Notices

Nightmares

Old 08-25-2012, 02:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
JWS

Nightmares

I know nightmares are common during DT's, but I have been sober since July 20th and I still experience them. This is especially prevalent right as I drift into the first stage of sleep. I really don't remember the majority of them, but I find myself waking back up to prevent the dream from progressing. Once asleep, most of my dreams involve some form of personal danger. Of course, I do not wake up from those. Does anyone else deal with something similar?
Old 08-25-2012, 02:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JWS

Oops. Just saw the forum for this topic. My apologies.
Old 08-25-2012, 02:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think nightmares are fairly common - in my experience, a month wasn't out of the ordinary jws.

Please do go see someone - Dr, counsellor, therapist - if it's concerning you tho.

D
Old 08-25-2012, 02:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I used to have nightmares all the time, but they were related to me having high anxiety during the day and it would catch up with me in the night. Mine were like panic attack dreams.. I thought I was waking to a heart attack... needless to say it was scary.. My heart would be beating out of my chest and I swear it would feel like my heart was stopping... I had a lot of stress back then, I wasn't drinking to heavily back then.. But now that I'm sober.. I'm haveing to deal with the mental health part of me-I'm doing better..
Old 08-25-2012, 02:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Makes me wonder if you have any ongoing conflicts with someone. I have noted that nightmares tend to be more frequent when there is some form of hostility between individuals (typically but not always involving the dreamer). If there is, attempting to resolve that may help.
Old 08-25-2012, 02:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I wouldn't worry too much, I had hordes of medieval characters with big axes and swords chasing me for over 2 months. My Doc told me it was just my brain 'defragmenting' itself. . . They gave up the chase in the end
Old 08-25-2012, 04:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

I had those, too. Very vivid dreams, vivid nightmares. Alcohol disrupts normal sleeping, so it's our brain healing and learning to sleep "naturally" again.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You don't actually dream during the first stages of sleep, that takes place much later at night / early morning, and as the night progresses the dream stages of sleep get longer and longer. If you wake up suddenly and cannot remember perhaps there is something else going on.

I wake up frequently and bolt upright in bed, I've wondered if I have sleep apnea or something, but it doesn't happen all the time and is usually early on in the night.

As for actual dreams, back when I smoked a lot of pot and then stopped I had really terrible dreams for about a week. Now days I just have using dreams, and those aren't all that troubling to me.