Notices

"30 Days and Under"... Come & encourage them!

Old 08-31-2012, 01:06 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by WantToHeal View Post
Great post doggonecarl...I get squirrelly around 90 days and six months, for some reason.
Many of us do. Three months sober, six months sober...that's uncharted territory for a lot of us. I went from legally able to buy alcohol at age 18 to age 54, drinking the whole time. So yeah, I felt pretty weird at 90 days. Weirder at 180 days. You know why? Because I was happy. And sober. Something I wasn't used to.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:24 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Me too, 2 days in.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:44 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Everybody under 30 days? You are FANTASTIC. Early on sometime around 30 days in an AA meeting, an oldtimer, 20 years or so, said something to the point, "This ain't no class your gonna graduate from, it's a life style change. That statement and many others in AA meetings and here at SR has helped keep me sober 2 years, 1 month, and 2 days so far. And please believe me, if I can do it, anybody can.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:41 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thank you to those (who are sober for awhile) who are popping in this thread to offer encouragement to the others. This is just what I was hoping for!

When I was starting in Feb 2012 thread occasionally someone who had become sober in an earlier month would pop in to say: "You can do it!"

I don't know why, but that reeeeeally helped me hang in there. I guess I figured if they cared enough about sobriety to pop in on us, then sobriety must be pretty wonderful!

And you know something?
It is!!
Old 08-31-2012, 11:18 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Day 14 just starting here...
Old 09-01-2012, 03:34 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey newbys and returners with sobriety of 1s and over nice to see you choose life and dealing with all that it entails, over that dark slow death and hiding that alcohol was for me.

It is now 11:30 BST so you may have made half a day or another half day sober in one part of the world .. woo hoo !
I've only got 3 and a bit hours to go and i'll be sober to see another day (2nd of sept) in sydney on a webcam .. then see it march towards me and beyond via Tokyo, Hong Kong , Moscow , Paris , London YAY , New York (hello time square) , Chicago , San Dieago , Honolulu to wave bye-bye to the 1st ...

Bestwishes, M
Old 09-01-2012, 05:41 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Mecanix, that was a lovely post. So, just to clarify, are you turning one year sober in September?

Stevie, Congratulations on two weeks! By two weeks I was thinking: " Wow, who IS this woman?"

But I was also thinking, "How will I do this forever?"

I got through THAT by saying: "Just do it today... If you want to drink, you can decide for sure tomorrow..." (Of course if I say that each day, tomorrow never comes..So it always works!)

What I didnt realize, was, now, the large majority of my days, I WANT to do this sobriety thing forever!.... Cause it feels that GOOD!
Old 09-01-2012, 05:48 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I'm in this club too. Day 14 for me. I've been here before, but this time is for good. I'm not going back into that dark place ever again.

I'd like to thank you all for your encouragement, kind words and ongoing support. It means the world to me.

Big hugs

Gxx
Old 09-01-2012, 05:52 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Welcome back to the light, Grace!
Old 09-01-2012, 06:10 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Mecanix, that was a lovely post. So, just to clarify, are you turning one year sober in September?
Hmm one day at a time eh ? not there yet .. and seeing as it's a leap year does it make it 365 days or 366 ? (doh! just my luck to give up in a leapyear LOL ) It will feel nice to have it in the rearview mirror. My last trip into hoplessness was 3:30 am BST 3rd sept 2011. I found acceptance and gave up fighting at about 8 am that morning and have never craved it again athough have had some moments where i'd like to be like others and enjoy it , but i know for me this just is never going to be true .

This is a sober life now though and it's relishing that, thats important. My days, his days, her days, your days, we are all in this together living in the moment learning and growing. Drinking for me was such a soul destroying thing that i love to see and encourage others who find it a problem to embrase the change .

Bestwishes, M
Old 09-01-2012, 06:20 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Wow, Mec, that is very inspiring. Truly. And soul ~ destroying surely sums it up.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:27 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I'm starting my 26th day with NO DRINKING!

It's getting better. The urges are going away, the headaches are much fewer and less intense. I had one "brain fog" day on Tuesday of this week, but other than that, I've been feeling a little bit more energetic and purposeful every day. I'm sleeping pretty good. The irritability is sudsiding too.

I wish I could say that now my life is all perfect and wonderful and I don't get depressed or stressed or fearful or angry ... but that's not true. What is true is that when I feel those things and the temptation to drink hits me, I weigh it against all those days of sobriety and what I plan to accomplish in the future, and I can work around it. It's also easier because the physiological part of the temptation isn't quite as strong. I don't spend my whole day just *waiting* for that opportunity to drink at the end of it.

Another thing: I am starting to embrace the idea of never ever drinking another alcoholic beverage again in my whole life. The way I figure it, I've have enough alcohol to last most people through at least 2 or 3 lifetimes. I've exceeded my allotment, LOL, so it's time to say good bye to that form of indulgence. This makes a lot more sense to me now than it did in the middle of the intense temptation and "need" to drink ...

I wanted to do this *on my own* by willpower and making the DECISION, with no 12 steps and no intervention and no hitting bottom and no therapy. I realize that this kind of thing doesn't work for everyone, so I am not making a commercial, but I am a very stubborn, independent sort of person and calling on my own inner strength is the best way for me. I needed to feel better about ME and this was/is the way to do it. I know I am far from being safe from the urge to drink and I will probably never be safe from that urge, but I think I am through the very worst of it now and that makes me happy!

Wow .... 17 years of nasty binge drinking stops here. Imagine that.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:43 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Do whatever works for you miyako,

Just be aware that there are lot's of nice people who will share/demonstrate what works for them if you encounter problems .

25 days done and dusted

Bestwishes, M
Old 09-01-2012, 12:43 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Miyako That was very inspiring. It is really building on itself, isn't it? So happy for you! I quit the same way you did.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:00 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Learning to LIve

Thumbs up 30 day and under

I am in this club thanks for the support. SR is great. I can't imagine doing this without the support and wisdom of the replies.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:29 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Hello, I just registered. I've finally decided to quit drinking and am on 2 days sober.

God bless you all
Old 09-01-2012, 04:33 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
One Foot in Front of the Other

Welcome, GoaStyle! Hey, looks like you just got in under the wire for August and might want to check out the Class of August 2012 thread in the Newcomers Daily Support Forums. We have some great people over there who are right about where you are, myself included. Let's do this thing together!
Old 09-01-2012, 04:36 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR GoaStyle

D
Old 09-01-2012, 04:38 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WantToHeal View Post
Welcome, GoaStyle! Hey, looks like you just got in under the wire for August and might want to check out the Class of August 2012 thread in the Newcomers Daily Support Forums. We have some great people over there who are right about where you are, myself included. Let's do this thing together!
Thank you. I will definitely be there
Old 09-01-2012, 05:38 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

You've made a great decision Goa! So happy for you!