Notices

"30 Days and Under"... Come & encourage them!

Old 08-30-2012, 04:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs up "30 Days and Under"... Come & encourage them!

Lately I have been wondering how else I can encourage people who keep struggling over & over with getting through the first few weeks of sobriety. It is so hard. And I know it was only round the clock SR, (and a miracle), that got me through that time....

Even though there are the fantastic monthly threads, I thought some people might want to also post on a "30 days and Under Thread". Those members who are further along could pop in and offer their encouragement. Just an idea....?

I know there are other similar threads. Guess I just thought I'd throw this out there too.

Anyway, to all under 30 days, you CAN do this!!
Old 08-30-2012, 04:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
One Foot in Front of the Other

I'm one of the 30 days and under crowd. Great idea for a thread, EternalQ! Thanks!
Old 08-30-2012, 04:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm in the 30 days and under category...
And I know SR has helped sooo much.
Great thread!
Old 08-30-2012, 04:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations Butterfly! I thought I couldnt get through one day, then thought i couldnt get through two days.. And so on. All i thought about was NOT.drinking! But it gets waaaay better! Keep it up!
Old 08-30-2012, 04:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Way to go, want to heal! Wanting it with all you have is half the battle! Don't stop!
Old 08-30-2012, 05:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Thank you! It's good to know there is some kind of relief in sight.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Tam, I know its hard, but take the word of all these people on this site who got through the first month and are soooo happy they did. The first month is sooo hard, but each week gets easier.. I think I took it hour by hour some days and minute by minute sometimes. But you will be so happy to be not orienting your life around alcohol! Stick with it and see for yourself!
Old 08-30-2012, 07:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

We had a 30 days and under thread for years but the monthly threads kinda took over

I'm for whatever helps - but I'd encourage people to look at the current August thread too

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-2-a-17.html

D
Old 08-31-2012, 05:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

31 days today woo hoo. What do I do with this red coin, can I use it in vending machines or something :p
Old 08-31-2012, 09:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats Gincogito! Go you! 31 days is awesome.

Great idea EternalQ and thanks Dee for the warm reminder that peeps can hop on their monthly thread.

Just want to send GOOD SOBER YOU CAN DO IT vibes to everyone here. You've come to a good place, with good people, who have been where you are, wherever that is, and can lend a hand of support.

I'm still going strong with my March 2011 thread and totally recommend it. Also a big fan of the Kicking Asphalt exercise thread, the morning and evening Gratitude thread, and the WHINERS thread, which is down in the Cafe section. Look around, say hello, pull up a chair, make yourself a home-within-a-home at SR.

I remember that it took pretty much all of my energy to get to bed sober each night. I learned, listened, tried, applied, and put my Recovery tools to work. Wasn't easy, but I didn't drink, didn't give in to the desire, kept playing the tape to the end, kept sober.

Chime in with what's GREAT today and anything you need help with.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

God bless all you 30 day and under-ers. I have 4 years sobriety thanks to AA and I must say that I am more impressed with an individual who has a few weeks under their belt than I am with a long timer. Early sobriety is tough. Props to you all who are getting through it. Keep it up!
Old 08-31-2012, 10:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Day 11 here! Thanks for your thread and encouragement!
Old 08-31-2012, 11:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

So happy to hear from all you brave souls!

How are you planning to handle the holiday weekend if you are in the US? Stay close to SR!

I am glad others are encouraging the 30 and under and I just want to make clear that: "YOU ALL ENCOURAGE US TOO!"

To see you push off from the shore without sight of the new land, moves me to no end.

Those of us who see the new shore will wave you in!

Thank you all for inspiring me and reminding me what true courage is.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EternalQ View Post
How are you planning to handle the holiday weekend if you are in the US? Stay close to SR!
I hear ya, EternalQ! I have a reasonably structured, busy, productive weekend planned for myself - no room for drinking - but as I was drinking morning, noon, and night, I've also been trying to check in with SR morning, noon, and night. Gives me something healthy to do, idle hands being the devil's plaything and all.

I have my first outpatient treatment session tonight...not sure if we're taking Labor Day off or not, but if we are in fact on for Monday, that would give me two sessions over the long weekend.

Thanks again for this thread and the words of encouragement!
Old 08-31-2012, 12:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Nice thread.....Day 13 nearly over for me.....
Old 08-31-2012, 12:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Day 1 again for me, well 9 hours, I had drink this morning, but got meds from Doc so thats keeping me dry.
I promised my wife and mum I would take no more, its been tough day.
Why we do this to oursevles I really dont know
Old 08-31-2012, 12:28 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Sorry, Seanie, but I think the good news is that any of us can get off the ride when we decide it's time for a change. It never hurts to try again, brother!
Old 08-31-2012, 12:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Day 1 for me again also. Thanks for the encouragement Eternal & to the others who have posted positive messages to help keep our heads up.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:48 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by EternalQ View Post
Those members who are further along could pop in and offer their encouragement. Just an idea....?
It's been a while since I've had 30 days. Sometimes I forget what it was like. Then I rememember a blog I posted after a month sober:
------------------------------

I have been too busy of late to record a milestone of sorts. Thirty days sober. Almost a day sober for every year I drank. I am truly amazed because I never, never thought I’d quit. But that’s a topic for another day.

Going through old posts in SR, it is not uncommon to read about folks who relapse near or on milestones of sobriety. Wonder why. I struggled mightily with staying sober those few days before I reached one month. Thought about drinking constantly; worried that I’d convince myself that 30 days meant I had licked my problem and could drink. Perhaps it was just the urge to celebrate and I always celebrated with alcohol.

Made it through that rough patch and on this past Saturday, day 30, I was…not sure how to describe it. Serene? Calm? The thoughts of drinking were quelled and I just went about my daily business. It was wonderful. For the first time in weeks I wasn’t tallying up my sober score. Maybe the problem with recovery milestones is the actual countdown (or in the recovering alcoholic’s case, count up): x number of days sober, a month sober, 2 months, 6 months. Yes, every day I’m sober is important, and I can’t help but notice how they are adding up. But it may be putting undo pressure on my recovery. Because the flip side of the sober count is the relapse…how many posts read, “I had ___ days/weeks/months/years then I slipped.” Then we are back to counting, except this time we are back to counting the days of non-sobriety.

Numbers are big to many recovering alcoholics. We know how long we drank, how much we drank, how much we spent on drinking, how many people we offended. We know when we stopped drinking, how long we’ve quit, and what number step we’re on.

Maybe numbers give us order where before all we had in our lives was disorder. Something to ponder…

------------------------------------

I made it 22 more months! You can do it. Keep the faith. Don't talk yourself out of quitting. Don't cave into the despair that sometimes accompanies early recovery. And if you slip, get back up and trudge onward...to sobriety.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:54 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Great post doggonecarl...I get squirrelly around 90 days and six months, for some reason.