Notices

An old post hit home

Old 08-24-2012, 07:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

An old post hit home

Do you ever read a post and think that it was written just for you? This morning, I glanced through the headlines and opened, “Slip or Relapse…” It is a 5 year old post that for some reason was reposted this morning. It didn’t just speak to me, it screamed at me.

Yesterday was day 32, but last night I had a drink. It was on purpose. Since I was home alone, and no one would ever know, I decided to make one. It was in a cup the size of a big gulp and could have put out an elephant. It was delicious, so I made a second one. I only made it through half of that one and went to bed early.

This morning I thought that was a bad idea, but I don’t need to tell anyone. I don’t want to lose my 32 days, so I’ll just keep counting. That was until I read the 5 year old thread! So honesty wins. Here I am, posting my fall and admitting to a new day one.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You learn from it....I couldn't get sober until I could get honest...To myself mainly.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Benice

That's very brave of you.

In my mind you lost no days. Those sober were earned. Keep counting and adding newly earned days.

I hope that admitting to your self makes this easier in some way for you. I know you already knew what you did but telling others gives that voice validation.

You are doing great! Keep going from today on as strong as ever.

Day 33 is on the horizon!

All my best to you!
Old 08-24-2012, 08:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by benice View Post

This morning I thought that was a bad idea
What I find when I have a great idea-I need to call another woman in AA or my sponsor... Sheesh, I have done some wild and crazy things-I've been where you are at and it's no fun.. but you are right about honesty it's always good to go with that. You've done it before-so you can get right back to your sobriety and make it through many, many more days if you want. Good luck sweetie!
Old 08-24-2012, 03:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back benice

D
Old 08-24-2012, 04:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
instant

Benice. We never lose our sober days. They are gone. It is great that you opened up here about what happened.

I used to drink and occasionally take over the counter sedatives. I no longer do the sedatives, even thought I have had the idea to from time to time. I am now committed to "taking what comes" and occasionally I find myself saying "I have to embrace it" meaning anything that 'discomforts me'.

Boredom and being at a loose end, and needing a break from oneself can be a bother - have a strategy
Old 08-24-2012, 04:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Think of it as 32-1 and not 0. Don't forget about the 32 days you were sober and just start all over. This is about your life and your journey in life, not a contest to see who can go the most days in a row without drinking!! So be proud, dust yourself off, and get right back on it. You only fail when you give up!
Old 08-24-2012, 04:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

i too re started my sobreity....more than once before
I actually found my solution.
Welcome back...
Old 08-24-2012, 05:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

The beginning of loving one's self.

Honesty is fabulous! Keep moving forward!

Hugs & love,
Old 08-24-2012, 05:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

If there is alcohol in your house you might just want to get rid of it...

On other notes I passed by the wine section of the supermarket and was seriously tempted but did not give in!