SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   repetiative old alkie brain (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/266422-repetiative-old-alkie-brain.html)

mecanix 08-26-2012 12:17 PM

repetiative old alkie brain

So sometimes the demented repetative parrot of my alkie brain goes on about drink . Usually i dissmis it and tune out and it goes after 20 mins or so ... or blast it with some heavy metal music . what do you guys do or what did you do when it was getting to ya ?

thanks,

Bestwishes, M

Anna 08-26-2012 12:32 PM

Yoga! The best antidote. :)

Weasel1966 08-26-2012 12:34 PM

I have learned that reaching out to friends who dont drink is helpful.

I never had that opportunity before. I surrounded myself with drunks and druggies.

Today i am also going to cook on the grill.

I still feel shameful for the thoughts that sometimes seem to consume but that again is simply the AV trying a different angle.

Either way it comes at me I will bust wide open my cycle of drunk sundays.

Thanks M.

K

freshstart57 08-26-2012 01:04 PM

Mecanix, not sure if this has been mentioned to you, but I used something that the writer calls Urge Surfing. This is a Sober Recovery page about it.

I just searched for 'urge surfing', and there are many pages about this, here is another one. It's a tool that is discussed in the context of dealing with addictive behaviors, so it's right on the money. I found it extremely helpful for me.

least 08-26-2012 01:12 PM

Every time I got urges or cravings to drink I'd ask myself if a drink would make things better. The answer was always no. I also reminded myself of how sick I was during my last detox and how much I never wanted to be that sick again. Must be working as I've been happily sober for over two years now.:)

hypochondriac 08-26-2012 01:18 PM

I'm with you on the blasting it with heavy metal music Mecanix :) Distraction is my favourite tool for the temporary insanity that occasionally hits me telling me it'd be a good idea to have a drink. Thinking the drink through has always helped too, though some days it is harder than others. The best advice I got was though was to tell someone if I was thinking about drinking. There is something insidious about harbouring secret thoughts about drinking. Even something simple like telling someone I was tempted by the reduced bottles of wine at my local shop makes me feel safer... ah, thats better :) x

mecanix 08-26-2012 01:23 PM

reduced bottles of wine at my local shop
Yeh, three bottes of poison for the price of two what a bargain NOT !

ahhhh Thanks, M

sugarbear1 08-26-2012 01:29 PM

I told that voice I might entertain it tomorrow, just not today. Then I called people and talked. Called another. Kept talking to people. Asked them about their day and got out of my own way. Made it to a meeting. I stayed out of my head as much as possible. Got cleaning something and refused to stop until the mind was calm. Actions, not thinking.

It worked, one day after the next.

I hope you act your way into a new life....start building a life for you, change your routine and come up with a healthier one!

Love & hugs,

cheese1 08-26-2012 01:57 PM

If i think im going to drink i go on the chat here and ask advice. Works for me but i feel sorry for the others who have to read my moaning text lol

MsJax 08-26-2012 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by least (Post 3549850)
Every time I got urges or cravings to drink I'd ask myself if a drink would make things better. The answer was always no. I also reminded myself of how sick I was during my last detox and how much I never wanted to be that sick again. Must be working as I've been happily sober for over two years now.:)

This is what I do too. Just yesterday while out in the wilderness with my boyfriend I started fantasizing about booze! And how nice it would be to get just slightly loaded. Unbelievable after over 17 months. Then I remind myself of the horrible sickness, detox, 3 totaled cars. I got through :)

Live2Run25 08-26-2012 03:31 PM

I like to go running to clear my mind, or pick up a book or look at pinterest. I've had my first real cravings here lately but I haven't really had any difficulty with them.