Notices

Name a nice thing someone did to help support your sobriety

Old 08-26-2012, 09:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Name a nice thing someone did to help support your sobriety

What nice thing did someone do to help support your sobriety?

For me SR has done a lot, of course! But outside that, my sister hosted me a 50th birthday party when I was at 4 1/2 months sobriety. She served no alcohol at it, at all... At the time I thought the alcohol free thing was unnecessary, but now, having gone to so many events all summer when I was surrounded by alcohol, I see now what a nice thing it was she did. It was so much less stressful without alcohol around me. And it was a real show of solidarity, as everyone at my bdy were people who drink socially, not alcoholically. But no one drank that night.

How about you?
Old 08-26-2012, 09:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

At my first AA meeting two years ago, everyone shared their story so that I could see mine wasn't unique. It helped me get over my shame.

Good stuff.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Very early in my time in AA I was embarrassed to go back and admit I had one day. I must have been quite defensive when I spoke because immediately afterward a person looked at me and said rather sternly “It’s not a program of seniority”. I found the comment quite pointed and very strangely supportive. If you’re out there and you’re reading this… thanks.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

After a couple of months trying to maintain sobriety when living with my alcoholic H, I slipped. It was truly one of the most harrowing nights of my life. I was a wreck. After that night, my H finally faced up to his own drinking and quit with me. We are both 3 months sober now. He has gone from being one of my main anxieties and triggers to drink, to being my rock. His solid commitment to recovery and unfailing support to me is the best gift I could have in my quest for a new and fulfilling life x
Old 08-26-2012, 11:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That's a true miracle Jeni.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have a long list of people the stepped into my life that helped me change it....I love them like family....And I still have new ones that show up everyday.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Someone took me out for pie. sounds silly. It meant a lot to me. I was between paychecks and I really needed someone to just talk to me about stuff, to gossip a bit and tell me funny stories.

it's the little things, the little kindnesses that get us though Life, I think.

love from Lenina
Old 08-27-2012, 12:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

There are not many people who know about my battle, so up to now it is all the wonderful people on here. I can be honest and no one has condemned me or put me down. I'ts been very refreshing and a huge help.

Big hugs

G
Old 08-27-2012, 01:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'll never forget the AA member who visited me on my first day in the detox unit...my fear crumbled and for the first time in years, I felt a sense of relief and that I was finally on the right path.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Your sister sounds lovely EQ

When I told my sister about my problem she phoned me every week to see how I was. We would normally speak only once every couple of months and she's really busy so it was nice of her to find the time to support me.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

When I was very new in soberity ... I think I only had 2 weeks a good friend in AA drove from Atlanta to Memphis to be up there with me for a week while I worked. She went to meetings with me, she ate dinner with me, we had a wonderful time.

She dropped me off at the airport on Dec 2nd as she drove back to the airport. I slipped and I drank at the airport. I remember feeling so bad and quiet stupid for not having ANY will power. When I got back to Atlanta and saw her in our next meeting. I just cried and cried... when I told her I had slipped. She reminded me to get back up on the horse. And, I did! I have been sober almost 9 months.

She drove up there... just to be with me... and to be a friend.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The SR member who showed me SUCH compassion and kindness one day when I was freaking out having gotten on the wrong train. I was spiraling into self-hate and she shined a light for me to remember that I was a soul deserving of gentle care.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

This sounds silly but when I was sober the first time last year, my husband made me sobriety badges when I hit a milestone. He drew silly faces on sticky notes with the milestone written on top and would give me these rewards as I acheived them. It was very cute. :-)
Old 08-27-2012, 03:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Pipp, thats not silly, that is sweet. I was just telling on another thread recently how my sister, when we were just on a cruise during time of my six month sobriety date, she made a six month coin out of paper and put it on my pillow. I had been so miserable, surrounded by alcohol and drinking, and no ability to connect to SR. It really helped that someone understood what a big achievement that milestones was!!
Old 08-27-2012, 03:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Eternal Q,
My best friend of 30 years. She has been the most supportive friend one could wish for.
She is so happy that I am sober. She is coming to stay with me for a month and it is payback time. I will cover her accommodation and food. She is going on a special diet and I will prepare the food. This certainly will be a labour of love.
CaiHong
Old 08-27-2012, 05:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Oh Cai Hong, what a strong, trusting bond you two have. I am happy for you that you have such a lovely friend and such a great opportunity to be present for her. Keep us posted, ok?
Old 08-27-2012, 05:35 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I love the answers - so proud of you all. What a nice thread, EternalQ.

I had made such a fool of myself at work - at the end of my drinking career I was obviously drinking during the day, & most everyone knew it. I had a brief stay in detox & I dreaded going back to work. I was very shaky & embarrassed. A few days after my return, I found a letter on my desk. My co-workers had each written a few lines, telling me how proud they were of me and how happy they were that I was turning my life around. It ended with, "You're a beautiful person, Joanie". Needless to say, I burst into tears. I'm gone from there now, but I kept the letter. It meant the world.

Thanks for asking, EternalQ.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:54 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

took a crowbar and popped my head outta my but.
didnt baby me.
called me on my crap.
got me to see i was the only problem in my life.
got me to see that nothing changes if nothin changes.
answered the phone when i called at 3am.

justa few.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:58 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

On Friday a lady offered to come pick me up for a meeting. That was really nice. She also had the group chip in and they bought me a basic text.

Then today, my ex took me and my younger daughter out and got us haircuts.
He even got me some paul mitchell products. It was mind blowing.

He has never done anything like this before in the 30 odd years I have known him.

He has been clean and sober for 4 years now, and is like a new person.

It was fabulouso. Really made me feel good.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:20 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Beautiful thread, as always EQ

When I was in rehab (best thing I ever did btw)...they said to me "you've got mail".

It was a card and homemade cd from my childhood friend....1st song on it was "Lean on Me".

The night nurse played it at the nursing station...I'll never forget that moment.

A little thing that had an amazing affect on me and my resolve to keep going.