Notices

Six weeks sober but not feeling so well

Old 08-23-2012, 07:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Six weeks sober but not feeling so well

Before anything, I want to say thank you. I’ve been reading posts on here for the past six weeks and it has helped lend me strength and hope in my sobriety. I hope I don’t sound too melancholy and glum in this post. I just needed to get a few things off my chest and share my experience.

It’s been six weeks since my last drink. I don’t have a desire to drink right now, which is wonderful, but I’m in kind of a rut otherwise. Some things are definitely better – I don’t have the usual anxiousness that accompanies me, nor do I have the relentless guilt, shame, and sickness of the next day(s). Yet, my energy levels are at an all-time low, I’m depressed, tired, unmotivated, and stuck in my thoughts. As far as H.A.L.T goes, I’m definitely lonely and tired, and the fatigue has definitely crept into my thoughts quite uncomfortably.

For example, I’m a writer and a relatively new English teacher, but writing these sentences is a considerable strain on my mind. I’m in a weird, dull haze, as if my mind is filled with a pound of dense mud. Writing often helps me lift the cloudiness, but that hasn’t helped in recent days (writing is extremely hard now). Nothing has, really. I’m assuming this is PAWS. If so, I hope it gets better soon for various reasons. Until then I’ll keep working on my sobriety. Telling myself that each symptom is a sign of my brain recovering often helps, so does coming to these boards and reading your thoughts and experiences. Being sober is definitely better than being drunk, but being sober is not without its challenges. I'm doing my best to adapt.

I’m not sure what I’m getting at but I thought I’d get out my experience and see if I could get some of your input. Thanks for reading.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I had about 10 years back-in-the day and can totally remember 6 weeks.
For me, little slumps like that came and went for about a year....they usually don't last long. Please take care of yourself....eat right...try to get enough sleep, etc.

It will pass....
Old 08-23-2012, 07:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

Call it PAWS, although PAWS may not show for several months and can last a long time... Call it anything or call it your brain re-normalizing after alcoholic drinking.

Alcohol is a depressant, it makes the normal brain patterns change. It disrupts the sleep cycle, and all body system functions.

For those of us who drink regularly and alcoholically (more than the "typical" drinker, yet we don't really get as drunk as they do, so we drink more and more), alcohol acts as a stimulant. For those "typical" drinkers, it acts like it's supposed to and depresses and tires them out.

Our bodies are regulating and normalizing when we stop drinking. Your symptoms indicate long term heavy drinking and you are just getting your body to be "normal" again. And, as I drank, I always thought I was normal, getting sober for 15+ months, I realize how much alcohol damaged my body systems. It gets better, it really does.

Heal well. Give time time. Let your brain and body get normal again.

I assume you studied hard when you weren't drinking and tested (for college classes) when "sober," and drank after studying.... State-dependent learning is what I'm getting at. It will take time to heal the neurons so you can read, write and do arithmetic "normally" while healing....

Stay strong and stay stopped! You may want to look into a program of recovery, those difficult times may arise and you may want to be prepared for this.

I wish you well in your recovery journey!
Old 08-23-2012, 07:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advice, Bruce. I do try to remind myself that it takes time.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks, sugerbear. Your assumptions were correct -- I definitely was sober while studying and testing, then drank heavily. It's amazing I made it through college and grad school. I was lucky but don't wish to push that luck any further.

I drank for 16 years (since I was 15). I know this will take time. Thanks for the knowledge and encouragement!
Old 08-23-2012, 07:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome DarkPassenger!

Congratulations on your 6 weeks! I can relate to the symptoms you described, especially the tiredness and lack of motivation. I felt the same way for a couple months after getting sober. It definitely got better, so hang in there. Apparently, there can still be positive changes in things like brain function well after a year.

Glad you're joining us!
Old 08-23-2012, 07:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you for the welcome, artsoul!
Old 08-23-2012, 08:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome DP

Have you been checked out by a Dr? I'd probably make that a priority - just to rule out any illnesses or maladies....we can get pretty run down drinking....

good to have you with us

D
Old 08-23-2012, 08:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Dee. Yep, I'm going through the rundown with my doctor starting next week.