Notices

No alcohol or suger equal headaches?

Old 08-31-2012, 12:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

No alcohol or suger equal headaches?

Hi all, I'm on day eleven of no drinking, I started a no sugar or wheat diet about three weeks ago. I have never been one to get headaches, even with hangovers. For the past week I have had a pretty consistent nagging headache. Does anyone know if this is related to my body craving the sugar it's not getting through drink or food? Any idea when it might stop? Feel great otherwise.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I don't know, but I had terrible headaches the first few weeks after I quit. They passed.

Headaches have lots of causes. If you are concerned, you might see your doctor.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It might be a good idea to get checked out by your dr. You're making a lot of changes, so it could be many things causing the headache.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

yes, yes, yes !!! this is a common symptom, I myself had massive, killer headaches- it will pass in time
Old 08-31-2012, 02:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AlaskaGirl View Post
Hi all, I'm on day eleven of no drinking, I started a no sugar or wheat diet about three weeks ago. I have never been one to get headaches, even with hangovers. For the past week I have had a pretty consistent nagging headache. Does anyone know if this is related to my body craving the sugar it's not getting through drink or food? Any idea when it might stop? Feel great otherwise.
Seems like you are trying a low carb diet. Cutting sugar and wheat is good to cut the fat, just be sure to get at least three fruits a day to avoid health issues e.g. diabetes. Fruit has sugar, but it is natural and wont mess up your plans. Drink lots of water also, sometimes headaches are do to lack of water.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone!

Meso, I am doing a very low calorie diet (HCG). It includes two fruits a day, and I am taking vitamins. Kind of a full body overhaul, I am really trying to explore healthy lifestyle options for after I am done with it. I like a south beach approach, healthy fats and only natural sugars. I have high blood pressure, I want to see if I can treat it with diet and excersise now that I have put down the bottle.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

AG, I am certain you will be able to treat you high blood pressure with exercise and healthy life style change. But please do be wary of diets, if you break your diet because its to exclusive, it will feel psychology as bad as going back to booze. A good magazine I found to have good recipes and balanced diet is Clean Eating. They have good stuff
Old 08-31-2012, 03:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Also try to switch your mind from diet to life style change! People often fail at diets but not at a life style change. The lifestyle I am more naturally fall into is the "paleo diet". Although I alter it a bit because the bad stuff really is all the grains and refined sugars; which I already don't like much. So eating meat, legumes, nuts, seeds, fruits, and veggies is fine with me. I may allow oatmeal in the morning, or whole grain rice, quinoa, but if I am really cutting fat I stick with the above list.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Alaska

I've had headaches from quitting alcohol...and also from going cold turkey on sugar...but like others have said none of us here are doctors or in any way experts - best to see your Dr if you're concerned

D
Old 08-31-2012, 03:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am totally on board with the lifestyle change, diets aren't sustainable and when I go off them I gain all my weight back. My best friend just started eating paleo, she loves it. When she first told me about it I thought it would be too extream for me, but now that I am a little farther into this new way of eating I will check it out. Thanks again! I promise I will go to the doctor if things don't improve in a week or so with my headaches.