Notices

Newbie Here

Old 08-27-2012, 02:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newbie Here

Hi, I'm new to this group. I'm currently in rehab right now, working on my relapse prevention plan for when I move back home. I've just recently moved to Abu Dhabi from the United States and am trying to find some sober networks, support groups, and new friends to enrich my newfound life of sobriety. Any advice or guidance would be much appreciated! I haven't even left rehab yet and I'm already nervous and feeling like a newborn baby..... thanks for listening!
Old 08-27-2012, 02:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, I'm new too, just starting day three. Not best placed at the moment to give advice or guidance but there are plenty of people here to support you. Welcome to the group and good luck, x
Old 08-27-2012, 03:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

The only place to get alcohol in Abu Dhabi should be the hotel restaraunts . If dealing with the ex-pat comunity i'd be upfront about not drinking as otherwise they will feel like they are doing something special for you by getting alcohol in .

Remember you are in a mainly muslim country being tipsy or drinking any alcohol is'nt socially acceptable , even the equivalent of one small glass of wine would be enough for a month in jail if you have a car accident .

Take care , bestwishes, M
Old 08-27-2012, 05:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR slhendren12...I don't know what your relapse prevention plan is in your rehab...Mine was a heavy dose of AA....I haven't had a drink since I left rehab 14 months ago...If you want to take a look....Here is AA where you are...Best of luck to you and continue to read and post here for online support.

United Arab Emirates - English Speaking AA Meetings in the United Arab Emirates (Abu Dhabi, Ajman, Dubai, Fujairah, Ras al-Khaimah, Sharjah, Umm al-Quwain)
Old 08-27-2012, 05:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I moved at the very outset of my recovery, also to a place where English was not the main language. It turned out to be a very good move for me. I hope you enjoy your new environment and that you decide to work on your recovery.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know nothing of the UAE but welcome to SR - you'll find a lot of support here

D
Old 08-27-2012, 06:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks guys! I've already looked up the meetings for AA in Abu Dhabi and definitely plan on going to a lot of those. The rehab I'm in is a CBT based therapy program, but I figure AA will be just as efficient in keeping my sobriety on track. Basically I'm just trying to find a sober support network, especially since I don't know anyone there besides my family. I've found one sober group (12 step) based out of Dubai but I wish there was something a little closer in the neighborhood. Thanks for all the support and I look forward to hearing your experiences etc.

Remember: Change is not death, fear of change is death.

-Steph