Notices

8 months today

Old 08-31-2012, 07:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

8 months today

And I'm sooooo glad to be sober.

I volunteered at a film society event last night. The ticket included free drinks. My job was to make sure people didn't leave the beer garden with a drink in their hand. Ironic huh?

Anyway, all the drinking didn't really bother me. It was the people who began to bug me, but by then it was 9:30 and I was ready to go. It was at an old amusement park and that part was really fun. I'm so glad I volunteered. Not all their events are booze filled so I'll be volunteering again.

Where I'm at: I feel like I've come a looooong way. My personal and social life is wonderful. I'm so happy with it. My work life SUCKS.

I'm agonizing over whether I should stay at my job and try to make it work, or whether I should go. I'm not sure whether me leaving my job is the equivalent of me running (which is something I would have done when drinking).

I acknowledge some of the things I've been criticized over. But other issues I completely disagree with, feel I'm being singled out. The other part of me thinks this is an issue of survival, and I want to maintain my already good career path.

So I don't want to stick around and have my career, and day to day life at work get worse, and I don't want to up and quit. hmph.

Anyway, I'm sober and that's amazing. Life is great on this side. I don't know what I was doing on the other side, why I rationalized it so much, why I struggled with just putting down the drink! I held onto it for dear life, couldn't imagine life without it. Now, that seems like a ridiculous notion.

Thanks SR and all you guys out there supporting me. I love you all.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

WAYTO GO LOST!! 8 Months congratulations. Like to read about folks who have struggled but are getting through!

Jim
Old 08-31-2012, 08:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
One Foot in Front of the Other

Lost3000, your story is AMAZING and you give me much hope...thanks for that!
Old 08-31-2012, 08:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on 8 months Lost - Today's day and age, you should have a job to go to before you leave the present one. Thing to keep in mind, doesnt' matter which job you're at, including self employed, there are going to be people you like and people you don't. Things you like to do and things you don't.

You can try to change the people and things that you don't like ... somethings successfully but most times it just ends in more frustration. The way I found works is to change how I look at the people and things I don't like. When I can accept that these things have been put in my way as learning experiences I start to feel less frustration. Course, sometimes it takes a while to learn my lesson.

Everything is generally a matter of perspective
Old 08-31-2012, 08:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by FredG View Post
...you should have a job to go to before you leave the present one. Thing to keep in mind, doesnt' matter which job you're at, including self employed, there are going to be people you like and people you don't. Things you like to do and things you don't.
I completely agree. And no way would I even fathom going until the next job is in place. I'm not talking about walking out or anything nuts like that. I feel this is more than people I like, people I don't. Or things. I am miserable! I don't want to come in, often come to tears thinking/talking about it. And then the strategy of getting out before things come to where they let me go, you know?

Originally Posted by FredG View Post
You can try to change the people and things that you don't like ... somethings successfully but most times it just ends in more frustration. The way I found works is to change how I look at the people and things I don't like. When I can accept that these things have been put in my way as learning experiences I start to feel less frustration. Course, sometimes it takes a while to learn my lesson.

Everything is generally a matter of perspective
And yeah, I know I can't change them, just me. But... with that said, if they keep coming at me (so to speak), then I need to survive, and do what's right with me. The stress I'm going thru is wearing on me, and that's not good however we look at it. I'll think about what you said, really.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

AA worked so well it got me to retirement... now I just have to put up with myself.

All the best.

Bob R

(The boss worked me and worked me.... never let up on me... kept kicking my a$$ to get more done... screaming, yelling, . Was totally unforgiving and always looking for me to make a mistake.. then pounce on me.
I had no relief... nowhere to run.... I was trapped by a madman.

"Why didn't you leave" asked a buddy...

"I couldn't" I said "I was self employed" .......
Old 08-31-2012, 08:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

Congrats!!!!! 8 months is HUGE! I am 3 months today. It's already quite a journey! SO happy for you!
Old 08-31-2012, 08:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Nice Live2Run, you rock!!!!
Old 08-31-2012, 08:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

You are funny Bob.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats LOST 8 months is amazing!!!
I have read some of your posting... and I admire your courage. Good job on staying sober!
Old 08-31-2012, 09:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That's brilliant, well done xx
Old 08-31-2012, 09:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I held onto it for dear life, couldn't imagine life without it. Now, that seems like a ridiculous notion.
Amazing, isn't it? I'm so glad you're doing well! I'm sure you'll figure out what to do about your job. Trust that there's something better out there for you and work towards that, just like you would being sober - one day at a time.

Big congrats on your 8 months!!
Old 08-31-2012, 09:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by artsoul View Post
Amazing, isn't it? I'm so glad you're doing well! I'm sure you'll figure out what to do about your job. Trust that there's something better out there for you and work towards that, just like you would being sober - one day at a time.

Big congrats on your 8 months!!
Great advice as always. Thanks so much for your support and kind words.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:50 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Awesome stuff Lost

It is soooo rewarding to follow someone's journey from the beginning and read this
Old 08-31-2012, 09:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post
AA worked so well it got me to retirement... now I just have to put up with myself.

All the best.

Bob R

(The boss worked me and worked me.... never let up on me... kept kicking my a$$ to get more done... screaming, yelling, . Was totally unforgiving and always looking for me to make a mistake.. then pounce on me.
I had no relief... nowhere to run.... I was trapped by a madman.

"Why didn't you leave" asked a buddy...

"I couldn't" I said "I was self employed" .......
Love it bob, haha.

Congrats Lost. You've come a long long way.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:25 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congrats Lost!!! Sounds to me like you're finding your way.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:35 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Thanks everyone! I'm so happy with my personal/social life. I gotta work on this employment thing though...
Old 08-31-2012, 02:17 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations lost
Hope you work out your job stuff - one way or the other
D
Old 08-31-2012, 02:18 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Thanks Dee! One way or another it'll work out!!
Old 08-31-2012, 05:37 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Lost is Found!

Wow, Lost, Congratulations!
And thank you for inspiring me to keep on goin!