Notices

So far...so GREAT!

Old 08-31-2012, 08:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So far...so GREAT!

I'm only in my fifth day of sobriety. But, geez I feel good!
I had two meetings with my therapist who specializes in CBT and we've worked out a few strategies for the next few weeks. Just basics things....meditation, healthy diet and daily walks in the woods by my house with my dogs. I'm going to be seeing him twice a week and I have a reading list of 15 books to get through. I'm also starting SMART next week.

Yesterday, I had the most profound realization ever for me as related to my drinking. I can't drink, not EVER. It really sunk in. And even better.....I just don't want to! I'm really done! It was absolutely empowering. It has always been a choice....I just kept making excuses that somehow I needed to keep alcohol in my life. And why would I let one destructive little thing rule my thoughts and emotions ALL the time?*

I had a similar experience when I quite smoking. I just got so disgusted that those little demons had so much control over me, that I just quit. Cold turkey after a 30 year pack a day habit. And I never looked back....

I'm not stupid. I know things are going to come up that challenge my sobriety down the road. And I have a long road ahead.....but I really feel great!
Old 08-31-2012, 09:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Let go and Let God!

Wonderful to hear!! Keep doing what works!! Congrats on 5 days!!
Old 08-31-2012, 09:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I love that you're doing so much to enhance your sobriety...... it's like you're really investing in yourself and being the best you can be - awesome! Congratulations on day 5, MissLou!
Old 08-31-2012, 09:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by MissLou View Post
Yesterday, I had the most profound realization ever for me as related to my drinking. I can't drink, not EVER. It really sunk in.
You got that on day number 5? Well good for you!

I got it around day 90, and it was pivotal for me. Like a giant weight coming off of me because in the back of my mind I think I was entertaining the thought..."Well, maybe one day I can drink."

No! Never!
Old 08-31-2012, 09:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
You got that on day number 5? Well good for you!

I got it around day 90, and it was pivotal for me. Like a giant weight coming off of me because in the back of my mind I think I was entertaining the thought..."Well, maybe one day I can drink."

No! Never!
Well, I was surprised...lol
I've had 6 months before and never "got" it. I have really decreased my drinking over the years. But I was starting to see I was losing control again and I wasn't going back....
But now I know I simply don't want to waste one more minute letting drinking run my life
Old 08-31-2012, 09:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

So happy for you MissLou!! What a positive, uplifting message. Congrats on day 5!
Old 08-31-2012, 09:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm seriously feeling this incredible sense of relief and happiness. Because instead of saying "I'm not going to drink today" I *know* I don't have to drink ever again.

By making this very simple ( but yet incredibly difficult to comprehend ) decision, I have solved the problem for myself, forever. I just have to do the work, everyday. When I was sober before I just didn't get it. I was so busy missing the point and feeling deprived that I was making it one thousand times more difficult!
Old 08-31-2012, 02:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great going MissLou!

D
Old 09-05-2012, 12:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Originally Posted by MissLou View Post
I'm seriously feeling this incredible sense of relief and happiness. Because instead of saying "I'm not going to drink today" I *know* I don't have to drink ever again. By making this very simple ( but yet incredibly difficult to comprehend ) decision, I have solved the problem for myself, forever.
That is wonderful, MissLou, I remember that feeling so very well, one of the best moments in my life, second only to the birth of my children, I think. The idea that all that crap, the dread, shame, guilt, was all behind me was euphoric. I offer you my most sincere congratulations on this most profound achievement.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Awesome

Keep smiling because sobriety looks good on you..
Old 09-05-2012, 12:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good to know of your progress....
Old 09-05-2012, 12:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good for you!!
Also, I have found CBT to be very helpful as well! I love it!
Old 09-05-2012, 01:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Nice