Notices

Name a nice thing someone did to help support your sobriety

Old 08-27-2012, 07:23 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

My spouse is very supportive every day! SR posts are uplifting, just a smiley face is nice!
Old 08-27-2012, 07:42 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

One day I was having suicidal thoughts and at this point, no longer sharing that news with those I live with.. really trying to hide it..(couldn't go numb and honestly didn't want to die) I walked into the 2nd meeting that night-and I saw a very friendly woman coming my way... she said, I have to say this, but I think you are soo beautiful.. all I could think is Lady, if you only knew what was on the inside- I managed to say thank you. That was the night I met my best friend. She's made my life so much better... She really values our friendship... we are so much alike! I wouldn't trade her for anything.. When time allows, we spend time together... She's blessed me sooo much. I've had many women who have woke early to my phone calls to pull me out of my pit.. and call to check on me later.. Now I answer calls... I love to help!
Old 08-27-2012, 08:15 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

I was going to a meeting one morning and excited to be but running late. I walked in and found that it was all ladies there...a womans meeting. I tried to play it off but Im sure I seemed dissappointed a little. They offered me some coffee and said I could stay if I had a burning desire to drink. I declined. Then as I left one of the ladies came after me and said she'd like to sit and talk and have a meeting with me. After awhile I opened up to her about the problems I was having with my whole life, drinking, my wife, being a daddy, on and on. She listened well and gave me some of the best advice that helped me very much. It was all advice pertaining to me, so probably no need repeating it here. But it really ended up being a life changing moment for me. I still think about it all the time.

When the other ladies left we were still there talking. I felt great afterwards.

The next week I drove across town again to see her pick up her 2 year coin
Old 08-28-2012, 07:42 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Someone sat down and actually talked to me like I wasn't a piece of dirt, and made me feel like I actually had a right to be here. That one discussion went a long ways in keeping me sober.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:10 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I'll name four:

1. Donated money to fund SR.
2. Built the site.
3. Volunteered to manage and moderate it.
4. Posted on it.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:39 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Very early in sobriety I went to a pampered chef party. It was my first social event where I wasn't drinking and something I had always scoffed at (both not drinking and PC parties).

It was surprisingly fun and when I got home my husband was sitting on the chair on his laptop. As soon as he saw me he put the computer away and said "Tell me all about it". He focused on my story (which really must have been quite dull) with all his might. Asked me funny questions. Made me tell him the names of everyone there and what they bought, etc. Just like 150% attention to my night. We laughed so much about stupid things.

I remember it like it was yesterday (it was 2 years ago). I had hope for the first time that sober social life could be fun.

He told me just recently that he never doubted for a minute that I would stay sober.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:39 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Allowed me to join the January class of 2012 here at SR. Life changing experience in a very positive way.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:09 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

A month ago, the first night I was on a cruise, I was freaking out about being surrounded by alcohol.

Just before I lost cell / data connection for the week, I desperately texted my cousin and a friend.

My cousin wrote right back, saying:
"I can't imagine how hard it must be. But I know that you can do this!"

My friend also wrote me right back, saying:
"This is a huge challenge for sure, but you are ready for it! I am proud of you."

These two people are not abstinent. They drink. Socially. I have drank with them. They know nothing of "Recovery". Yet the words they offered me were perfect.

Then I lost all contact with friends and SR for five days. But I repeated to myself what my cousin and friend wrote to me, during that whole week. It got me through.

Theyll never realize what those quick replies did and how important they were to me.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:45 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

This is beautiful...

At this early stage of my game...ending day 2...it has been the beauty from the people of this site that has filled a hole I was filling with alcohol and all the wrong people.

I've already "met" an amazing friend who has shown more genuine care and concern from afar than I've had in quite a long time...and I look forward to many more friendships to be formed.

Thank you all on this site for posting, replying, sharing, and reading...You are inspirational.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:22 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Ever since I quit drinking, my sister always keeps club soda, cranberry juice and bottled water at her house when she entertains because she knows it makes me feel.festive to drink them on ice at a party. Its so thoughtful.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:39 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAndAble View Post
I'll name four:

1. Donated money to fund SR.
2. Built the site.
3. Volunteered to manage and moderate it.
4. Posted on it.
Wow. Good for you, R&A. Way to hijack the topic, make others feel lame by comparison, and weave an otherwise uplifting and inspiring thread into a hagiography about yourself.

Can you maybe name four, or even two more, that don't have anything to do with puffing yourself up and putting others down in the process?
Old 09-08-2012, 08:53 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
~sb

um, I believe ReadyAndAble WAS talking about someone other than him. ReadyAndAble isn't a mod; just another alkie seeking help from others.

My friend at a meeting handed me a beautiful small glass clock and as she gave it to me in early sobriety, she said, "Give time time."

It isn't an expensive clock, but her intent and love are real. Just another alkie helping another alkie. Priceless!
Old 09-08-2012, 09:10 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Thanks, Sugarbear.

septemberlass, the question was to name four things someone did to help my sobriety. Those people helped me a lot.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:15 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Yes, Ready and Able, I had really liked your four.thing post back when I read.it.
In fact, I would say that your post was something I could name as something nice that someone did for me to support my sobriety! : )
Old 09-08-2012, 09:17 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

My wife quit drinking with me, even though she enjoys some wine, she has no problem whatsoever.
She also makes sure I have plenty of alternatives, like soda, and healthy foods and good snacks around.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:08 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Administrator

Everyday here at SR I'm reminded of the generosity of human spirit, and the graceful and genuine way the vast majority of our members deal with each other.

Everyday that reaffirms my commitment to living this way

thanks guys!

D
Old 09-09-2012, 07:50 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Earth Child

My husband he has supported me through my recovery i think id be worse of with out him
Old 09-09-2012, 07:57 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Mecanix.... thank you!
Old 09-09-2012, 08:16 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Getting Healthy

An angel sent me some sober books and a positivity bracelet.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:52 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

My sister just sent me a card in the mail.
On the front it says: Decision + Willpower = Success!!
Inside it says: So proud of all you've achieved. You're doing great!