Notices

Finally decided to start a sober lifestyle

Old 08-31-2012, 05:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finally decided to start a sober lifestyle

After enough times of letting down my family, and causing serious blood pressure problems I decided to take alcohol out of my life. I was not exactly a heavy drinker as far as frequency, however when I would try and just have one out to dinner or at a friends house it would just trigger something and I had to always make a detour to a liquor store on the way home.

Not really sure if this is an instance where I should seek help for or not, or is me knowing that I have to steer clear enough????

Looking forward to any advice.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome,

If drinking is causing a problem in your life, then stopping drinking seems like a great idea.
There is lots of support here.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good luck and good for you!! The people on this site are awesome. Welcome!
Old 08-31-2012, 05:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It was definitely a problem where when I tried to have one I would end up going til blackout on the couch. I just never looked at it as issue because I don't really ever have a want to drink. So the occasions I tried to have a drink it got ugly.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome jm102602

Some can just make the decision and not need support...others do. Personally I'm not sure I would have gotten through without the support I found here.

Alcohol can be very pervasive in our society...and nobody wants to be different. We all want to be normal...and that lie of 'just one beer' can be pretty darn tempting in the early days.

Sometimes all that can leave you feeling very vulnerable.

I don't think it hurts to have something to lean on, whether it's us here, AA or some other recovery group, some form of counselling, or a mixture

D
Old 08-31-2012, 05:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
welcome jm102602

Some can just make the decision and not need support...others do. Personally I'm not sure I would have gotten through without the support I found here.

Alcohol can be very pervasive in our society...and nobody wants to be different. We all want to be normal...and that lie of 'just one beer' can be pretty darn tempting in the early days.

Sometimes all that can leave you feeling very vulnerable.

I don't think it hurts to have something to lean on, whether it's us here, AA or some other recovery group, some form of counselling, or a mixture

D
Thanks for support I made the choice on the 28th so today is day 4 of staying away.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome jm!

I drank occasionally for a long time and never thought I'd develop a problem with it. Looking back, though, I can see that I always overdid it when I did drink. One led to two, which led to 10. I was never able to stick to my good intentions to have a couple and call it a night. Eventually, I found myself wanting to drink more and more often and it went downhill from there.

It's good that you're looking at making changes. Congrats on your 4 days!
Old 08-31-2012, 07:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! I quit drinking almost three years ago and now I like my life again. I no longer wake up deep in despair and regret and hating myself. I sleep well and look better. I only wish I'd quit sooner.