Notices

7 days sober but still a bit foggy/absentminded...

Old 08-27-2012, 02:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

7 days sober but still a bit foggy/absentminded...

Do any of you sober longer than me (1 week) have any insight as to how long it takes before the fogginess/absentmindedness lifts? It doesn't feel like a hangover, thank goodness, but I still feel like my thoughts aren't all that crystal clear, yet. How much longer before I get my old brain back?
Old 08-27-2012, 03:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Don't know Pippo, don't think I have a brain!

Missed you

Gx
Old 08-27-2012, 03:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Grace2 View Post
Don't know Pippo, don't think I have a brain!

Missed you

Gx
LOLZ! You're hilarious, Grace!
Old 08-27-2012, 03:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I suppose it depends on how much and for how long you have been drinking. I drank for 40 years and have been sober nearly a year now, and I am not sure I have totally recovered my mental faculties. Your best bet is to improve your diet if it needs it. If you have been drinking for any length of time you need vitamin supplements especially large doses of all vit B. Keep active, don't sit around feeling sorry for yourself, set yourself things to do everyday, and targets to achieve, and when you have a success reward yourself with a treat (this excludes a drink). Above all don't be impatient and keep going, believe me life looks so much better from where I am sitting
Old 08-27-2012, 03:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the suggestions, Mend. I will follow through. I am 40 years old and only started drinking too much the past 3 years or so.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i am on day 11 and i have to say it just lifted today (i think) i was so lethargic, could not think clearly ect.. it does get better keep it up
Old 08-27-2012, 03:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

right on, sobertime! Thanks for the encouragement!
Old 08-27-2012, 03:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Mendip Man, I really appreciate that post. Thank you for sharing it.
GX
Old 08-27-2012, 03:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Shoot for two months. Specifics are hard.

Keep it dry for two months in a row and if you aren't feeling a lot more clear in the head come back and sue me for breach of implied warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or something . . I think you will feel better before then, but sixty days should be long enough for most people to find the up-slope.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

Every day, every month, I get a bit more clear.

Give time time. You need to heal your entire body.

Stay strong and stay stopped!

Love & hugs,
Old 08-27-2012, 03:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I had a lot of fogginess in my second month Pippo. But things got better day by day and month by month. If you have been drinking heavily for a few years it'll take longer than a week to clear, but it is well worth the wait x
Old 08-27-2012, 06:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

For me. Pippo, it took a week for me to start to see an upturn from the withdrawal fog. But after that, it has been a steady improvement week by week. It's been a year, and it's so hard to say, but I think I am at 98%, very nearly all there but not quite. It is still good and getting better.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sobriety date 12/19/2011

I am still foggy sometimes after 8 months. I heard it usually takes approx 2 years before the fog is completely gone. I am happy though! It is a great learning experience. And I am excited to "re-wire" my thinking!
Old 08-27-2012, 08:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I'm at 6 weeks and the fog comes and goes. I have days of crystal clear thinking where I have energy, and then I have days where all I want to do is take naps and it's like slogging through mud. Vitamins definitely help, and each week there are less foggy days. Keep at it, there will be benefits even through the fog
Old 07-09-2019, 07:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Roi

I'm 3 weeks sober and not only absent minded but accident prone. Dropped my phone (broke) and had a minor fender bender. Have to laugh at the irony. No accidents while drunk. Feel great. So worth it! Drive carefully out there recent sobers!
Old 07-09-2019, 09:12 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I thought I felt fine after about 5 or 6 days. Then two weeks later I realized I felt even better and was not as fine as I thought previously. Now after one month I realize how much better I feel even since last week. I figure a month from now I will look back to today and think how I feel so much better than now. It keeps getting better.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:15 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It took me about 30 days to start feeling fairly normal again.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:36 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I've been drinking for a longer period of time, but really piled on the alcohol over the last 10 years. I can’t say when “the fog” lifted in sobriety, as it seems like things just gradually improved over time. Almost 2 years in, things are still getting better.

I’m 45, and one thing I acknowledge is that with age my body is changing. I'll never be the same as in my 30’s, drinking or not, so I work to support my body as much as I can through exercise and a healthy diet. But I will say that I’m a hell of a lot wiser now than then, so hopefully that offsets my ever-increasing “senior moments”.
-bora
Old 07-12-2019, 11:18 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Interesting post cos I felt the same. I lapsed after day 10 so starting again now! It seems like it varies person to person but I'll take the brain fog and sleepiness over the anxiety and insomnia any day!
Old 07-13-2019, 01:21 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Sticking to routine helped me a lot. Gym in the morning, gym after work, reading, writing, gardening, keeping busy. Let the mind switch off as much as possible. Later on it is easier to take things at a slower pace.