Notices

Sweet tooth after quitting

Old 09-01-2012, 03:20 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stairs View Post
Great responses!

Yeah I think I'll indulge my sugar habit for awhile. I am on day 12 now and have some energy, housework and going to the store, cooking....but not enough yet to feel motivated to start the walks and yoga I want to start doing.

I get these big plastic bins of assorted cookies at the grocery store bakery. Chocolate chip, mini m&m, peanut butter, sugar, and oatmeal raisin. Yum.

Today I got an apple danish ring. Man I love that white drizzly icing!

Hmm better go brush my teeth. LOL.

I'm gonna look into sweets alternatives too, see what I come up with. Stuff without refined sugar.

Thanks to all.
Next you'll be at OA and WW ...

I could bite the head off a chocolate bunny in one bite...... ears and all !!

All the best.

Bob R
Old 09-01-2012, 05:19 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

its nice to read something humorous! I am chuckling as I read them!
Old 02-20-2017, 05:33 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Tlwaltz

I took my last drink on Sept 30th, 2016
Stopping wasn't as hard as I thought. I live several miles from a store, I'm 90% shut in, from physical disabilities. I hate having to fix my hair and make up, dress and drive to town. I always had to plan to buy a lot when I did go so I didn't have to go out again for awhile.
I didn't eat a lot, and usually wrong. I wanted quick and easy. I seldom ate sweets. But I was slowly gaining weight. After I stopped drinking my trips to town to shop are more sweets based.
I do buy, grapes, halos, bananas and some veggies and meats. But way too much candy, cookies, pie and donuts. I can eat a bag of milky way minis, York, a box of Oreo thins, etc in a night. Sometimes that is dinner. Skittles are in a can on my nightstand always.
I have gained 20 lbs in 4 months.
I can't do this! How do I stop?
Old 02-20-2017, 05:42 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
All is Change

Replace the snacks with nuts. Get a microwave rice cooker and some plain popping corn. Just put a handful of corn in the cooker for a minute or two don't add anything. Keep a little bag of nuts in pocket.

When you feel the urge to stuff things in the mouth. First get up and do something. For example I have a few tasks that need doing. I don't set out to finish them but a little bit now and then gets them done and during that time I haven't worried about eating anything.

Set aside regular meal times and stick to them. Include fresh vegies and good protein.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:56 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

14 months sober and my sweet tooth is still in high gear! I've lost weight and eat lots and lots of sweets. I don't plan on quitting any time soon. The girl at Dairy Queen recognizes my voice at the drive through, without even seeing me - that's pretty bad. Sigh. But ... I'd rather she know me than the gal at the liquor store.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:01 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Once again I read some of these posts and have to look to see if I wrote them. I was too skinny, always these past 30 years. Now, definitely filling out. I eat boxes of dry cereal and where I used to crave salt it's always sweet now. Definitely aware that my blood sugar could go off, wasn't really thinking about that until I read some of the posts here and thought about other peoples levels.......haha, easier to worry about you all! Time to stop having these treats in my house. Except I have some ice cream I bought at the farm, can't let that go to waste.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:11 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Raisins and semi-sweet chocolate chips are my new best friends. Also blueberries. And peanuts (which go well with raisins and chocolate chips).
Old 02-20-2017, 07:12 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Like many others, I too developed a huge sweet tooth after quitting, especially the first few months. I put on a few pounds, but I was of the mindset that whatever I needed to do to stay sober, I did. It was truly horrible eating all of those cookies and ice cream every day.

You can lose a few pounds later.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:19 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mfsteve1 View Post
Take a doughnut and nuke it for a few seconds, put a scoop of ice cream in the hole, and cover liberally with maple syrup.

I call that my pre-breakfast snack.
I haven't laughed like I am right now in a long time!!! Thank you.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:23 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Yes, the sugar is something the alcoholic's body gets used to. Take your standard bottle of Jack Daniels. There is a ton of sugar in there.

On another note, I'm doing what doggonecarl is doing. The sweets really help, As long as it is short term and you don't have diabetes, go nuts with the chocolate for a month or two. After a few months, start to buy more healthful foods, like fruits, vegetables, whole grains, etc. At this point, you don't really need all the chocolate and it will end up causing you problems if you continue consuming it at the same levels for an extended period.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:25 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Haven't met anybody here yet that didn't develop a sweet tooth after quitting drinking. Some say it's replacing the sugar we use to get from alcohol. I just went with it because at least it was better than drinking. I even started my own secret stash so my family wouldn't dig in. I'm just over 4 months now and it is starting to ease, what helps are big glasses of soda water and fruit juice instead.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:49 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
All is Change

I've certainly been in the grip of the sweet bug and, sure, the lesser of evils...

There are a couple of things that helps me resist.

It's pretty common for addicts to neglect their teeth so when abstaining there comes an awareness of the state of ones teeth. An easy way out is to pull teeth. It's better in the long run to have them fixed as much as possible. I like chewing so I came to miss my missing chompers.

There are some archaeological digs in London where pre sugar skulls have full sets of teeth and after sugar entered the diet the teeth in the skulls, if there at all, are rotten.

If you must eat sugar at least brush and floss.

Further, as I reduce my sugar intake I find that my palate becomes more refined. My need to spice up or sweeten things is less. I enjoy foods that I used to consider bland. In fact I'm beginning to taste natural sweetnesses where before I tasted nothing. This is not an unusual experience.

Part of the difficulty in losing weight is getting rid of the belly and arm flab, love handles and man boobs.

These things are usually more of a problem with age but I think that if I had nurtured the habits I try to nurture now it would less so now.

A lot of the buzz underlying anxiety is from the sugar buzz. In other words sugar can contribute to busting.

All that's without starting on diabetes and other degenerative diseases.

Much of the veneration of sugar is another way to deny it's deleterious effects.