Notices

Suggestions

Old 08-22-2012, 04:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Suggestions

Hello Everyone, Life has been good on Aug.19th I had 14 months clean. My problem is this for the past month I have been surrounded by people in their active addiction. At work, at my house it seems every time I turn around anymore it is in my face. This has been very upsetting for me I am still pretty new to sobriety. I know that this is a part of life and I cannot change that. Has this happened to anyone else and if so how did you deal with it?
Old 08-22-2012, 04:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's important to set boundaries in our lives.
That can be hard when you're used to people pleasing like I was, but it can be done.

I made boundaries and I insisted people stuck to them. No booze or drugs in or around my house for example.

I avoided the boozefests and the druggy parties because they held no interest for me and I had no business being there.

I also tried hard to fill my life with the kind of people I wanted to be around, and be like...

I found that all that pretty much naturally drove my old buddies - the ones interested in my old lifestyle - away.

D
Old 08-22-2012, 04:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi lhenderson . Congratulations on your 14 months! I like what Dee said about establishing firm boundaries. Also, what techniques have helped you so far in staying sober? You must have a pretty solid program for yourself.

During this overwhelming time is there any way you can make your home or at least your own little corner of it a total safe haven? That's what I had to do. I had to know I had this one place exempt from negativity & from booze. That meant no more alcohol in the house & no harmful people. Eventually that has lead to me being able to better take care of me. Even stopped a lot of behaviors like loaning (giving) money to others, acquiescing constantly, stopped letting myself be treated poorly. That sort of thing.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 14 months!

My home is alcohol free always. It keeps life simple.

If someone at work is an addict and causing problems, can you speak to your boss and find out what can be done?