Notices

Newbe here Day 3 sober and feel horrible

Old 08-25-2012, 11:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newbe here Day 3 sober and feel horrible

I'm glad I found SR. I'm an 43 alcoholic and drug attic. After isolating for for so long, drinking 15-18 beers/day and smoking so much weed so I could pass out, I had enough and I had to do this for my health and wellbeing. This is my first post and today is my 3rd day sober (on medical detox (valium) and I feel like I've been hit by a mac train today. I feel so horrible, massive head ache, major fatigue, anxiety that I didn't feel on day 1 and 2. Yesterday was a pretty good day, so I'm kind of bummed that I feel like this today. I'm so foggy, dizzy and don't know if it's from the lack of sleep (last two days slept maybe 6 hrs) or coming off valium (I've been on Benzo's for 4 years for anxiety). When will the night sweats go away? When does this feeling go away?
I will be entering an outpaitent recovery program starting Tues., but I just need to make it thru today, tomorrow and Mon. I'm worried about how I will feel tomorrow being off the valium. I have a history of major anxiety. I would like to go to a meeting but I can't drive in the condition i'm in being on meds. I hope I feel somewhat better tomorrow so I can find my first meeting. I need to get through today!!!!!! Until then.. It's SR. Thanks for listening.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
stepping on my way...

Hey RacerDude! Hang in there. My doctor told me that day 3 is when your body realizes..."hey, wait you are not giving me what I want" Just hang in there...you are beating this! Take it easy rest, sleep, eat lightly, gaterade, watch TV ....just relax. If WD get too bad do not hesitate to go to doctor or ER. Just don't drink. A new life is waiting for you. You can do this!!! YOU ONLY HAVE TO GO THROUGH THIS ONCE! Stay close and keep posting!
Old 08-25-2012, 12:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

Get through day 3. It all gets better after this! Nightsweats? I had mine for way too long, but my body was saturated with toxins!

I hope you have seen a medical doctor for your detoxing, it can shock the body to go cold turkey, which doesn't mean to self-medicate any more---See A Doctor!

Stay strong!

Love & hugs,
Old 08-25-2012, 12:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

sweetheart if it gets bad get some medical help... I was a weekend warrior, so I didn't have all that, and i was getting dry for a while and would pick up, then I found AA-sober 97 days..

That's great that you are making so much progress and have a plan on Tuesday.. Good luck on your Journey!
Old 08-25-2012, 12:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Racerdude -

Congrats on making the decision to get sober. I'm sorry things are difficult right now, but don't get discouraged. I wasn't good for much of anything during those first days. Try to be patient with yourself as you heal and remember that it WILL get better.

Glad you've joined us!
Old 08-25-2012, 12:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks all !! Yes sugerbear1, I saw a Detox Dr. this past Tues and he scared the you know what out of me... saying he didn't think I could get clean but would help me detox and did a 3 day detox using Valium. His concern was I'm depressed, have anxiety (been using Ativan for 4 years in small doses), I live alone, have no friends (left them for alcohol and secluded myself in my house), no family support, no body, so he said it was all up to me. I made the decision that Thurs I would start. So here I am.... I can't do this alone!!
Old 08-25-2012, 12:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Racerdude, you're not doing this alone. You have a whole network of people here who will be willing to help and support you, so don't ever feel it's a solo project!!

Day 3 is horrible, I think no matter how bad off you are. I've seen many people here feeling like crap here on Day 3. Definitely was my worst day. Take naps, drink water, read on SR, and just get through it...
Old 08-25-2012, 12:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Racerdude View Post
Thanks all !! Yes sugerbear1, I saw a Detox Dr. this past Tues and he scared the you know what out of me... saying he didn't think I could get clean but would help me detox and did a 3 day detox using Valium. His concern was I'm depressed, have anxiety (been using Ativan for 4 years in small doses), I live alone, have no friends (left them for alcohol and secluded myself in my house), no family support, no body, so he said it was all up to me. I made the decision that Thurs I would start. So here I am.... I can't do this alone!!
I've lost alot in my journey too, but let me tell you, I've gained a lot of people in recovery through AA...I just kept going, got a lot of phone numbers and called people when I needed to talk-when I had no one else to turn too-I found sponsors, found amazing friends and not to long ago found a best friend (Believe me-that hasn't happened since school). You will walk into a room full of people who know where you have been, who speak your story and you do get some laughs now and then.. Makes life wonderful! YES you can do it, and you don' t have to be alone... Good luck Kiddo! So proud of your hard effort!
Old 08-25-2012, 03:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard racerdude - you'll find lots of friends, & support, here

D
Old 08-25-2012, 03:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Racerdude - I'm so proud of you for making this decision. No one realizes how hard it is to make this change, except we alkies.

You will never regret reclaiming your life. After this difficult time, it will continue to get better. It's good you're going into a program next week. Hold on to the belief that you will get through this, and it will lead you to a new chapter in your life - one free of addictions.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome. Its great you are getting help. Here is a great thread on what others have gone through:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 08-25-2012, 05:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Racerdude,

You've found a good place for support. We do understand how hard this is. I'm glad you're getting through this and have a plan for outpatient support.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Racerdude:

Hang in there...day 3 is the peak for physical withdrawal.

It will help if you drink lots of water and gatorade. The electrolytes in gatorade will help with dehydration and water will flush the toxins in your system.

The physical withdrawal might last up to 8 days, but today should be the worst day. Tough it out.

Let us know how you feel tomorrow, ok?
Old 08-26-2012, 09:47 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Everyone THANK YOU for your support and replys. I made it thru day 3!!! Still can't sleep, still major nite sweats, but I made it. I dont' know how yet to respond to each and every one of your posts with quotes, but they helped me find the strenth the get thru yesterday. I'm still can't focus on just one thing to relax, even though I'm trying to watch TV, movies, road racing (which is my fav thing to do - and really miss partisipating in it), listen to music, read posts here.

Today is DAY 4 and the first day off my detox meds and I have realized that I don't EVER want to go thru Detoxing again. I know I'm still detoxing my body and I actually went and got some gatorade yesterday as I am definatley dehydrated. (did the skin pull and it went back down the slowest I've ever seen) Thanks for that suggesting SlimSlim.... I'm also drinking LOTS and Lots of water like you all said to flush the toxins. I can't belive how much pain I feel today from the dizziness, foggy head, anxiety. But what is worse is my family who I've been disconnected for over 10plus years now realizes how bad my disese is after telling them whats going on. I can't believe how much support I got yesterday and for the first time in many years I cried with each of them. Wow how my emotions are coming out after numbing them for so many years.

Taking5 - Thanks for that link as it really helped me understand what I am going thru and what to expect going forward. I'm scared, but I'm committed to getting the help and support to get thru this.

I'm trying to go to a meeting today, but I'm scared to drive the way I feel right now. If not, I'll be here of and on all day. I actually took a short 15min walk today to try and help with the shakiness i'm feeling this morning. My hands are shaking more than the past 3 days, and my heart is racing alittle. Maybe it's anxiety and probably alittle due to dehydration. i'm pumping myself with gatorade this morning to help.

Please give me the strenth to get thru today..... I am totally committed and looking forward to getting professional rehab help on Tues.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Call the AA or NA phone number in your phone book. Tell them what you are doing and they'll send someone to pick you up for a meeting.
Without the meetings I would have died in 1989 at 45 yrs old. I was on Valium for 15 yrs ('74-'89) along with the booze and other stuff.
Get some phone numbers from the AA and NA members and get hanging out with them.

I had to save my own a$$ but I couldn't save it alone.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 08-26-2012, 10:01 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Good for you for being on Day 4 ! Great you connected with your family. You are making very good decisions, including not driving while shakey. You can do it. V 8 juice helped me a lot the first weeks, loads of potassium.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:03 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Ended up in the ER today with benzo withdrawl. My body went into shock....BP was 210/115 pulse 145. I was told I was very close to having a stoke. Seems like my detox dr. made a too short schedule. Good thing the ER doc says i'm over the alcolhol withdrawls... just need to get off the benzo's since i've been on them for almost 4 years.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:10 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm so glad you're alright. What a terrible scare. After this is over, you can rebuild your health. Glad you're going on Tuesday - you can leave all your misery behind.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:23 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Thanks goodness you got help, RacerDude - I'm so glad you decided to go to the hospital. It's really too bad your doctor didn't take more precautions, but hopefully you're on the mend at this point.

Better days are ahead, right? Stay strong and keep letting us know how you're doing.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:55 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

That was a scare. So glad you got to ER. Hope you are feeling better.