Notices

Made it through day 9 and 10...almost 11!

Old 08-24-2012, 11:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Made it through day 9 and 10...almost 11!

I made it home from Dallas with no issues, didn't even want a drink.

As I mentioned in an earlier post on Day 8, with my airline status I get upgraded to first class most trips where the drinks are free and flowing. Some folks suggested that I give up first class and stay in coach, but I get a free drink there as well. Giving up first class isn't the solution, my resolve is the only solution to my drinking.

Alcohol is all around me as I'm sure it is for everyone on SR. With recent legislation in my home state, it's everywhere, the grocery store, the drug store, Costco, the airplane, the hotel concierge lounge, client dinners, dinner with friends or even with my husband.

While I travel, I can map out a liquor store near my hotel in every state and country that I frequent. I'd gotten stealth at hiding it in water bottles, disposing of the liquor bottle evidence and stashing it as other's on SR have indicated around my house or in my bags.

It's amazing to me the amount of effort I've put into being deceptive to feed my habit. No more.

I haven't "declared" my sobriety, but I do tell people I have stopped drinking when asked.

I guess I need to re-think that strategy, but day by day I'm getting stronger. When I feel the urge, I make sure I don't go to any of those places.

I remember when I quit smoking about 6 years ago, it was really hard for the first 30 days, then I had a slip, then I got right back on the wagon, a few months later I had a slip, then got right back on and never looked back. I'm not sure drinking will follow suit, but I never thought I'd be able to quit smoking my first real try after smokingn for 20 years.

Wishing everyone an amazing day!
Old 08-25-2012, 12:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you!

You're right - alcohol and temptation is everywhere. We can't hide from all the places that sell alcohol. If I did, I wouldn't be able to even do my grocery shopping. Being in first class will make no difference if you just say "no, thank you" and mean it. If you're certain before you get on those flights that you will NOT be drinking, and believe in that 100%, you will be absolutely fine. It doesn't matter how many times people offer you alcohol... all you have to do is say no.

All the best x