Notices

want me to grab some beer while im here?

Old 08-25-2012, 07:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

want me to grab some beer while im here?

My husband I haven't drank in 7 days today. We also have had 4 beers sitting in the vegetable bin in the bottom of the fridge for 7 days untouched. Yesterday after work he stopped at the grocery store to pick up a few things he called me while there and asked me if there were anything else that I needed I told him no except some Doritos lol he asked me...want me to grab some beer while im here? and I yelled "are you out of your cotton pickin mind"? he chuckled and said "so just beer for me right?" I said "well I would hope not" he said "I thought you'd say that...chuckle again" husband comes home from the store with nothing but food. no beer no alcohol of any kind and those 4 beers in the vegetable bin in the bottom of the fridge????? well they are still there why we haven't gotten rid of them I dont know but not saying yes to them has felt good thank you all for being there and so supportive
Old 08-25-2012, 07:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

good story
Old 08-25-2012, 07:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

No good reason to keep the ones in the fridge.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i chucked all mine out and the beer glases
Old 08-25-2012, 07:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have one beer in my fridge that has been there over two weeks since I announced sobriety. I leave it there sort of as a symbol of my strength and control over my addiction.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Cute story, personally I had to rid myself of all my alcohol, luckily i had nothing but what I was drinking my last night and I poured it down the drain... You guys are doing awesome-keep up the good work..
Old 08-25-2012, 08:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Pour them out. Trust me, this is your road to happiness. It is so hard in the beginning, but gets so much easier. Just do it!
Old 08-25-2012, 08:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

for the first 3 days i kept beer in fridge but for me it was a safety net so thats why i removed them
Old 08-25-2012, 09:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I can see keeping one so that you can laugh and point at it. But I dumped my vodka, you betcha.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Riding.... I had to laugh! That's what me and mine go through a lot.... We joke... We call a small bottle a "three'er" because we can each have three shots out of it. We tease as we pass the store ... Hey? Want a three'er?

I can tell you from experience that we live vicariously through the thought but that it also is AV waiting for that right weak moment.

We agree not to do that again but we do.

We keep it at the joke level because we are at 6 days.... And nothing can be more dangerous than a joke sometimes. We feed off each others weakness when we need to.

Congrats on the 7 days! Keep going strong!
Old 08-25-2012, 09:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Lead me not into temptation - I had to rid my home of everything that was a trigger - except Red Solo Cups :-)
Old 08-25-2012, 10:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sobriety date 12/19/2011

I had two beers in my fridge when i got sober. I kept them there for about 3 weeks. I told my sponsor and she wanted me to get them out of the house immediately. So I made some bread and used the beers instead of water. It was delicious bread, and it made me feel better to get them out! I am an alcoholic and any alcohol in the house is asking for a relapse. I now have NO ALCOHOL in my home. It feels great to know that I am safe at my home. I am not safe at the grocery store, at the gas stations, at the restaurants, at my neighbors, but I am safe at my home!
I have 8 months and counting, and I never want to go back to the consciousness that I was in. I am in a much better state of consciousness now, one that I have a purpose in my life again. I am tuned in to my God and that's all that matters to me now.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I would have to get rid of it, give it away or pour it down the sink, otherwise it would be doing handstands and shouting my name to get my attention.

Big hugs

Gxx
Old 08-25-2012, 10:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You need to pour those down the drain pronto. Don't feel bad. I poured about 72 beers down the drain on Day 1. Haven't regretted it.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:46 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good for you, I can't leave any booze sitting around or I will drink it eventually but I'm glad your hubby is with you on this journey!
Old 08-25-2012, 10:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

If you're serious, ditch the beer. Unopened 'totems' in fridges are not wise.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:26 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

I have an experience, something similar, I'd like to share. My sobriety date is Nov. 27, 1988.

I got married about five months before I sobered up. There were about 9 beer and several open bottles of hard liquor that we couldn't return for a refund. The booze was in the storage room of our 2-bedroom apartment, out of sight, but certainly not out of mind. I kept them for awhile because I was not sure I could handle sobriety, and I thought if I was going to have a slip I'd fill the bathtub and go for a swim. That thinking repulses me now.

The beer became a sobriety tool, although not one I'd recommend. Once in a while, when I was stressed out and feeling I was missing out on something by not drinking, I'd take a bottle of beer out of the storage room straight to the kitchen sink, screw off the top and pour it slowly down the drain. While doing that, I'd smell it and think how awful it smelled, what did I ever see in that stuff. I'd think about what I was losing by not drinking anymore - nothing! I'd think about what I'd gain if I drank it - nothing!

When I was about four months sober, I gave away all the remaining booze to a cousin whose son was getting married. There has never been booze in my residence since.

I need to mention that my new wife was an experienced Al-Anon member, and that I deeply believed, then as now, that if I drink I'll die.

My experience only.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
JWS

Do you have a deceased loved one that liked beer? Perhaps you can visit them at the grave and "share". My grandfather died in March. He wasn't a heavy drinker but when he did he prefered Schaefer Light. I always kept his one last unopened can in the fridge of his vacation home. He couldn't go there in the last few years of his life. I eventually plan to pour that drink on his grave sight. After all, we saved it for him!
Old 08-25-2012, 02:51 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've never gotten the idea of keeping alcohol in the house as some kind of 'test'.

The biggest test of strength I can recommend is pouring the stuff down the drain

D
Old 08-25-2012, 03:17 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by iWillBSobr View Post
I have one beer in my fridge that has been there over two weeks since I announced sobriety. I leave it there sort of as a symbol of my strength and control over my addiction.
Bill Wilson, one of AA's co-founders, kept a bottle or gin or rum on top of his fridge for the same reason. It worked for him. Dr. Bob, the other co-founder, didn't fare so well with this strategy. We are all different in this regard.

For my purposes I and alcohol free as I can be. I use non-alcoholic mouthwash, imitation vanilla for cooking (real vanilla has as much alcohol as wine), etc., etc.