholic beer? i was at my fave restaurant tonight where the waitress assumed I would have my usual beer I told her No actually I am not drinking anymore and I told her today my day48!!! blablah blah and she said you should have a non alcoholic beer which I had never thought of but I did a google and see they can be a issue with abstaining alcoholics????? Any advice or thoughts??? Thank You!!!
Old 08-31-2012, 05:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

LOL... Yep, we've beat that horse beyond recognition... That's OK, we like to hear ourselves talk, LOL... There has been talk about this topic being a "sticky".

Do a forum search on non alcoholic beer, then get yourself a cup of coffee and you'll have plenty to keep you busy.

My answer is ... If you have to ask, the answer is NO!!
Old 08-31-2012, 05:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think it would just be a big tease!
Old 08-31-2012, 05:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Interesting, I have thought about trying the same thing. I really do enjoy the flavoring, but I like the amber, stouts, IPAs etc. I like them full bodied, I think O'dules maybe closer related to budlight, bud, coors, stuff I didn't like. Sorry, I can still answer this question in present tense, its only been less than a week. I wonder if there are full bodied non-alcoholic beers?
Old 08-31-2012, 05:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

My experience is I don't drink NA beer because it looked like beer, felt like a can of beer, it smelt like beer, it had that same condensation thing on the can like a beer, the same fizz and foam when you pop the can, tasted like beer (kinda)....

Then I'd wonder why I'd go out everytime and get 'real' beer.

I was still knee deep in old behaviours, and didn't even realise it.

As a former beer drinker I know it ticks all the boxes for me, and opens the door to old behaviour and old thought patTerns.

I don't recommend it.

I don't need to know but maybe ask yourself why would you choose NA beer when there's so many other things to drink?

Is it really the taste of a beer you want, or are there other things happening here as well?

D
Old 09-01-2012, 02:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Gratefully Sober

Back in early August sometime,I bought some O'Douls and drank nearly the whole six pack in one night..tasted like beer,looked like beer,and I was acting the exact same way as when I drank the full stuff.minus the drunkeness.I was recapturing the experience of drinking .

the next morning,with no thought,I went to the store and bought a six pack of real beer,and cigarettes,followed by a trip to the liquor store.. I have not stopped drinking since.. I drink every day..

I had 9 years sober when I did this...

Please,everyone who is considering near beer... DONT do it..
you may possible get away with it for a short while but sooner or later it will take you back to drinking full strength beer or liquor..

sit with yourself and honestly figure out what is going on that you want to drink this stuff. because I can tell you its playing with fire..

it is 5 am here.. I woke up after a few hours of sleep. I am considering drinking myself back to sleep.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for sharing that B. You will help others reading this.

not to hijack the thread...

but why not do something different today?
Call someone? hit a meeting?

You deserve better than this.

D
Old 09-01-2012, 02:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

I just as a alcoholic say WHY bother ?

Pass me the juice please it tastes better and doesnt take me down any memory lanes. Good and bad..

I know where drinking took me , and so no thanks....

@sobern2003 thank you for the reality check. Because I am only that one sip away from the hell I lived for decades.. I am sorry that you back out ther requailfing and my prayers and thougths are sent your way.. And we keep a seat warm for you in the rooms in AA if you choose to come in the doors...
Old 09-01-2012, 02:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

sobern2003, very sad to hear that.
I have drank some n\a beers (at home) after (about) 6 months of sobriety. Sometimes I couldn't finish just one, dumped it out and went back to tea, on another night I'd feel the compulsion hit me like a tank and I'd really have to work hard and get my mind back on track.
It is not worth the risk for us alcoholics. I will not drink it anymore and advise others not to drink it nor romanticize it, at all.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

soburn2003, thanks for sharing bro; we got to get you on this sober wagon with us, make the leap will pull u in and struggle together. We done it b4, we can do it once more.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

( hey sobern2003 would be good to see you win back those 9 years and start building on them, i'm just early days compaired to the time you've had... just well ... hmm you know.. ).

I'd certainly be worried that it would go N.A.drink, L.A.drink and then all the way drink . For me it would sound like my crazy old alkie brain trying to do one over on me, i'd dismiss the thought as that and order a fizzy water with a slice of lemon knowing it will cleanse my taste buds better to taste the food and be more refreshing .

Only you will know he truth here i suppose, like me and rum and rasin ice cream .

Bestwishes, M
Old 09-01-2012, 03:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

soburn2003...
Man, what you do is your business but there really is a da** cool life on the other side.

I had about 10 years sober...the last couple of years of that, I started smoking weed....that turned into drinking beer again, and I lost almost everything....kept drinking for 5-6 years.

I've been sober since August 8th and I feel better, with a more positive outlook, than I have in many years.

Come join us man. The view is great from here.

All the best.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

thanks for thoughts i did do more research ( it does actually contain .5% alcohol) and by the taste at restaurant can tell it would be a tease for me so the carbo H2O with lemon sounded good for me... and the rum and raisin icecream..lol... you can be sure I will go get some today now that it has registered in my 49 day sober pea brain..... Thank you sobern 2003 for your advice and honesty I just left that life 49 days ago and don't miss it...thanks for not beating around the bush and for putting the fear of God back in me....
Old 09-01-2012, 06:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Gratefully Sober

Originally Posted by vegan View Post
thanks for thoughts i did do more research ( it does actually contain .5% alcohol) and by the taste at restaurant can tell it would be a tease for me so the carbo H2O with lemon sounded good for me... and the rum and raisin icecream..lol... you can be sure I will go get some today now that it has registered in my 49 day sober pea brain..... Thank you sobern 2003 for your advice and honesty I just left that life 49 days ago and don't miss it...thanks for not beating around the bush and for putting the fear of God back in me....
You are welcome!!! Im so happy to see that you decided not to go back down that road...
Old 09-01-2012, 06:39 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Gratefully Sober

Hi everyone..
First I wanna point out that Im a girl! LOL some have called me bro and all,and its impossible to tell by my name or avitar.. name's Becky.

right now Im just not ready to stop drinking again... I wont go into reasons why. I do appreicate the concern shown to me,and if I ever get real bad again and it hurts too much to keep drinking I will be back here posting as a newcomer again in a heartbeat.. keep me in your prayers.. I pray that every person on here striving for sobriety makes it... I lurk from time to time and will continue to do so....
Old 09-01-2012, 07:08 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I never looked it up or read about alcoholics drinking non alcoholic beer etc. the thought of non alcoholic beer crossed my mind but me personally??? well I know me and I know I will get the taste and wont be satisfied without the buzz so I know I will not be able to take the non alcohol beer because of just who I am. I am a 2-3 x's a week binge drinker beer without alcohol in it aint gonna fly with me so I am drinking green tea right now instead
Old 09-01-2012, 07:36 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Beer was never my drink so I'll share my parallel story. I only drank orange juice when it had tequila in it. I love that combination man...love it.

now. I stay away from orange juice because drinking it makes me want the tequila. Can't help it, it's made a firm association in my mind.

It's easier for me to just not drink orange juice than to go through the emotional and mental gauntlet that comes up when I do.

I have learned that there really are some slippery slopes for me. But each of us is different.

My son was married a couple weeks ago, during the ceremony, the parents take a sip of wine...wine was never my issue, and it didn't make me want to drink. But that might have been a HUGE issue for another recovering alcoholic.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:02 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

The best reason to skip it...

The taste. I drank only fresh Caliifornia and Oregon microbrew and ODs or St Pauli Girl NA or Becks NA just dont even come close. I actually found it quite bad..... but I tried it while I was still drinking. I have no desire for it now.

I agree completely with Dee that with the association that happens in our alcoholic brains it is not healthy for someone in recovery to try this. Everything is the same except the alc % and going through the motions of drinking can/will lead to heading back down the dark road. I like it in the sunshine!

Congratulations on 48 days!
Old 09-01-2012, 09:15 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I've heard enough stories from ppl like Becky to know what's more than likely going to happen if I mess with Odouls. Thanks for sharing your EXPERIENCE B. So many times we hear, "I don't think......." this or that. Nice to get some actual "this is what happened" experience. .....it's a lot more credible.

re NA beer period: Leave it to an alcoholic to come to the absolute conclusion that sticking one's hand in a fire is really dumb and really bad...........then...........with the next thought............want to see just how close they can get their hand to that same fire. I get it......I know that's part of my nature - to want to flirt with danger. When it comes to drinking though, that's REALLY REEEEEEEEEEEEEALLY a fight I don't want to get into again.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:19 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sobern2003 View Post
Hi everyone..
First I wanna point out that Im a girl! LOL some have called me bro and all,and its impossible to tell by my name or avitar.. name's Becky.
:rotfxko Opps