Notices

Alright Today is the Day It Begins!!

Old 08-28-2012, 04:03 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ouncement.html

Paul....please read the above link.

It speaks to each and everyone of us -- and you.

Sorry, but from the very first thread you posted, you were predictable. And that's why I read it -- because it keeps me sober.

I don't want to drink.

Life is great! What a wonderful day I had.

Oh, crap...man I gotta dump this GF, and that hurts, so I drank.

My parents would do anything in the world for me (I wonder if they would pay for you to get help with your drinking? But I guess they don't know the real issue or Dad wouldn't open a bottle of wine and let you share?)

Hey! I can control this. I like being in control of my drinking. I only had two beers in the bar!

Oh, and by the way, don't tell be to do AA or seek counseling. I am just not going to do that. Nothing against AA, but I am not going to do that. I like the anonymity of the internet, and it's all the help I need. Besides, my issues are unique? I'm not bad enough to need AA. (I wonder how many people look forward to going to AA?)

ARRRGHHHH....I drank today, after walking the dog and cleaning the house and running a marathon, but beyond that, life is good.

I am not going to promise I will never won't drink. I am too honest to promise something I don't think I can do.

I am not powerless over alcohol -- although it wrecked my life three years ago -- I just want to be able to control it like a normal person.

So, really, what type of support are you gaining from SR?

I know you are struggling. We all did, and some of us still do. And the sad part of all of this is you will think my posting is hammering you, not supporting you, not understanding precisely where you are at (because I think your posts scream where you might be headed).

It's like this: Why ask for help if you will just ignore the suggestions? How can you even say that some outside help -- your choice -- isn't needed.

Many of us in recovery have low thresholds for those who simply will not admit the depth of their problem. Some of us have hit rock bottom, not living at home with their parents and not suffering tremendous consequences after the problem has fermented for a few decades. I think we take a hard approach with you because we see just how dangerous the road is you tread.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result (like me posting here).
Old 08-28-2012, 04:56 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by MemphisBlues View Post
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ouncement.html

//snip//
I know you are struggling. We all did, and some of us still do. And the sad part of all of this is you will think my posting is hammering you, not supporting you, not understanding precisely where you are at (because I think your posts scream where you might be headed).

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result (like me posting here).
Thanks for that post MB - and how you wrote it. Really.
My best to you Paul - really cheering that you find something that 'clicks' for you.
All my best
Old 08-28-2012, 05:12 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

MemphisBlues, very good post. Quoting Dee's summary of what his posts would have been while continuing to drink really shortens this whole process by cutting right to the chase. The same five posts over and over ad nauseam, and here they go by, one more time.

Paul, if we each of us gave you our sagest observations, the story of our experience, shared the strength of our commitments to sobriety and then just stopped playing along with you, your threads would have stopped being anything other than Dee's five posts a long time ago.

Nothing anybody has been able to say to you has convinced you to listen to what you have been saying over and over. You refuse to make a commitment to stop drinking, so you keep drinking. You think that you can somehow come to not depend on alcohol while continuing to drink. Well, you can't, Paul, you just can't.

Like MemphisBlues said, maybe we are just as deluded as you. We think that there is something we can tell you that will help you. Our insanity is continuing to tell you what you need to hear and hoping that it will make some sort of difference, but you keep proving us nutzo time after time.

We all want to share what we have with you, Paul, and that is a way of life without alcohol. Until you decide you want a life without alcohol too, I am out.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:40 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Paul,
I think MemphisBlues post is well written. I read your posts regularly and ache for you. I refrain from posting, as you've said it's the journaling of your day that is important and helpful to you.

You are young, intelligent, energetic and have a loving family.....special gifts. You've also said to Dee you are arrogant and stubborn. Which of these gifts / traits, do you think will take you where you want to go?
Old 08-28-2012, 05:50 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=pauladmits;3552326]I didn't resist once again.

I feel in control and out of control at the same time. I just love the people I meet here that PM me and talk to me and just encourage me.....

There is nothing stopping anyone from being who they want to be! QUOTE]

Perhaps the people here at SR trying to encourage you to gain some control would love to read that you DID RESIST? Perhaps ALCOHOL IS STOPPING YOU from being who you want to be?

Being newly sober since January, if I did not have the resolve I do today through listening, learning, and putting into action what the wise and caring people here at SR (those who have walked many a mile way ahead of me on this path) have shared with me, I would be more than tempted to pick up and sip up after reading your escapades. We are all fragile. We are all trying in ernest to stay stopped. I cannot in good conscience feed into this thread again. Good luck with whatever you are trying to accomplish. May you find peace.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:28 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

paul,
i deeply hope that you find and walk the path to your sobriety. i believe you have it in you, and wish nothing but the best for you.
the one absolute is that if you do not stop drinking, you will not be sober. it won't just happen. it will take work, and it will be hard, and you have everything it takes to make that happen. when you are ready, you will begin. based on recent posts, i am not sure that you are there.
i am not sure what i can offer to you other than prayers and good thoughts, so i will leave it at that and remove myself from posting.
may you find your serenity, your sobriety, and yourself.
hil
Old 08-28-2012, 08:13 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

You're never going to magically wake up not wanting alcohol.

Paul, I'm five months sober in 3 days. This weekend I went away with my husband to a luxury hotel and was surrounded by expensive wine, champagne, the lot. We had champagne waiting in our room on arrival. Recently I've been walking on cloud nine because I haven't considered drinking, at all, but this weekend I had a few issues. My AV was screaming at me on occasion, but I knew deep down that it wasn't what I truly wanted, and although I got the thoughts like 'oh, how can you turn down champagne when you're celebrating?' etc, I knew that RATIONALLY I didn't want it AT ALL - I wanted sobriety and all it has given me.

What I'm trying to say is that I'm almost five months sober and I still get those thoughts. You can't become the person who is able to look at those thoughts for what they are - addiction - and be in total control of your behaviour by refusing to allow that addiction to be in control of you, if you don't have conviction.

This is driving me a little bit insane, Paul, so I can't begin to imagine how it's making you feel. The back and forth is enough to send anyone dizzy. I get really excited when you're excited and have that belief in yourself - that you can be sober, just like you do, but then there is the frustration of you drinking again. Since being sober I've realised that you get from life what you honestly expect from it. What do you expect to happen with your drinking? It's exactly what will happen.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:57 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Day 5 coming in with a horrible record of 1-3. I do not want to drink today... I need to figure out a way to stay broken up with my gf this time. She texted me saying she doesn't want to break up. But it doesn't matter this time... I need this!! I'm not happy with her and I do not see a future with her. It needs to be done now! Man would I feel free with out alcohol and her. I would be completely free from any shackles! Alright, so today is important. No alcohol, no girlfriend... get another sober day under my belt and get the record going in the right direction. I have work again today so I'll be on the computer all day. Probably post more than usual as I'm sure things will be flipping and flopping all over my head.

Anyways, thanks for your comments!
Old 08-28-2012, 09:59 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I'm glad you continue to post and I know everyone here wants the absolute best for you (which is why you have so many responses on your threads!). I know it must seem, at times, that no one has any confidence in you - but I don't think that is the case. It's just hard when we're looking at it from the other side and thinking about the times we left the door to alcohol open just a crack. The passion that many have about recovery is a reflection of the pain it took to get there. That's what I try to remember when I read posts that seem a little too aggressive.

I have to say, from reading all your posts, I think breaking up with your girlfriend was a good decision. It's hard to be in a relationship that's not authentic and (just speaking from my own experience) it can be tempting to drink in order to not face our true feelings and make things tolerable. One of the greatest gifts of sobriety, for me, has been learning that I need to be myself and live authentically.

I hope you continue to move forward and are able to make a full commitment to sobriety. I really do believe you've made tremendous progress and I love your positive attitude. Personally, I think your 99% of the way there. At some point, though, we have to pull the weed out by the root or it will grow back. That's what everyone is trying to say, I think. We're still on your side, though, and always have been.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:36 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

from reading your previous postings, I think you and your GF break up and get back together on a regular basis. that kind of High Drama/emotional upheaval, push-pull, arguing would be very stressful for me, it saps a lot of energy and provides those triggers i've learned to recognise.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:47 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by artsoul View Post
I'm glad you continue to post and I know everyone here wants the absolute best for you (which is why you have so many responses on your threads!). I know it must seem, at times, that no one has any confidence in you - but I don't think that is the case. It's just hard when we're looking at it from the other side and thinking about the times we left the door to alcohol open just a crack. The passion that many have about recovery is a reflection of the pain it took to get there. That's what I try to remember when I read posts that seem a little too aggressive.

I have to say, from reading all your posts, I think breaking up with your girlfriend was a good decision. It's hard to be in a relationship that's not authentic and (just speaking from my own experience) it can be tempting to drink in order to not face our true feelings and make things tolerable. One of the greatest gifts of sobriety, for me, has been learning that I need to be myself and live authentically.

I hope you continue to move forward and are able to make a full commitment to sobriety. I really do believe you've made tremendous progress and I love your positive attitude. Personally, I think your 99% of the way there. At some point, though, we have to pull the weed out by the root or it will grow back. That's what everyone is trying to say, I think. We're still on your side, though, and always have been.
Thank you very much!! I really needed that this morning.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:03 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
from reading your previous postings, I think you and your GF break up and get back together on a regular basis. that kind of High Drama/emotional upheaval, push-pull, arguing would be very stressful for me, it saps a lot of energy and provides those triggers i've learned to recognise.
That's the story of my life. Just driven by impulses. And yes, this relationship has drained a lot of my fight out of me. It has to stop now!!
Old 08-28-2012, 11:06 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  
I Just Keep Coming Back

Paul, I'm fairly new to the forum and have eight days of no alcohol under my belt. I'm in no way portraying that I have all of the answers but some things in your posts do concern me.

I remember you had one thread that was moved, and you got upset and angry...left the forum and decided to drink again. The moderators were trying to explain to you that it was not personal, just the way the forum is set up and you stormed away saying that you would do it on your own.

From the outside looking in, it seems that you are seeking attention no matter what form it comes in and you act very immature at times when others try to offer or lend you support. Your relationship with your girlfriend is a toxic one (you've hinted at this in previous posts) and it definitely a trigger for one of your binges as happened a few weeks back.

Also, YOU have to develop the mindset that YOU want to stop drinking and that YOU can not control alcohol. Alcohol controls YOU....whether that's two beers or two bottles of wine.

Paul, I pray that whatever path you decide to pursue in your quest for sobriety leads you to the place of peace you are seeking.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:10 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

not that being impulsive and positive is a bad thing, it just requires a lot of energy.

Perhaps you and the GF are just mismatched as a couple if you fight a lot. or you are outgrowing the relationship? if you have different interests (i remember some fight you posted about the clam juice that spilled on the floor), different personalities, it's time to find someone more in tune with you.

being alone isn't a bad thing sometimes, it gives you peace. you have a big supportive family and friends, other interests and a new puppy. you like your life and you desire and deserve freedom from all the negative stressors in life. If your GF is one of them, take a break for a month...see how you feel....it's not like you can't get together after that.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:11 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by VibrantQueen View Post
Paul, I'm fairly new to the forum and have eight days of no alcohol under my belt. I'm in no way portraying that I have all of the answers but some things in your posts do concern me.

I remember you had one thread that was moved, and you got upset and angry...left the forum and decided to drink again. The moderators were trying to explain to you that it was not personal, just the way the forum is set up and you stormed away saying that you would do it on your own.

From the outside looking in, it seems that you are seeking attention no matter what form it comes in and you act very immature at times when others try to offer or lend you support. Your relationship with your girlfriend is a toxic one (you've hinted at this in previous posts) and it definitely a trigger for one of your binges as happened a few weeks back.

Also, YOU have to develop the mindset that YOU want to stop drinking and that YOU can not control alcohol. Alcohol controls YOU....whether that's two beers or two bottles of wine.

Paul, I pray that whatever path you decide to pursue in your quest for sobriety leads you to the place of peace you are seeking.
Yes, people do come to this site looking for attention. I will admit to that. And there's tons of other threads to read. There is no reason to have to post in to this thread if you do not want to be positive.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:22 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
not that being impulsive and positive is a bad thing, it just requires a lot of energy.

Perhaps you and the GF are just mismatched as a couple if you fight a lot. or you are outgrowing the relationship? if you have different interests (i remember some fight you posted about the clam juice that spilled on the floor), different personalities, it's time to find someone more in tune with you.

being alone isn't a bad thing sometimes, it gives you peace. you have a big supportive family and friends, other interests and a new puppy. you like your life and you desire and deserve freedom from all the negative stressors in life. If your GF is one of them, take a break for a month...see how you feel....it's not like you can't get together after that.
I'm gonna try my hardest. And yes we have completely different personalities. She likes almost nothing I like and I dislike almost everything she likes. I know how ridiculous it is that we try to make things work. But some reason I think that dysfunction is what we both like. I don't know the psychology behind it but whatever it is, it is not good. I need to do this, she is really weighing my fight down and I know the longer I'm with her the harder it will be to separate in the future.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:31 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pauladmits View Post
Yes, people do come to this site looking for attention. I will admit to that. And there's tons of other threads to read. There is no reason to have to post in to this thread if you do not want to be positive.
It seems as though you just want people to post if they agree with what you are doing.So many people have tried to help, offered support and suggestions but you just dismiss them. If you don't like what they say,because they don't fully support your continuing to drink, then you tell them not to post. People are trying to help, if you could only see that

I will also bow out of this thread now and wish you all the very best
Old 08-28-2012, 11:39 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  
I Just Keep Coming Back

Originally Posted by pauladmits View Post
You chose one sentence out of my entire post to focus on. I will not even bother to ask if you considered any of my other suggestions. You seem to anger or throw a tantrum if someone types something remotely against your thought process. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of success stories here on this forum and each of them decided which path works for them.

One must be open minded enough to accept the fact that our way is not working and we must try a new way if we want this thing called SOBRIETY. I know I do along with the hundreds of others here.

However, as you stated there are tons of other threads to read that will give me the inspiration, support, motivation and/or kick-in-the butt that I need. I read them for months before I even decided to seek recovery. I read them on the first day I started going through withdrawal. I read even read them after having one week sober and I will continue to do so.

Out of respect for those that are still suffering from alcoholism and are looking for support and for those who are celebrating a joyous life of sobriety, I will kindly remove myself from this thread with my prayer for your success in your search for peace.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:54 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Paul,
I have to throw my 2 cents in here and then leave the thread.

I think it is wrong of you to continue to post about your drinking - this is a forum for people that are trying to abstain from alcohol - I see no consistent effort on your part to abstain. You get hostile towards anyone that doesn't agree with you - like - get off my thread - I am here for me - and if you aren't on my side - go away. I think it is unrealistic for you to expect support when you continue to post about YOUR DRINKING and how much you want to stop but will DO NOTHING about stopping.

The longer you continue to post more of this "journal of drinking/not drinking", the more angry people will become - people that are working very, very hard to abstain.

Can't you hear how people are getting fed up with your posts? They want to be supportive but you do not let them.

Hope you decide to abstain before you hit rock bottom. That is a very bad place to go - been there - done that - now I'm 8 months sober and loving life. I truly wish that for you, but you need to change what you are doing - it is not working.

Best,
Pam
Old 08-28-2012, 11:58 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by justhadenough View Post
It seems as though you just want people to post if they agree with what you are doing.So many people have tried to help, offered support and suggestions but you just dismiss them. If you don't like what they say,because they don't fully support your continuing to drink, then you tell them not to post. People are trying to help, if you could only see that

I will also bow out of this thread now and wish you all the very best
I'm not asking for "help". I'm asking for support and positivity. I guess I just have a different interpretation of what this site is about. I personally would never go in to anyone's thread and tell them I'm bowing out and implying that they just dismiss anything being said. I don't dismiss what is being said, I have made plenty of friends here who offer support and still do not agree with what I'm doing.

It's just tough, because it helps me out personally to write all this stuff out and put it out in the open so I can't hide from it. I'm trying to be as honest as possible because I feel when I'm alone I'm not honest with myself. But I have a feeling it's rubbing people the wrong way. I'm not here to get in any arguments or fight about what's right or wrong or be told how bad alcohol is. I understand how bad alcohol is... that's why I'm here.